Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: LG 420G Review and My TracFone Experience

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    My glitch was the phone would turn itself off.... it did it twice in the 2-3 days I had it activated, a situation I found unacceptable.
    Yeah, that's more like a serious defect than a minor glitch.. At least you were able to switch back to your old TracFone.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Toyota | let's go places

Primary: iPhone 5S and LG G2: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, myFaves, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $88/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE | Galaxy Tab 3 w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Yep, glitch or no, anyone who has read my lengthy posts here on hofo and other places knows I've had fun with the 420.

The story of my only LG420G glitch
    The only 'glitch I have' is an icon representing MMS not available that does not go away on the top status bar.

As shown, it's an envelope with a piece of film strip (for MMS) and a red X over it But I am not abandoning my phone over that. Now if it keeps shutting down like some have had issues with, I understand that.

How I got the stuck icon was, I tried to send a multimedia message (MMS) using my LG420G (text and picture). As soon as I went to send it I got an error about the service not available, and the icon has stuck ever since.

I tired for 24 hours to send the MMS and got the same message.

I looked around on the Internet and found other people had the same problem with other type phones, with other companies, both present and years ago. So it's nothing new.

Checking parameter 121 my LG420G phone is using http://mmsc.cingular.com

My LG600G used http://mms.tracfone.com and it was able to MMS at the time.

So either phone was broke, something to do with cingular service, or I was not 'on the list' so to speak. How many times has the latter happened with TF things in general, so I've read. So let's see how things turned out in my case...

Next day I tried to send another MMS. Still did not work. So right after last attempt, I ended up calling TF CS and we did the check some codes, pull battery, and it still did not work. And then we came to a point where he had to put me on hold to talk to his superior. While on hold (on good old landline!), I decided to try once more to send MMS. And It did send the MMS and it went to the phone 10' from me. I then could rule out the 420 was not broke. So did Cingular MMS suddenly start working just then, or did TF put me 'on the list' while I was on hold?

While I had TF CS on the line I sent a number of MMS's between the two phones and it worked every time, and has ever since. I thanked CS for staying on the line and trying to help.

The no MMS service available is still present even though MMS works. Now when I have received an MMS but not tended to it yet, the red X goes away and I just have a envelope with film strip (MMS). After I have dealt with the message, the icon does not disappear and the red X over it is back. No biggie at all to me. I'm happy with the phone.

The only thing I have not tried to cure it is a hard reset. It's not worth losing my settings.

K-L-M

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    The no MMS service available is still present even though MMS works. Now when I have received an MMS but not tended to it yet, the red X goes away and I just have a envelope with film strip (MMS). After I have dealt with the message, the icon does not disappear and the red X over it is back. No biggie at all to me. I'm happy with the phone.

The only thing I have not tried to cure it is a hard reset. It's not worth losing my settings.

K-L-M
    Have you cleared your outbox of messages? I think I've had that icon when I had a failed MMS sitting in my outbox.. I think.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    @ IsLand_BoY - You think correctly!

The icon for MMS with the red X over it disappeared once I emptied out the 'out box', thus the 'stuck icon' is not a glitch on the LG420G. For those reading along, this seemed to be caused by the MMS service not available for a spell while trying to send an MMS.

Thank you for the input IsLand_BoY!

K-L-M

Phones
    LG 420g
    LG 420g
    Nokia 1100 (3.5 years)
    Carrier
    AT&T via TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    ...My favorite by far is Boost though @ $10 every 90 days and that includes unlimited web browsing/data on the handset itself...
    How do you get THAT deal? I just went to <http://plans.boostmobile.com> and see nothing like it there...were you grandfathered?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @ IsLand_BoY - You think correctly!

The icon for MMS with the red X over it disappeared once I emptied out the 'out box', thus the 'stuck icon' is not a glitch on the LG420G. For those reading along, this seemed to be caused by the MMS service not available for a spell while trying to send an MMS.

Thank you for the input IsLand_BoY!

K-L-M
    Good! Glad you got it squared away.

By the way, you said your LG 420 is on T-Mobile right? Any particular reason why you don't want to just go directly to T-Mobile for service? I have TracFones on AT&T and Verizon only because it's cheaper on TracFone, or at least it was, now AT&T is a great deal @ $0.10/min directly from them. T-Mobile has lots of deals on prepaid phones so you can swap SIMs daily if you wanted to, and the rates are pretty decent..

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Boston View Post
    How do you get THAT deal? I just went to <http://plans.boostmobile.com> and see nothing like it there...were you grandfathered?
    They have a $10 increment for refilling when you refill online, and it's good for 90 days. Web was always open on iDEN regardless of whether or not you paid the $0.35/day for it, and I even used to tether with it. They may have closed that (at least on the built-in browser), I'll check when I get home. I also have a CDMA boost account and that too has open web. No tethering, but I can go to any website.

