Thread: My phone was destroyed, friend gave me old phone, can I activate it?

Feedback Score

My phone was destroyed, friend gave me old phone, can I activate it?

I am not eligible for an upgrade and had no insurance. My friend gave me an old Motorola v3a, that I am sure was on Alltel originally. My plan was also a converted Alltel plan. Will I be able to activate this phone online on my Verizon account?

Any help is appreciated. Thank.

Phones
    HTC Rezound
    Droid2 (spouse)
    OG Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    Just try it. Make sure the old phone is off and the new phone is not assigned to someone's number. Go to your account at My Verizon. Click on the link "Activate phone". Be sure to copy the ESN or MEID so you can enter it in the box where required. (Sometimes it is hard to read and you may need a magnifying glass to decipher a B from an 8). Hit the continue button and see what happens. If it works,, you will be told to dial *288 option 1. If it doesn't work, they will let you know. They may refer you to customer service.
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Phones
    Motorola Droid X
    Apple iPhone 5 (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon by Alltel purchase
    Feedback Score
    +1; If the ESN/MEID are hard to read, they are available on the V3a by key entry; I forget how, but you can get them displayed.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. It turns out the v3a I was given didn't work anyway. I went to a Verizon store to get a battery. When we tried the phone it powered on but had no display. They sold me a loner phone for $40 which will be fine until I am eligible for an upgrade. Way better than paying $200 for even a cheap phone.

Funny that the other Verizon store I went to didn't mention anything about loaner phones. Maybe they didn't have any. I guess it helps to get the right person.