Thread: Gophone sim card lock

Feedback Score

Gophone sim card lock

It's not about unlocking the phone. Maybe someone already found that for some new gophone sim card, it locks down to the first phone you use to activate it. It will not work with any other phone, even if it's an att phone or unlocked phone. If you call Att they will unlock the sim card only after 180 days. But if you go to an Att store or kiosk, they can simply transfer your account to a new sim card and it's unlocked. All you need is to pay one penny for that new sim card. Hope this information is helpful.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    The SIM that came with my Nokia 2330 this mo is not locked. I can use it with another phone. I read somewhere on the forum if you purchase a phone package which includes airtime they will lock the SIM to that phone for 6 mos but just going by what someone else said. Have no persoanl experience in that. I only know my SIM is not locked.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about that since my GoPhone SIM works in other phones besides the one I registered with AT&T at sign up.

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The newer Gophones are set up that way.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Well, I just setup the SIM a few weeks ago.
    I didn't purchase the phone + airtime package, just the SIM.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00
    Well, I just setup the SIM a few weeks ago.
    I didn't purchase the phone + airtime package, just the SIM.
    I just setup my SIM 2 wks ago and I can use it in another phone. I did buy the phone which the SIM came with but not with the airtime pkg. If I remember correctly at the time the phone itself and adding airtime myself was less than the pkg.

Phone
    Samsung SCHR630ZKU
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by saxl View Post
    It's not about unlocking the phone. Maybe someone already found that for some new gophone sim card, it locks down to the first phone you use to activate it. It will not work with any other phone, even if it's an att phone or unlocked phone. If you call Att they will unlock the sim card only after 180 days. But if you go to an Att store or kiosk, they can simply transfer your account to a new sim card and it's unlocked. All you need is to pay one penny for that new sim card. Hope this information is helpful.
    It sure is. I just need a low-budget GSM phone that I can use for testing and activating SIMs to use in my MMS-capable trail cameras. If I can buy new SIMs online and not have to make a ~60-mile round trip to the nearest AT&T store, that's a Good Thing. If I can activate said SIMs online or at least be able to get a text message via the phone for the PIN or password, something the cameras can't do (not yet, anyway), that's a Very Good Thing. As long as I can save time and gasoline and still set up the right plan and package for a given SIM, I'm happy.

Okay, so a Go SIM is locked to one device "unless other steps are taken." If I buy a GoPhone, is the phone "locked" to its original SIM, or can I put any other SIM in it? (Even if I do nothing with the original Go SIM for the entire 180 days.)

Thanks for that info, Saxl.

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Just buy an new sim from ebay or amazon problem fixed, I make it an habit to always to always keep an few extras sims around never know when you will need one and they are very important cheap on ebay.

Sent from my Atrix 2 using Tapatalk 2
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phone
    Samsung SCHR630ZKU
    Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That's what I was thinking, but being mostly a USCC user, I need a way to activate those "spare" SIMs. If I can do it online, that's cool, but my experience with the SIMs I already bought for the cams is, if I didn't get a PIN while I was at the store and I don't have a device that will receive a text message from the provider, I'm kinda out of luck. I'd end up making a trip back to the phone store to have anything done to the SIM.

A lot of the cams don't have an IMEI, so that may complicate things, too.

Rfranzq, thanks for the PM, but clear out your inbox so I can reply, wouldya?
    Last edited by Train_Watchman; 09-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I just did this last night. I had a sim that I bought off Amazon serveral months ago. I went to the gophone page, clicked on activate, entered the sim number (I think it was a regular sim and not a GoPhone Sim), for the imei I entered 000000000000000 (15 zeros), put the sim in an unlocked TMobile flip phone I had and got the pin in a text, setup my account, purchased minutes from calling mart with the fall1210 code (10% off, makes the unlimited plan $45), logged in and entered the pin. If you enter an imei, it will lock the sim to the imei. A phone call to support easily unlocks the sim.

I think you are good if you can track down an att compatible feature phone and just enter in the zero imei.

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Don't pay for a SIM if you have a convenient AT&T corporate store nearby. They give them out for free.
    More Bars in More Places.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I actually had a store refuse to give or sell me a sim. They wanted me to buy a $26 speaker. I told the manager to take a leap and I would never buy from any ATT store location again. So now I just deal with the web store, phone support or Amazon.

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Probably was a 3rd party reseller. Some of the stores, especially mall locations, look like real AT&T stores with all the pretty displays and stuff like that.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a real AT&T corporate store in a mall.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    It was a free standing Corporate Store. I should of called and complained but I did not think about it.

Carrier
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had that issue and I went to the local AT&T corp store and they gave me a new SIM card for free and transferred my contacts over to it. The new one lets me swap no problem and it hasn't been 6 months yet, The new SIM card was unlocked where as the GoPhone one wasn't.