I don't know how long it'll last but it's been like this since CDMA launched nationwide. Even ~$10/mo with their $0.35/day option is a great deal.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY
    By the way, you said your LG 420 is on T-Mobile right? Any particular reason why you don't want to just go directly to T-Mobile for service?
    Good evening. Yes my Tracfones use a T-Mobile SIM for each. Good question. I to stick with Tracfone because I use my cellphone very little. I need the service time far more than the air time.

So I feel if I went with another carrier, such as T-Mobile, prepaid would be the cheapest from them. I see they have a pay go plan for $10 it gets you 90 days and 30 minutes (no double minutes for life or promo codes). In 90 days I may use an hours worth of time...so That would be $20 of refills....So, I'm better off with TF for my particular needs.

Different pricing for sending and receiving texts, and MMS.

If I want to use the web that day, It's another $1.49 per day.

..With all the different pricing..it gets messy.
    And the pay as you go phones do not look that thrilling.

But yes, I could buy a phone for everyday of the week and one for Sunday best, and just keep swapping SIMs!

Like you, I get a kick out of the cheapness of the phones, the challenge to figure them out, and overall hard to resist as you put it TF phones are getting better over time as well, like the LG420G.

Thnaks for the suggestion though. I do keep an eye out for the competition.

K-L-M

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good evening. Yes my Tracfones use a T-Mobile SIM for each. Good question. I to stick with Tracfone because I use my cellphone very little. I need the service time far more than the air time.

So I feel if I went with another carrier, such as T-Mobile, prepaid would be the cheapest from them. I see they have a pay go plan for $10 it gets you 90 days and 30 minutes (no double minutes for life or promo codes). In 90 days I may use an hours worth of time...so That would be $20 of refills....So, I'm better off with TF for my particular needs.

Different pricing for sending and receiving texts, and MMS.

If I want to use the web that day, It's another $1.49 per day.

..With all the different pricing..it gets messy.
    And the pay as you go phones do not look that thrilling.

But yes, I could buy a phone for everyday of the week and one for Sunday best, and just keep swapping SIMs!

Like you, I get a kick out of the cheapness of the phones, the challenge to figure them out, and overall hard to resist as you put it TF phones are getting better over time as well, like the LG420G.

Thnaks for the suggestion though. I do keep an eye out for the competition.

K-L-M
    Ah, I was thinking more like refilling $100 to start (1000 minutes and 365 days) then adding $50 (460 minutes) as you need it and it would be good for another 365 days due to Gold Rewards. That's what I do for two retired coworkers. But -- I can see where TracFone is cheaper upfront and almost as cheap. My last order for a refurb'd Moto W376 w/ 60min card was ~$15 shipped (after FatWallet cash back) with tax = 12.5 cents/min down to 10.0 cents/min. I never thought about the occasional web use on TracFone always being available vs. paying per day on T-Mo. I start cringing when I see the 0.5 units deducted message on my TracFones as I'm simply reading a news page; I wish they could charge by data volume rather than time.

I guess for us HoFo'ers TracFone works out nicely because we know how to deal with TracFone. I think we all just have an unhealthy addiction.. Haha!

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

LG 420G at Walgreens for $12.99 this week

LG 420G at Walgreens for $12.99 this week. Not sure if this has DMFL but i haven't seen a LG 420G without DMFL these days
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    over and out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atrac286 View Post
    LG 420G at Walgreens for $12.99 this week. Not sure if this has DMFL but i haven't seen a LG 420G without DMFL these days
    Some definitely do - I picked up 2 that had stickers on the packaging indicating that that DMFL was included. I saw others without the sticker and wasn't sure, so I didn't pick up extras...

Feedback Score
    yes, dmfl is within the code on the bottom of the walgreen's 420g. i was shocked to see it so low. especially since i thought it was a good deal at 18+ dollars. i thought perhaps there was an overstock of phones, because they expected a big buyout, now they have to sell? i don't know.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, get ready, because according to Sweeper, Meijer stores (southern Mich, NW Indiana, NE Illinois) is planning to offer this model for $7 on "Black Friday". I may even have to get one at that price.

Feedback Score

Question about Contacts

I'm considering this phone. I need a phone that will let me assign ring tones to contacts so I can determine whether to answer a call or let it go to voice mail. Can anyone tell me if the LG 420 has this feature. The phone I have now allows it but the battery life is dreadful so I need to find a better alternative.

Thanks.

L

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the LG420G lets you assign ring tones and a picture I believe.

Battery life on my LG420 is 10 days on standby, after a couple of initial charges.

If you just charged it up and then proceed to play with the phone continuously (CPU active, etc), you'll get 5 hours.

So, there are some reference points. I never track how long it lasts on calls, as there are just to many variables.

Have fun!

K-L-M

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast