Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Use iPhone SIM in USB Modem?

Feedback Score

Use iPhone SIM in USB Modem?

I'm sorry if this question is posted in the wrong forum.

I have an iPhone 3GS, and would like to get a USB modem so I can occasionally use its SIM card in a laptop. I prefer not to jailbreak the phone, so I'm talking about removing the SIM from the phone and popping it into a USB modem.

I tried it once in an Aircard, but wasn't able to get connected. That Aircard later disappeared, so I can buy any replacement brand if it's available on eBay.

Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Might be possible with some APN changes. I think the phone and regular usb modems access the internet differently.
    Currently listening to: Oli G - Orchid

Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Pi ra cy discussions are not allowed here.
    You are ban ned!

Feedback Score
    I forgot to add that the carrier is ATT (United States).

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    What does that have to do with Apple?

Thread moved.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Nokia N79, e71, e62, 6555, 6126, 6030, 2610
    Moto V3XX, c168, V710
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Ex-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    if you can change the apn, then yes it should work.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Note, that if you are using a USB modem that is sold by AT&T, they will likely detect the change in the ESN and either block your account or force you into a stand-alone data plan.

If you use a USB modem not sold or supported by AT&T, you have a better shot of getting it to work.

Use the wap.cingular APN in either case.

Jim

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking of doing this too. I noticed my Walmart now carries prepaid USB data sticks from AT&T (and Virgin Mobile and Verizon). I don't know what model though.

The prepaid data plan prices are bad from AT&T. They want like $50 for 500MB (VM gives 5GB for $60 which I have.) I'd love to be able to move my iPhone sim into that USB stick on occassion.

Though I am probably the only one who would pay for a tethering plan as I do not want to jailbreak either.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    4.0 should be bringing tethering for the standard rate to iPhones. So just hold out a bit longer .
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Feedback Score
    Short answer - No. And, to preface the following, I stick to the TOS.

To use a phones SIM in a data card or another phone for data use, the SIM must be provisioned for tethering. ATTWS iPhones can't be provisioned for tethering at this writing.

I'd offer another solution, it's what I use for my small business. One of my accounts is a Family Plan, it costs me $10 per month when I keep it active - it's month-to-month, and I use an older ATTWS phone with an HSPDA "modem", generally keep the line "suspended" so I'm not charged when I don't use it. When I know I'm going to need data on the road, I reactivate the line and activate DataConnect (tethering) - it takes about 2-4 minutes online, or I can call 611 to effect both. DataConnect when "tethering" is no-contract, no commitment, and pro-rated - I pay a pro-rated amount if I keep the line and DC active for a few days. I deactivate DC and then the line when I'm not needing the data on the road. QED, for me.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austex
    I'm sorry if this question is posted in the wrong forum.

I have an iPhone 3GS, and would like to get a USB modem so I can occasionally use its SIM card in a laptop. I prefer not to jailbreak the phone, so I'm talking about removing the SIM from the phone and popping it into a USB modem.

I tried it once in an Aircard, but wasn't able to get connected. That Aircard later disappeared, so I can buy any replacement brand if it's available on eBay.

Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you.
    Yeah it works with no problems at all..I do it all the time. You have to use the generic USB modem software (for example if you have a Sierra modem, use the Sierra software, not the AT&T software) so you can change the APN. If you need more details PM me and i'll walk you through it.

I use an AT&T branded USB modem as well and have never gotten in any trouble..and I'm going on two years now.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb
    Short answer - No. And, to preface the following, I stick to the TOS.

To use a phones SIM in a data card or another phone for data use, the SIM must be provisioned for tethering. ATTWS iPhones can't be provisioned for tethering at this writing.
    This is absolutely incorrect.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig
    This is absolutely incorrect.
    No, it's absolutely CORRECT per Terms Of Service. There may or may not be ways around it, but it is not AT&T supported and in violation of the Terms Of Service for your use of AT&T's wireless network.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    no need to jailbreak to tether ... just change the carrier profile on your iphone simple google search willl help u... google stealth 6.0 carrier ipcc ... i have been tethering for a long time i even did mms b4 it came out using this ipcc take a couple minutes and your done no jailbreak required just a simple update to the carrier profile

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy
    No, it's absolutely CORRECT per Terms Of Service. There may or may not be ways around it, but it is not AT&T supported and in violation of the Terms Of Service for your use of AT&T's wireless network.
    I was referring to the below comment when I stated it was incorrect, not the TOS!

"To use a phones SIM in a data card or another phone for data use, the SIM must be provisioned for tethering. ATTWS iPhones can't be provisioned for tethering at this writing."

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by butthead440
    no need to jailbreak to tether ... just change the carrier profile on your iphone simple google search willl help u... google stealth 6.0 carrier ipcc ... i have been tethering for a long time i even did mms b4 it came out using this ipcc take a couple minutes and your done no jailbreak required just a simple update to the carrier profile
    That only works with iPhone OS 3.0.x. This loophole has been plugged starting with iPhone OS 3.1. You can no longer load unsigned carrier profiles into your iPhone, unless you never updated past 3.0.1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast