Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Virgin Mobile from Tracfone

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Question Switching to Virgin Mobile from Tracfone

Hi all, I've been lurking around here since the announce of the new plans, and I soon plan to jump ship from Tracfone to VM's $25 beyond talk plan.

But I have a few questions about the transition.

1.) How does porting work, can you port from prepaid to prepaid, and how long does it take?

2.) Does the beyond talk plan allow for unlimited data or is it capped?

3.) Anything else about Virgin Mobile that I should know?

I would most likely get the Rumor Touch with my new plan. I've had Trac for two years and this seems great for a highschooler like me. Watched peestandingup's youtube review. Anyone else have any full reviews/videos? Thanks all!
    Cricket user since August 2014.
    Was Virgin Mobile user from June 2010 to August 2014.
    Was TracFone user from May 2008 to June 2010.

Phone
    BB 8530 Curve 2
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sassygir.../0/pYgoIqgORBQ

I found the above youtube review, and she's focusing more on the apps. In her channel she has another video regarding the touch, but it wasn't what I was interested in, which was just to see how the apps worked.

I ultimately decided on the blackberry and ordered it on Saturday. I am awaiting confirmation of shipment, because my current time with metropcs runs out Monday of next week. Am hoping I can port my number while the account is still active, as I read that ports go through much smoother that way.
    newbie here - be gentle

Phone
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Read Reviews

Since you are switching over from scratch i thought I'd put my two cents in. Yes you can move your number from prepaid to prepaid, the data on the plans is unlimited however unlimited doesn't mean if you can fig out how to tether your phone to a computer you can do it (virgin defines unlimited as not unreasonable use), and anything else about VM to know....customer service is generally good in my 7 years of having VM, also they switch up plans a lot so if you find a plan you love dont leave it. If you have a plan and they phase it out, they will let you keep it until you change plans or your account becomes inactive (you dont pay your monthly charge/dont top up in 90 days).

Also....when it comes to the Rumor Touch please PLEASE don't let the sexiness of it get to you. Read reviews on Sprint's site to get an idea of its quality. I would warn you against it only because it has a resistive touch screen (means two points of metal touch when you touch the screen) which tend to become quite buggy with long term use. So make sure you read some older reviews of the unit on sprint's site or on Cnet.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Be prepared for porting hell from Trac. Seriously. Avoid them at all costs people.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    Be prepared for porting hell from Trac. Seriously. Avoid them at all costs people.
    Truth! I am still waiting on a port to be done that was initiated on the 16th!
    I need some judges at my website for a contest, PM me for more info.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    What should I expect? How long are ports "supposed" to take?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Almost immediately to a few days is normal for the industry. Trac is just hell to work with, though.

Phone
    BB 8530 Curve 2
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, after reading threads like this, I became concerned and looked this up. It would seem the FCC changed their rules regarding how much time a simple port should take. Used to be 4 days. Now its 1 day.

http://www.fcc.gov/cib/consumerfacts/numbport.html

I believe switching from one cell phone service provider to another is considered a simple port.

edited to add: this rule change is to take effect late summer 2010.

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tracfone. Ahem...

5 years ago when I left crapfone and came to VM, I ported two numbers over. The first took about 4 days. VM handled everything really well, it was Tracfone that caused the delay. The second number I moved over about a month later (I wanted to burn off all my tracfone minutes first) worked in about a day and a half. Again, VM handled it well but tracfone slowed them down. They weren't in a hurry to lose another customer I guess...

Overall, the experience wasn't THAT bad, and I'm much happier at VM. So yes, you can move a # from prepaid to prepaid...it just depends on how long it takes the old company to release your # to the new company.

Good luck!!
    "If it's for freeeeee, it's for meeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsi
    Truth! I am still waiting on a port to be done that was initiated on the 16th!
    You should call Trac. I had to and they FINALLY after 3 days manually released the number.

Feedback Score
    You should call Trac. I had to and they FINALLY after 3 days manually released the number.
    I finally gave up today. I have been calling everyday both companies with absolutely no resolution. Today I was again on the phone with both companies as Virgin Mobile initiated a port. Straight Talk received the port and sent the confirmation. Error shows up with Virgin Mobile. Straight talk again says they will investigate and contact within 48 hours. I told them that my phone has been disconnected through this process and asked if I could receive a temporary number. He asked his supervisor and was turned down for the request. I am done with Straight Talk and I am pissed at Virgin Mobile for dragging their feet on the whole situation.

Phones
    LG Rumor Touch
    Lg Optimus S
    Carrier
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    when i moved over i just didnt even port my number because of the hassel

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    So let's say I want to port my number? How do I go about doing that then?

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7725
    So let's say I want to port my number? How do I go about doing that then?
    Initiate the port with Virgin. Then after a few hours, call Trac and tell them Virgin said it needs to be manually released. They will verify your info, put you on hold, then release it.

Phone
    Kyocera Loft
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You shouldn't have to call Trac phone at all, unless they work differently from any other carrier. I've had to port from VM to Verizon then again I went from Verizon to VM. Both times you need to call the carrier your are GOING TO and they will initiate the port, you do not need to call your current carrier.

If you looked at the FAQs on Virgin's site they explicitly ask you not to call your current carrier to ensure your number wont be deactivated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast