Thread: best pageplus flip phone for txting?

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Question best pageplus flip phone for txting?

hi, I just got PagePlus, and I had an old cheapy lg vx-4500 lying around so I activated it, and got powertext for 10.95. So I didn't like the phone at all, it's really old. and especially since I only have txting on it I wanted a better phone. So I looked on ebay and found a lg vx-5400 for $8, and it's better... but I would like something better for texting.. So what's the best flip [or slide] phone that works on pageplus that specializes or is good at texting? I don't really want a QWERTY phone, and I'm not looking to spend too much money either.

Thanks a lot!

~Matt
    Last edited by mvmacd; 06-06-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    The best flip for texting imo is the Alias or Alias 2 because it DOES have a qwerty keyboard. It has a dual hinge so you can open it like a flip phone for talking, or turn it sideways and open it for texting.

Carriers
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an Alltel branded Motorola V9m that uses Motorola's most advanced iTap version with phrase prediction. It cannot be used on an actual Verizon plan, but it may work for PagePlus. Perhaps we could work something out.
    A phone is only fun when you can modify it anyway you please.

The Verizon UI....unhackable? I think not

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvmacd View Post
    hi, I just got PagePlus, and I had an old cheapy lg vx-4500 lying around so I activated it, and got powertext for 10.95. So I didn't like the phone at all, it's really old. and especially since I only have txting on it I wanted a better phone. So I looked on ebay and found a lg vx-5400 for $8, and it's better... but I would like something better for texting.. So what's the best flip [or slide] phone that works on pageplus that specializes or is good at texting? I don't really want a QWERTY phone, and I'm not looking to spend too much money either.

Thanks a lot!

~Matt
    I think you're just sick of the phone. I get sick of some of um too and gotta get something different.
    My 15 year old grandson uses an old LG 4400 (about the same as the 4500). He can text on that thing just about as fast as I can talk using both thumbs.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i know you said that you don't want a QWERTY phone, but the best phone i can recommend is on of the enV series phones. all of them come with a standard kepyad, and flip open into a qwerty keyboard. i find the original env to be the best for texting, IMO.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

thanks for the replies! I ended up getting a Samsung Alias, w/ a "broken earpiece" [cause I mainly want it for texting. hopefully it has speakerphone that works though, so I can use it for emergency or occasional talking] for $6.50 on ebay! yay I hope it's good

Feedback Score
    Nice!! Yes it has speakerphone, and you may also be able to use a handsfree with it.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    great! I can't wait till it comes. so anyway I found this post that says you can get free WAP, and I was wondering if it works on pageplus? also it says "this uses airtime," does that mean it charges a voice call rate per minute?
    also -- on my current lg vx-5400, the mobile IM uses txts up I wish it would use wap/data, it would be cheaper, even at $1.60/mb...[txts are max 160bytes!] does the mobile IM on the Alias use txting or data?
    thanks!

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    That post about free WAP was probably for old Verizon prepaid plans called America's Choice II that billed megabytes usage by the minute - you wouldn't be charged for data, but for the minutes you used on the phone. I used it while I had my RAZR for two years and it was awesome, but that loophole doesn't exist on the latest Verizon Nationwide plans and as far as I know never existed on PagePlus which definitely charges for data. The Mobile IM on the Alias is almost certainly Verizon branded and will be the same as your 5400, meaning it will use texts, that is, if it works on PP. If you're on 1200 TnT or especially UTnT you should be OK for texts anyway.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    well, I'm on the Power Text 2000. anyway, is it possible to install apps for free [by dragging something to the /brew/ folder?], using BitPim or something? if so, is there a [free?] app that uses wap data for IM [with at least AIM and or gtalk] that I could install in that manner? that would be really sweet!
    Last edited by mvmacd; 06-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.