Thread: porting old GSM tracfone number to new CDMA tracfone - problems?

Feedback Score

porting old GSM tracfone number to new CDMA tracfone - problems?

Hi folks, I've had an AT&T V170 tracfone for several years and have a new CDMA LG290c coming in the mail. Just wondering if there would be any problems porting the number and minutes to the new phone from the tracfone website or would it be better to call CS. I do want to keep the same number if possible. The number is an original tracfone activated number and location is Phx, AZ where we have both AT&T and Verzon service.

Thanks in advance for the help. Terry

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    You need to call Miami at 1-800-876-5753. The regular CS will tell you that you cannot transfer the phone number. This will likely require a port due to the change in underlying providers (even though both are Tracfones) and will take at least 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    I'm having a similar problem -- Tracfone did port my number and minutes from a Nokia 1100 phone using AT&T to an LG 290C, but after 5 days Verizon doesn't recognize my number . How did you resolve your problem?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I had to do something similar when I transferred my number and minutes from an old GSM phone (Motorola W376g) to a new CDMA phone (LG 290C). I first tried to do the complete transaction online, which didn't work at all, so I called the customer service number (1-800-867-7183) to do it. We were able to successfully transfer the number and minutes, but the phone still wouldn't make or receive calls/texts after several hours. I called the same customer service number the following day, put in a number of additional codes as directed by customer service, and I finally got the phone to work.

So: you can transfer from a GSM to a CDMA, it just is a bit of a pain. In my case, the state in which I will use the phone the most (the zip code I gave them) was different than the area I activated the phone from, so I may have actually had more difficulties than other will have.

P.S.: One suggestion to anyone out there who is transferring numbers via telephone but doesn't have a landline to do it from: try Skype! The user name "tracfone.ghost" (+18008677183) can be used to make a free call.

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vt121 View Post
    I had to do something similar when I transferred my number and minutes from an old GSM phone (Motorola W376g) to a new CDMA phone (LG 290C). I first tried to do the complete transaction online, which didn't work at all, so I called the customer service number (1-800-867-7183) to do it. We were able to successfully transfer the number and minutes, but the phone still wouldn't make or receive calls/texts after several hours. I called the same customer service number the following day, put in a number of additional codes as directed by customer service, and I finally got the phone to work.

So: you can transfer from a GSM to a CDMA, it just is a bit of a pain. In my case, the state in which I will use the phone the most (the zip code I gave them) was different than the area I activated the phone from, so I may have actually had more difficulties than other will have.

P.S.: One suggestion to anyone out there who is transferring numbers via telephone but doesn't have a landline to do it from: try Skype! The user name "tracfone.ghost" (+18008677183) can be used to make a free call.
    You do realize this thread you are responding to is from last year, don't you?