Thread: 50MB data... How much is that in actual data usage?

Feedback Score

50MB data... How much is that in actual data usage?

I was looking into the tnt 1200 with 50MB data as a new plan option as my sprint contract is coming up to term soon and I wanted to go to an android smartphone next. I anticipate doing mostly email, text, and light web (web browsing, youtube, etc...). I dont anticipate downloading videos movies or music much off the network.

So in reality, how much data usage am I looking at with an android phone per month? I know it will vary greatly but considering I never had a smartphone before I have no clue how much data an email uses or a web page loading uses at all.

Those of you with smartphones... whats your average monthly data usage and how much extra do you end up paying per month?

Also, I couldnt find an answer in the FAQ or the PP website on what speeds the PP network goes? Is it 3G speed?

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    First, do a search this has been asked many times
    read those threads

Quote Originally Posted by jefflam79
    I anticipate doing mostly email, text, and light web (web browsing, youtube, etc...). I dont anticipate downloading videos movies

So in reality, how much data usage am I looking at with an android phone per month?
    Let's say a text email is about 15kb on average. So how many emails do you get and send per day?

Mobile CNN maybe 40kb per page. So if you stick to mobile friendly sites how many pages a day do you intend to visit? Normal webpages are far larger in data drawdown so you factor that in. And Youtube is about one meg per two minutes of video.

Text messages don't count as data unless you mean to send them via a webportal or google voice.

So do the math

Those of you with smartphones... whats your average monthly data usage
    HoFo members are hardly considered average mobile useage data points.
    The national average for data use among postpaid smartphone users is about 250mb per month. iPhone and Droid owners are probably much higher than blackberry owners.

Feedback Score
    I go through approx 30 - 35 MB per month. I use Opera Mini 5 (with picture size set to small etc) and use it every day to check Facebook and make a couple of status updates etc. Also have my emails delivered to my phone hourly.

Phones
    LG Rumor2 PagePlus
    Samsung Exclaim Sprint
    Feedback Score
    LOL

50mb is 50mb!

On my Ozone, I was able to sync email every 30min and only use about 26mb or so a month.

On my Moment (Android OS) I don't have it set to automatically sync, and I have used about the same with checking email a couple of times a day.
    (on WiFi I have used over 300mb!)

So there are no hard fast rules...

If you plan on Youtube, you better:

a) use wifi

or

b) use a different carrier.

Phones
    Galaxy s3
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aargh
    LOL

50mb is 50mb!

On my Ozone, I was able to sync email every 30min and only use about 26mb or so a month.

On my Moment (Android OS) I don't have it set to automatically sync, and I have used about the same with checking email a couple of times a day.
    (on WiFi I have used over 300mb!)

So there are no hard fast rules...

If you plan on Youtube, you better:

a) use wifi

or

b) use a different carrier.
    You hit the nail square on the head.

What I tell customers:
    text uses minimal amounts of data. If you stay away from video / music sites, and use only the mobile friendly sites, you will likely NOT use all of your data, unless you STAY on the web for a long time.

Feedback Score

Phone
    Droid X
    Feedback Score
    I tested listening to music on the web via WMP on my Q9c and in 30 minutes I used just about 30 mb, so 1 mb per minute.