Phones
    Apple iPhone 5s
    iPhone 5s
    Carriers
    Rogers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Location Could Not Be Determined - iPhone

A little while back (2 months ago) I was having trouble with my phone not being able to find its location. For the whole week it wasn't working and then suddenly the following Monday morning it worked again (Thanks Bell).

Now my problems are back again. For the past couple of weeks I have had on and off trouble with it. The only way I am able to get a location is when I am outside with a clear view of the sky (it works really well in that situation) but when I am for example sitting on the GO Train it has a hard time even guessing my location and I get a message saying "Your location could not be determined".

I believe this issue has to do with the cell tower triangulation. Some days it gives me a rough estimate right away and others it can't seem to find it in the same location.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... the iPhone is interesting... if it can't see the GPS signal indoors it'll take the last successfully read coordinates and assign that to your location... How long has it been since you rebooted your iPhone? It could even be the GPS chip in the phone dying...
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Also, it could be a case or something like that, thats now disrupting the signal...

Just thinking off the hook....

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5s
    iPhone 5s
    Carriers
    Rogers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's very strange because I understand that when it doesn't have a clear view of the sky that it can't get a gps fix. That's not what I'm talking about though.

It's when I'm hoping that it will give me a rough estimate that it doesn't work. For example sometimes in my own home it will roughly tell me where I am almost instantly and then other times (while still in my home) it will say "location cannot be determined". I'm guessing the phone has to be connected to at least 2 if not three towers to more accurately determine its rough location so could it be I'm just not connected to enough towers? I have also had the problem while on the GO train in the same locations. Where there is not much to get in the way of signals.

Anyone else having trouble with this?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think you're reading into the tower-triangulation thing too much. The iPhone doesn't really use that for any of the GPS applications - it may use the supplemental data to get the initial relative position, but then it takes the last known GPS read to pinpoint you... I've tested it... where the last read I took was at Pape and Gerrard, and while I was inside a parking garage at Yonge and Sheppard where I had a signal, it fixed locally, then it "bounced" to Pape and Gerrard... then it bounced back to the general area I was in, but couldn't get anything more than a rough (read 6 block radius) fix.