Phones
    HTC Desire/iPhone4
    Nokia5230/Samsung Vibrant
    NexusOne/Nokia N900
    Carrier
    Wind/Rogers/Fido
    Feedback Score

Dropped Calls Caused By Defective SIM Card

As of recent I've been having a lot of dropped calls. The dropped calls issue occurs frequently with-in a few seconds/minutes after connecting the call. Sometimes the call would drop during the connection process after the number has been dialed. What is strange about this issue is the phone would have fairly good reception (almost full bars) and out of no where, lose the signal followed by dropping the call. Within seconds to minutes, the phone would pick-up the signal again with full bars.

I've tried several phones (Nexus one, N900, Huawei) on Wind with the same result. I was pretty much convinced it was network issues. As a last attempt to troubleshoot the issue, I tried an Wind sim from another subscriber in one of my phones and did not notice any dropped calls. I immediately drove to a Wind/blockbuster store to swap the sim. Since the sim swap, I haven't had any dropped calls in areas with strong coverage leaving me to believe the sim card I originally had was defective.

Just curious if anyone else experienced this?

Feedback Score
    happened to me a few weeks back.. couldnt figure out what was causing this until i took my sim out and reinserted and it gave me SOS mode. Took it to the wind store they replaced it and the guy told me it had happened quite a bit

Feedback Score
    Yup if you are witnessing dropped calls or bad speech quality such as what beer wisdom is witnessing have your SIM swapped out because their is an issue with your current SIM. Wind has changed the vendor that supplies them SIMS now.

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    THANK YOU for posting this. I've been living with dropped calls for weeks and was getting frustrated. I will try a SIM swap.

Phones
    Various
    Various
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    +1
    Good tip.
    Wind at your service! I dont work for Wind either!

Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Could this bad SIM issue have been the main reason for the dropped call issue over the last six months?

If so why has WIND not make it public and avoid all the bad PR?

Phone
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I encountered Bad SIMs more than you would think. I had a user that had issues calling to the US, swapped the SIM and calls worked fine. You'd be surprised what swapping a sim can fix.

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    Sony Ericsson TM717, BlackBerry Z10,
    BlackBerry Q10, Nokia N900
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Clearnet, Peoples (HK), Cantel/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Anybody with a bad SIM want to post their SIM numbers? Maybe leave out the last digit.

Phones
    Various
    Various
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Lets get the ball rolling....I have no problem with my sim .....and I will start with mine (good one) and lets see if there is a trend

89302 49010 00169 XXXX - 2 of my phones and a USB stick had this series

I had earlier ones, without problems, but are not in used. I swapped sims in late april because I was finally confident enough to port over my bell #

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Mine starts with 89302 49010 xxx too but that might be all wind sims?

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I am also having now Issue with the same first 10 digits on my SIM

Phones
    Galaxy S III
    Sony Ericsson TM717, BlackBerry Z10,
    BlackBerry Q10, Nokia N900
    Carriers
    WIND Mobile, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile,
    Clearnet, Peoples (HK), Cantel/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I think it's safe to assume all WIND SIMs will start with that. The next set of numbers are more important. I've got:

89302 49010 00153 XXXX - USB
    89302 49010 00114 XXXX - phone

Neither one has any problems.

Phones
    HTC Desire/iPhone4
    NexusOne/Nokia N900
    Carrier
    Wind/Rogers/Fido
    Feedback Score
    Since the Sim swap, the experience has been much more pleasant. Dropped calls have been minimized.

I actually wrote down the number to my bad sim card before the swap:
    89302 49010 00098 XXXX

Phones
    Nokia E72 X10
    Nokia N95-4 8GB
    IPhone 3G 3GS Iphone 4
    Carriers
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    WIND.GR T-Mobile.DE E-Plus Tchibo Aldi K&K MagnaMobile.DE
    Feedback Score
    Minimized but not solved? The SIM issue has been an interesting one. I know of several people here in the office looking for a cheap cell pkg that have dome multiple SIM swaps and still nothing. It stars off better but still the issue of dropped calls. To be fair they are used to almost perfect service from their old carriers.

at lunch today we got to talking and it struck me in 10 years I have called into Rogers maybe 5 times.. a Women that has Wind said in the last month she has surpassed me many many times over in calls. How often have you called in?

also was the 911 issue ever solved? I had posted that question on the wind forum and it was deleted..

Quote Originally Posted by 2000impreza
    Since the Sim swap, the experience has been much more pleasant. Dropped calls have been minimized.

I actually wrote down the number to my bad sim card before the swap:
    89302 49010 00098 XXXX

Phones
    HTC Desire/iPhone4
    NexusOne/Nokia N900
    Carrier
    Wind/Rogers/Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock
    Minimized but not solved? The SIM issue has been an interesting one. I know of several people here in the office looking for a cheap cell pkg that have dome multiple SIM swaps and still nothing. It stars off better but still the issue of dropped calls. To be fair they are used to almost perfect service from their old carriers.

at lunch today we got to talking and it struck me in 10 years I have called into Rogers maybe 5 times.. a Women that has Wind said in the last month she has surpassed me many many times over in calls. How often have you called in?

also was the 911 issue ever solved? I had posted that question on the wind forum and it was deleted..

Imo "minimized" is probably as good as its going to get with any mobile phone service. Just for comparison, I experienced at least one dropped call every few days on the Bell/Telus HSPA network. Most of my dropped calls on Wind just happened to be corrected by replacing a faulty sim card. I haven't experienced a dropped call for over a day(since the sim card swap) which is a significant improvement. I'm sure dropped calls will be inevitable in weak coverage areas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast