Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PlatinumTel Real Paygo: 5 voice, 2 SMS, 10 MB

Carriers
    PTel
    PlatinumTel
    Feedback Score

PlatinumTel Real Paygo: 5 voice, 2 SMS, 10 MB

We will be announcing a new pay-as-you-go plan tomorrow named "Real Paygo". This plan will feature the least expensive and simplest rates in pay go today:

Voice: 5 cents a minute
    SMS: 2 cents a message
    Data: 10 cents a megabyte
    Picture messaging: 10 cents a message

Plans:
    $10 - 90 days
    $20 - 90 days
    $30 - 180 days
    $50 - 180 days
    $100 - 365 days

All airtime carries over for one full year as long as user replenishes account before service expiration. There is a 50 cent monthly fee.

Real Paygo will be made available on Monday the 24th

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    That's pretty good. Maybe I'll add a PTel phone to the collection soon.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PTel
    We will be announcing a new pay-as-you-go plan tomorrow named "Real Paygo". This plan will feature the least expensive and simplest rates in pay go today:

Voice: 5 cents a minute
    SMS: 2 cents a message
    Data: 10 cents a megabyte
    Picture messaging: 10 cents a message

Plans:
    $10 - 90 days
    $20 - 90 days
    $30 - 180 days
    $50 - 180 days
    $100 - 365 days

All airtime carries over for one full year as long as user replenishes account before service expiration. There is a 50 cent monthly fee.

Real Paygo will be made available on Monday the 24th
    So the per minute and per message rates are fixed(ie don't vary based on the pin? Also you mentioned airtime carrying over for 1 year as long as you replenish... You don't mean minutes expire after being on the phone for 1 year no matter what right? I'm guessing you mean that as long as keep adding money periodically the airtime would roll over indefinitely right? Does the time stack like net10 or expire based on the last pin? ie if I put a $20 and and $30 pin on the phone would all the minutes expire in 270 days or would $20 expire in 90 days and $30 expire in 180 days? Any websites that explain these details?

What about phones that can be used? Is there byod and are there any limitations on what types of data can be utilized?

Also are there any packages of text messages or data available to make it cheaper? ie any 2000 text bundles or 50MB packs etc?

Thanks!

Carriers
    PTel
    PlatinumTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncguy
    So the per minute and per message rates are fixed(ie don't vary based on the pin? Also you mentioned airtime carrying over for 1 year as long as you replenish... You don't mean minutes expire after being on the phone for 1 year no matter what right? I'm guessing you mean that as long as keep adding money periodically the airtime would roll over indefinitely right? Does the time stack like net10 or expire based on the last pin? ie if I put a $20 and and $30 pin on the phone would all the minutes expire in 270 days or would $20 expire in 90 days and $30 expire in 180 days? Any websites that explain these details?

What about phones that can be used? Is there byod and are there any limitations on what types of data can be utilized?

Also are there any packages of text messages or data available to make it cheaper? ie any 2000 text bundles or 50MB packs etc?

Thanks!

In regards to your question about stacking, if you load a $20 and a $30, you will get 180 days for the full bucket of $50 in airtime. Assuming that on your 179th day you still have $10 in your account, if you load another PIN, the remaining $10 carries over for another 180 days.

You will be limited to phones available on line and at PlatinumTel retailers. We will be introducing additional handsets in late June with full QWERTY.

As for packages, Real Paygo though affordable and simple, is not for everybody. PlatinumTel will soon be introducing data and SMS centric plans that target those specific needs.

Feedback Score
    So on the handsets, there are no tie ins between plans and handsets? ie on the sprint plans you can only use certain handsets with certain plans. So any ptel handset can be utilized on the Paygo plan right?

Also is there a website where the details are posted yet?

Phones
    Android
    LG Optimus L9
    Carrier
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Not sure I understand the 50cent fee. Does that mean if you buy a $10/90 day card, that 15% of it is eaten up by the 50cent/month fee? thanks

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is a VERY strong pay go offering.

Carriers
    Ultra (this month)
    Feedback Score
    You will be limited to phones available on line and at PlatinumTel retailers.
    5˘/min and 90 day expiration are both very attractive. But not being able to BYOD is a disadvantage.

Feedback Score
    NO Sprint prepaid mvno offers byod to any degree EXCEPT Platinum Tel . Ptel is allowed to put other Sprint mvno phones onto its network but NOT Sprint postpaid (like Boost cdma which is a prepaid division of Sprint, directly owned by them, not a independent mvno which buys airtime from Sprint but is otherwise unaffiliated).

Platinum Tel requires that you have the msl/spc code of the phone before it is attempted to activate it on their system. Phones eligible include ones form Kajeet, Airlink/Powerlink, STI, Liberty Wireless, Xtreme Mobile, Total Call, Ready Mobile and others.

Phones from Boost cdma, Virgin Mobile or Sprint proper are not allowed. This is controlled by Sprint . They do not want their mvnos to have too much byod. Liberty Wireless had a rapid rise and fall when it attempted to buck this trend by allowing Byod for Sprint postpaid, Sprint prepaid division and other Sprint mvno phones allowed on its network. Proof is that it worked for a little while because Hofos actually put Virgin Mobile phones onto Liberty (previously though impossible). After several glorious weeks, Sprint killed it and effectively crippled Liberty Wireless's differentiator.

I don't think Platinum Tel wants its limited but existing byod taken away like Liberty did (which they did by boldly offering it). Ptel seems to be lowkey about its byod.

