Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How important a factor is byod (bring your own device/phone) to you on a carrier?

Feedback Score

How important a factor is byod (bring your own device/phone) to you on a carrier?

Some carriers have bring your own device/phone . Most gsm carriers (Simple, H20 Gsm, Jolt, Red Pocket, Tmobile, Att/Cingular, Air Voice Gsm and others), iden carriers (Nextel/Boost iden), Verizon mvnos/prepaid (Verizon prepaid, Lucky/Myway, Blackdog, Air Voice Express Cdma, H20 Cdma, Mingo) and independent regional cdma unlimited carriers (Pocket, Frawg/Ntelos, Cricket, Metro, etc) allow Bring Your Own Device to varying degrees.

Most Sprint Cdma prepaid divisions and mvnos (Virgin Mobile, Liberty Wireless, Total Call, Ready, STI, Common Cents) and Tracfone /America Movil Divisions (Straight Talk, Tracfone, Net10) do not. Boost cdma is the one Sprint prepaid division that allows some byod via Sprint phones to Boost cdma accounts esn swaps and Platinum Tel is the one known Sprint mvno that allows other Sprint mvno phones (but no Sprint prepaid division/Boost,VM, CCM or Sprint postpaid) phones on their system.

How important is Bring your own device to you and which device and network did you combine to make your own prepaid wireless setup?

I have a Verizon Kyocera on Page Plus, a flashed Sprint HTC on a local regional unlimited, an unlocked gsm Att device with a Tmobile sim and others...

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not currently involved with the quest to optimize my device & service, but my opinion is that the carriers should be totally open to compatible devices. IOW, if the device has the correct operating standards and frequency bands, there shouldn't be any hindrance to using it on whatever carrier you choose. Just like when wireline was deregulated, you could buy your equipment wherever you wanted and hook it up and go. There's no reason that shouldn't be the case with mobile phones, even CDMA, as we know it's doable. It's simply a case of the carriers restricting your access so you're forced to get their equipment on their terms. And so we're stuck making compromises when we choose a carrier because of coverage, for instance, and can't get a phone we want, or for those who just have to have a particular smartphone and find out the carrier sucks (i.e. AT&T/iPhone). Sooner or later this kind of thing has to be overcome.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

This is critical for me because NONE of prepaid phone fits my requirement.

Optimum/Cablevision

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    It depends on your requirement. I wanted a "keyboard phone" and not a smartphone that uses
    window (avoid viruses), and not expensive. After researching, I brought an used Palm Treo
    700p and hook up with PPC. Unfortunately with PPC smartpohone ban, I ended up moving to
    MW.

So byod was helpful for me, but my 2 earlier phones, I brought straight from the providers.

Sheng-Chieh

Carriers
    Cricket GSM (this month)
    Feedback Score
    It's real simple. MVNOs don't allow BYOD because they can make money selling phones. Also, it does take some time for a CSR to activate a phone, which the company is paying for. As a consumer you have choices. If you don't like it the phone selection, choose a carrier that allows you to BYOD and if you can't find a phone that suits you, get a postpaid.

I personally have three good VZW dumbphones that were cast-offs from VZW customers who upgraded. They work perfectly well for voice and text, which is all I use. I'd be crazy to buy a phone, which is the primary reason I went with PP.

Since I'm a light user and buy low denomination PINs I'm probably going to spend 10˘/min with any carrier. So I chose PP exclusively for the BYOD. If my spare phones were with another carrier, I would look for an MVNO that allows them.

Feedback Score
    I really think it depends on what the carrier is offering. If they have what I need, I would use their handsets. But price is also important. If they have what I need, but for a lot of $$$, then I'd rather bring my own.
    How is it that we give up houses, businesses and bank accounts when we want a divorce but can't part with a couple of hundred bucks to find cellphone bliss?

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    Pantech PN-820
    Carrier
    1. Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    BYOD is the most important for me. I'm very picky with my phones and don't feel like changing them often because it's quite hard to find a phone that meets all my requirements.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    For me, I find BYOD to be important for me. My phones for the most part have been GSM phones which I unlock and then will use with a compatible carrier. I also use my unlocked GSM phone when I travel to the US... I just put in my local US SIM and start making calls with a smartphone that I'm used to using with all the features that I want (WiFi, GPS, applications, etc.).
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    You are completely wrong.

First, most MVNOs do allow BYOD. Redpocket, Simple Mobile, H20 Wireless, and even PagePlus (Verizon MVNO) allow BYOD. The only MVNOs that don't allow BYOD are Sprint-based ones that are contractually prohibited from doing so, and Tracfone (which is a special case, and will be allowing BYOD in the next week).

Second, no carrier makes money selling phones. Those that sell phones generally sell them at a loss to entice customers. They make up for the loss on the phone by charging more for service.

So, yes it is "simple." But, you apparently don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    It's real simple. MVNOs don't allow BYOD because they can make money selling phones. Also, it does take some time for a CSR to activate a phone, which the company is paying for. As a consumer you have choices. If you don't like it the phone selection, choose a carrier that allows you to BYOD and if you can't find a phone that suits you, get a postpaid.

I personally have three good VZW dumbphones that were cast-offs from VZW customers who upgraded. They work perfectly well for voice and text, which is all I use. I'd be crazy to buy a phone, which is the primary reason I went with PP.

Since I'm a light user and buy low denomination PINs I'm probably going to spend 10˘/min with any carrier. So I chose PP exclusively for the BYOD. If my spare phones were with another carrier, I would look for an MVNO that allows them.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    To respond to the more specific question:

BYOD's importance to me depends upon a whole host of factors:

What devices are available directly from the carrier and at what cost? If the carrier I chose gave me a free iPhone or Android smartphone with unlimited talk, text, and data for $10 per month with no contract, then BYOD would be almost irrelevant.

On the other hand, if BYOD can save me money, both in terms of handset cost and monthly payment, it is important.

As it is, BYOD works for many of us because most U.S. handsets are overpriced unless you sign a contract, and most monthly service deals are overpriced to make-up for the handset discounts.

However, there are lots gray market importers who will pick-up phones in Latin America (where BYOD is common and a bad economy keeps prices low) and sell them here for cheap. That changes the equation. A big carrier can't or won't engage in gray market imports, but if you BYOD, you can take advantage of the lower handset prices.

As it is today, there are a few carriers that offer a good selection of handsets at reasonable prices and with a reasonable monthly costs, i.e. Ting and Prepayd. However, I have better coverage with AT&T than with Sprint/Verizon and I prefer the better battery life and conference calling associated with GSM phones. Straight Talk has the best coverage of any GSM MVNO, but crappy phones with that coverage, and so BYOD looks like a great option for them - at least until they offer the Optimus 2X...

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wow, quite the resurrection for this old horse...

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    ST's BYOD postings caused this to show up in my "related posts" area.

Feedback Score
    Mine too! I was like...wait we have *that* now.

Feedback Score
    ST definitely has turned the byod world upside down for the time being with their sim only offers. Net10 too.

Phones
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Nexus
    Tmobile Galaxy S2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk TMobile 4G
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    For me the Boyd is must and that is the reason I use GSM simple mobile. I change phones every week. Always try different phones. Hobby

☞★Sent from Galaxy S2 !!!★ ♂ツ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast