Thread: Tracfone/Net10 in Alaska?

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Tracfone/Net10 in Alaska?

Hi,

I am a Page Plus user that will be taking a trip to Alaska soon. I have been informed on the PP boards that my Page Plus phone will not work in Alaska. Someone mentioned that Tracfone does work in Alaska. I checked the coverage map, and I do see some Alaska coverage on it, but the map is so small, I’m not sure how much.

So, can I go buy a tracphone or Net10 phone from a store and I’ll be able to use it in Alaska with the same normal rates? Does anyone have any advice as to a B&M to try that I can get a cheap tracfone with minutes at? My travels will be primarily Anchorage, Homer, Seward, and points in between. Will tracfone have coverage in most of those areas? Does anyone have any suggestions for other providers? Thanks for any help.

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I went to the Tracfone website and put in an Anchorage zip code, and it gave me a list of phones that it seems are supposed to work in Alaska. I'm wondering if I buy the same model here, will it work in AK?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jake14mw View Post
    I went to the Tracfone website and put in an Anchorage zip code, and it gave me a list of phones that it seems are supposed to work in Alaska. I'm wondering if I buy the same model here, will it work in AK?
    Yes. Anchorage is an ATT only area so be sure the phone you get has an ATT sim card in it. Tracfone's other GSM carrier is T-Mobile which won't work in Anchorage so avoid any phone with a T-mo sim. Did you check the zips for the other cities on your trip?

ATT-based phones have C4 in the model number. T-mo - based phones have P5. That is the one to avoid. The green clamshell packaging for a Tracfone displays the model number on the BOTTOM spine of the clamshell. You do not have to open the package to know what sim card (carrier) is in the phone.

If you are buying a used phone, look at the sim card already installed. An ATT sim begins with 890141. T-mo begins with 890126.

Give it a try and post back here if you have more questions.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Anne P in Orlando

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    OK, great, so all I have to do is make sure that I get one that has C4 in the model number? That's easy enough. Can the phone be activated instantly?

Also, is Net10 the same way? It seems like minutes for them are much cheaper.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Net10 is the same way. As far as I know, Trac and Net10 will work in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau. I don't know about Wasilla, I know it will not work at Dutch Harbor (the cell carrier there does not have roaming agreements with anyone, you can activate a CDMA phone there at 25cpm), the oil drilling areas, the haul road up to the oil drilling areas or Nome.

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help. I'll go to the store tomorrow looking for a Tracfone or preferably Net10 phone with a C4 in the model number. I'm also thinking of going on-line and ordering this and having it shipped to where I will be staying. 600 minutes for $22 is a good deal. Any reason that phone would not work?

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I forgot to put the link in above, 600 minutes, $22, I assume there's no reason this one would not work in AK? http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/998236/

Feedback Score
    FYI: See this blog post about TracFone using multiple networks and the "best" one for "your" area, here.

Feedback Score
    And NET10, here

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr TracFone View Post
    FYI: See this blog post about TracFone using multiple networks and the "best" one for "your" area, here.
    Just more propaganda!

Feedback Score
    If you want to see what coverage would be with an AT&T SIM, look at AT&T's coverage map here

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I forgot to put the link in above, 600 minutes, $22, I assume there's no reason this one would not work in AK? http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/998236/
    Make sure you order online from the GSM4 market or you will get a T-Mobile SIM. This site will help you http://thejmart.com/links.htm

Phone
    Droid Eris
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Just a quick update, both the LG300 that I bought in a Wal-Mart locally and the LG600 that I got in the web deal listed above worked perfectly for my trip in all of the cities I visited, Anchorage, Homer, and Seward. Thanks very much for everyone's help. I loved the ease of the activation process. I'm still struggling now with a new phone activation on Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    Just a quick update, both the LG300 that I bought in a Wal-Mart locally and the LG600 that I got in the web deal listed above worked perfectly for my trip in all of the cities I visited, Anchorage, Homer, and Seward. Thanks very much for everyone's help. I loved the ease of the activation process. I'm still struggling now with a new phone activation on Page Plus.
    Glad everything worked out well for you. Did you enjoy your trip?