Sprint mvnos are allowed to say that they run on the Sprint nationwide network rather openly compared to Att, Tmobile and Verizon mvnos but they are hamstrung by the byod issue.

On the other hand, the other three majors allow byod but no advertising.

Tradeoffs.

Great rates btw. The Ptel Facebook page confirms it. You think that Common Cents Mobile is the reason Sprint is giving its mvnos a more generous paygo rate?

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote "Platinum Tel requires that you have the msl/spc code of the phone before it is attempted to activate it on their system. Phones eligible include ones form Kajeet, Airlink/Powerlink, STI, Liberty Wireless, Xtreme Mobile, Total Call, Ready Mobile and others."

A question. What is the msl/spc code? Is this something I can get off the handset? Also I have a NIB Kajeet Katana 2 I bought for my daughter but she didn't like it-wanted a keyboard phone. Would this work on Ptel?
    For my personal use this is a very strong offering. I call,SMS and on occasion send a picture message. Data use is rare but I like having it.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This does seem to be a very strong PAYGO offering with the exception of phone choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz
    Phones eligible include ones form Kajeet, Airlink/Powerlink, STI, Liberty Wireless, Xtreme Mobile, Total Call, Ready Mobile and others.
    Do you know if any of these MVNOs offer qwerty smartphones? (Windows Mobile devices ideally) I see a photo of a Motorola Q on the Ptel website, but it doesnt seem to be for sale (and that phone is a bit long in the tooth for me).

EDIT: I checked all the MVNO's listed and didn't see any smartphones. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

Feedback Score

Byod on Ptel

The spc/msl code is the six digit (usually) master subsidy lock code which is needed to have access to the deeper programming menus. Without it , you can't put another Sprint mvno phone onto Ptel.

The easiest way is to call the company up that the phone belongs to and try to get the spc code from them via the esn number on the phone. Another way to read the spc/msl code is to use a program like bitpim (free online).

Google it.

Usually if the activation goes through successfully, you will get talk/text. As it is not a common occurence to put a Sprint mvno phone onto Ptel , there is no real database for it.

You would be able to get talk/text but web configuration may require a higher degree of effort then mere activation.

Byod does not allow the following: Any Sprint postpaid phone, Sprint prepaid division phone (Assurance, Virgin, Boost, Common Cents). No other Carrier's cdma phones are allowed either.

Only other Sprint mvnos are allowed (Kajeet, Liberty, etc).

Sprint prepaid divisions and mvnos are similar but are not exactly the same.

Sprint prepaid divisions are directly owned by Sprint. Mvnos are all independently owned but run on Sprint.

There are other Sprint mvnos. Keep looking if you want a phone Ptel does not have. Ptel dealers usually have a larger selection then what is offered on the website from my understanding including possibly qwerty types.

The best phones for Sprint mvnos are their own phones in terms of support and programming compatibility. Sprint is giving its mvnos better rates but they are not budging on their byod stance which is one of the few aces it has left . It's already giving out more unlimited plans and the lowest data rates of any mvno programs out there.

Phone
    Yes
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncguy
    You don't mean minutes expire after being on the phone for 1 year no matter what right?
    That appears to be exactly what they mean.

Please note:

"In regards to your question about stacking, if you load a $20 and a $30, you will get 180 days for the full bucket of $50 in airtime. Assuming that on your 179th day you still have $10 in your account, if you load another PIN, the remaining $10 carries over for another 180 days."

And:

"All airtime carries over for one full year as long as user replenishes account before service expiration."

While I'm certain that this is not intentionally deceptive, I wonder how many people will realize that the balance from each individual refill (much like AT&T's Rollover minutes) is only good for one year, regardless of how many subsequent refills are added.

Say you add a $100, 1-year refill on May 1st. Twelve months later, after making $50 in calls, and minus a year's worth of fees ($6.00), you'll have $44.00 left in your account. After the twelfth month, that $44.00 disappears, even if you add another refill before your expiration date.

In other words (and if I'm wrong about this, please correct me), PlatinumTel is going to reward customer loyalty by simply eliminating any money in your account that is more than a year old. Not good eats, there.

This will have the effect of artificially (meaning through corporate ineptitude, rather than through market forces) limiting revenue, as customers find the EXACT amount of minutes (texts, data, etc.) that they need and spend not a penny more. No doubt some marketing genius at PlatinumTel thinks that if they systematically remove funds from customer accounts (customers who have, in good faith, purchased their product over the course of a year), that these people are going to continue to give them money. Incredible.

The rates are very competitive, but how'd you like to be handling calls at PTel CS when the first wave of irate customers sees their year-old balances depleted for what seems to them like no good reason? I think I'd rather be a minnow in Chief Brody's bucket of chum.
    Last edited by GravityFails; 05-20-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Huawei E1831 (webConnect Rocket)
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    So...guessing that there will be the Kyocera QWERTY phone and the LG Rumor2?

It's kind of a shame...data so cheap, yet you can't get a smartphone to run it on.
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Feedback Score
    Ptel's new rates are the best paygo flat rates in the country in prepaid for mvno or prepaid division regardless of carrier.

Nobody can even begin to touch these rates . 90 day expiry on the smallest cards.
    Data at an unbelievable dime a meg (Verizon mvnos are six to twelve times as much.)
    Text at two cents?

Oh, there's that bugaboo, 50 cents a month maintenance fee.

Well, boo hoo.

Ptel has a true winner on their hands with this plan.

Methinks that 2010 will be the year of the prepaid paygo wars...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast