Thread: Can we use money from account balance to pay for new phone?

Feedback Score

Can we use money from account balance to pay for new phone?

I have accumulated cash in my VM account. I hardly use my phone and the cash just accumulated in there as I deposited $15/3 months or so. Anyways, I remember seeing a thread in this forum (but for some reason I can't find it) that said it was possible to use some of the cash in your account balance to help pay for a new phone.

The new VM phones (Rumor Touch and Blackberry 8530) look interesting and I was thinking it would be nice if I could use some of that accumulated account balance to get one of them.

I looked at VM's website and logged into my account and I couldn't see any option to use some of the balance to help pay for a new phone.

Also, is it possible to get a Blackberry or Touch and continue to use the old pay-as-you-go plans? I heard conflicting information on this.

Thanks for any help or information.

Phone
    Lumia_635, iPhone_5S
    Carrier
    at&t_GP, Virgin_Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoosterGold
    I have accumulated... Anyways, ...possible to use some of the cash in your account balance to help pay for a new phone.

...Thanks for any help or information.
    Yes. If you have enough to cover the purchase price there is an option to use your balance to pay for the purchase. If you do not have enough balance and want to use your available funds to "help pay" for the purchase, you will need to call VM cs @ 1-866-277-6124 they will help you complete the purchase.

Feedback Score
    And that money can also be used to pay for the new (more expensive) unlimited plans service (that's what I'm doing with the Blackberry service).

Feedback Score
    Thanks! You're right! I just logged into my account and put the Rumor Touch in my cart and when I went to the checkout, I saw a new option in the drop-down list where I would use my account balance to pay for it!

I didn't see it previously because I had chosen the Blackberry and my balance wasn't enough to pay for it so the option wasn't there.

I'm so happy that I can use my accumulated balance to get a new phone.

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Isn't that great? It's one of the VM features I really LOVE. I use my account balance whenever I want to upgrade to a new phone...Glad you got yours!!
    "If it's for freeeeee, it's for meeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Feedback Score
    Could someone walk me through the process of doing this? I've gone to Virgin Mobile USA's site, clicked on the Rumor Touch, added to cart, went to checkout, and...I find no option to pay for it from my account balance, and I have more than enough. I've tried this in IE and Firefox.

I've even called and asked 3 people (including a supervisor) and was told that I could only pay with credit card or paypal. The supervisor said something about the system not being tied in to accept payments via account balance because the phone was too new, and this seemed rather odd to me. She said that she would call me back sometime when they got that part of the system working.

I was also told by one of the tier-1 customer service representatives that I couldn't use the Beyond Talk $25 plan with the Rumor Touch. I "had to use the $40 or $60 plan, company policy." but there was no further explanation.

All I want to do is purchase this phone! Can someone please help me? The people I spoke with didn't seem to know what they were talking about, and I was rather disappointed.

(Also, slightly unrelated: does it come in various colors? I didn't see that option when I added to the cart.)

Feedback Score
    What I did was log into my account. Then I went to the phones and picked the Rumor Touch. Then I pressed the "Add to Cart" button. Then I go to my cart. I see an option to Check-Out or Check-Out with PayPal.

I choose Check-Out.

I get to a screen where I can fill out my Shipping Info and Billing Info. At the Billing Info section, you will see a drop-down listbox for Payment Method. At the bottom of that list I see an option for "My Cash Balance".

Hope this helps. I think this is a great feature of VM.

Feedback Score
    That worked, thank you! I'm surprised that even the supervisor didn't know this. I followed the instructions just as you said, and it worked.

I wasn't able to choose the color of my phone, so I assume it'll come in black, since that's what was on the site.