Thread: I've heard from a few people that Sprint buys out contracts...

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I've heard from a few people that Sprint buys out contracts...

Is this true?

Phone
    HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Photon 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlack
    Is this true?
    Nope.

(gotta make the message longer, I guess)

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cruddy.

I want to possibly venture over to Sprint, since they're unrolling 4G in Philadelphia, but I'm locked into AT&T for another year and they're raising their ETF to $350, as I'm sure you've all heard.

The reason I haven't left yet, is because I'm awaiting Apple's keynote at WWDC to see if they can steal me back from switching sides to Android.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlack
    Cruddy.

I want to possibly venture over to Sprint, since they're unrolling 4G in Philadelphia, but I'm locked into AT&T for another year and they're raising their ETF to $350, as I'm sure you've all heard.

The reason I haven't left yet, is because I'm awaiting Apple's keynote at WWDC to see if they can steal me back from switching sides to Android.

The change in AT&T's ETF to $325 should not affect your current contract... you are still bound by the ETF on your signed contract. The $325 ETF only affects you if you upgrade, add a line, or modify your existing contract in such a way where it extends your contract or creates a new contract. If you don't modify your current contract, then you will still be able to cancel with your current prorated ETF.

As far as Sprint "buying out" contracts, I've never heard of this either...
    - Chokaay

Feedback Score
    You are going to have a hard time finding any carrier willing to subsidize a phone for you and buy out your existing contract.

Phones
    Blackberry Tour (Sprint)
    Blackberry Tour (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    I switched to sprint 2 months ago from at&t. They offered me a $100 port-in credit when I told them I was hesitant about switching due to the ETF I would incur by leaving AT&T. Sprint made it sound like a limited time special promotion, so I'm not sure if it is active. This was through telesales.

Phone
    HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Photon 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKidd
    I switched to sprint 2 months ago from at&t. They offered me a $100 port-in credit when I told them I was hesitant about switching due to the ETF I would incur by leaving AT&T. Sprint made it sound like a limited time special promotion, so I'm not sure if it is active. This was through telesales.
    There are definitely port-in credits occasionally available (I think this promotion is still going on, not 100% sure) but they aren't specifically for ending an existing contract. Anybody porting in was/is eligible for this credit.

The second one carrier openly offers to buy-out contracts from any other carrier, it's pretty much over IMO. Sprint offers to buy-out ATT contracts, then ATT does the same to Sprint. Not wanting to miss out on business, VZW jumps on both of them, so now all 3 are buying out each others' contracts and they no longer mean squat.

Depending on your particular bent regarding the cell phone business, this may or may not be a good thing.

Phone
    The MAXXXXXXX
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Carrier Piegoen
    Feedback Score
    Yes they do. Figure out exactly what you want, put it in your cart on sprint.com and do an eChat.

Let them know you are ready to sign-up right now but you just can't afford to with the ETF from ATT and the new phones you need to use Sprint. Ask if there are any incentives/offers that might help.

You will get between $50 and $100 per new line which cover most of your ETF with ATT.

Please make sure you are ready to buy as the eChat agent will only apply the credit as your check out at that time. You can't 'save' it and use it later.