Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iggle View Post
    maybe the 2nd roll out for canada is partiallyr elated to having to produce 4 different phones, rather then 1 like every other country? I know it isnt a big deal, but maybe it somewhat i in the way of rather then having to provide 1m units, for example (i know, way overlkill lol) they have to do 400 of 1, 200 of another, 200 and 200..

any thoughts as to this?

BS. UK is on the first round and they have 3 carriers with the iPhone (O2, Voda, Orange).
    trekkie604 [ Phone Photos ]

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hasnaink View Post
    delaying a release to a market the size smaller than california is not loss of mass revenue. its delay of just a month only. And he has taken revenge on people who have leaked his info. Just when the iPAD was going to be released, I remember a publisher let it out of the bag a day or two before, and then they were nowhere to be mentioned on the keynote. Its not proof of anything, but an opinion only but there has been more than 1 precedence.
    His moves send a message that secrecy is extremely important to Apple and if you want to be part of his world, then you have to play by his rules.
    Dats why Steve Jobs reminds me so much like David Karesh.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hay Fido/Rogers Customers

The reason why the iphone 4 is not launching in Canada on June 24th is due to Quebec Bill 60 that becomes law on June 30th. Because of Bill 60, every carrier operating in Quebec will have to create new Terms and Conditions for their Quebec subscribers. This Bill will set rules on how carriers must deal with their Quebec customers.

Some of the new rules that Quebec customers will see
    1)Starting June 30th, In a Quebec advertisement, carriers must display the full cost of the plan including SAF/911.GRRF fees in the price of their advertisement. Example $40 cityfido plan will be displayed as $40.40 plan.
    2)Starting June 30th, Any Quebec customer who activates service with agreement or renewals their agreement must be provided a written copy that contains the cost for every service a carrier can charge this customer. The cost of these services can't change for the duration of the contract.
    3)Starting June 30th, no more 30 days notice. Quebec customers who wants to cancel their service will have their service cancelled immediately once the call ends with the CSR or if the customer ports out.
    4)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers will not pay any administrative fees for non payment or rejected payment.
    5)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers who want to cancel their service before the end of the term will be charged.... the hardware subsidy received x the number of month remaining divided by how many month is the agreement length. Example: say a Quebec customer got 16GB iphone 3GS for $199 on 3Y term on June 19, 2009. The retail price of 16GB iphone 3GS is $699. So this customer received $500 hardware subsidy from their carrier. Now this customer wants to cancel their line. This customer has 24 month remaining on their contract. (500 x 24 month) divided by 36 month = The ECF in this example will be $336.67 +tax.

These 5 rules are some of the new rules that will come into play on June 30th for Quebec customers.

To have a smooth Canadian iphone 4 launch, Apple and Rogers/Telus/Bell agreed to delay the the launch of the new iphone 4 because they didn't want to create rules for 6 days that they would have to change on June 30th. So all parties agreed that it was in their best interest for all carriers to be ready for the new Quebec law without having a major iphone launch to deal with. Every CSR who handles Quebec customers, Store Rep in Quebec must be retrained on the new rules. I don't think any carrier wants a CSR in a training class when thousand of customers are on hold waiting to speak with a CSR to see if they can qualify to get iphone 4.

If it wasn't for this new Quebec Law, the Canadian iphone 4 launch would have been on June 24 like the Americans. I can guarantee you this.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus, Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    TL;DR, but no. Ask anyone at Apple who possibly has any info. Some Quebec law has nothing to do with it. Apple could care less.

U.S., U.K., France, Germany and Japan move the most iPhones. Period. We know this because the first four of those countries actually had the first iPhone and people in Japan go apes**t over Apple products apparently.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
    TL;DR, but no. Ask anyone at Apple who possibly has any info. Some Quebec law has nothing to do with it. Apple could care less.

U.S., U.K., France, Germany and Japan move the most iPhones. Period. We know this because the first four of those countries actually had the first iPhone and people in Japan go apes**t over Apple products apparently.
    Do you know what happened to iphone 3G when it was launched in Japan? No body bought it. Softbank, the carrier in Japan who had the rights to it decided to give away for free. Yes, free....... don't believe me, read for yourself
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...omment-page-1/

Ask yourself why Apple launched iphone 3G and 3GS in Canada at the same time as the USA. If Canada is small as you say compared to some European countries, why did they launch 2008? If still small, why repeat its mistake and launch in 2009?

Do you have any idea how many class time each call center CSR/Quebec Store reps has schedule for training in next few weeks before this new law takes effect?

Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB
    Carrier
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I seriously doubt Apple cares about some Quebec law. Even if they did, I wouldn't have a problem with them launching in Canada, just exclude Quebec at launch until after their new rules take effect.

Phone
    LG G3
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroden View Post
    Fido will have it as well right?
    Yes they will

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I fly out on July 29th.
    Hopefully they will release it a week before that so that I can take it with me.
    Or else the iPhone 3GS will have to tag along with me.

Phone
    i-phone
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm off to LA for a10 days on July 23rd...oh dear God, please let this phone be released prior to that
    When I look in the mirror in the morning, I gotta answer to me....

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek. View Post
    I seriously doubt Apple cares about some Quebec law. Even if they did, I wouldn't have a problem with them launching in Canada, just exclude Quebec at launch until after their new rules take effect.
    Last I checked, Quebec was still a part of Canada. They will launch with the rest of us.

Phone
    Xperia X10
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Cannot wait to HUP and sell this piece of crap. Buy me an Android phone with the profits!! July hahahha...Canada is some third world country when it comes to cell phones
    Haha, and you figured out that now?
    Even in eastern Euroupe or Africa is better

Phone
    SE X10
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    so it's because of quebec law and the evil carriers.

any idea where they sell tinfoil hats at discounted rates? I could use a few...
    xbox live gamertag: Mighty Boink

Add me and come get pwned

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Last I checked, Quebec was still a part of Canada. They will launch with the rest of us.
    That still doesn't mean that they have to launch with the rest of Canada. It's quite routine to have different product launches in different parts of the country at different times. They could easily have held off the Quebec launch for a few days. Sure, the Big 3 may have made an agreement to hold off on the iPhone launch. But in this case, I doubt it was the main factor.

If you look at the countries on the June list. They are top tier consumer markets. Just look at the population numbers. Those 4 countries have more residents than all the countries launching in July combined. They will get Apple the most sales first. And when you have limited stock, you want it to go to your largest markets first. That's all Apple is doing. It's sending its precious stock to markets where they know they will be sold quick.

That's just business. You can bet that if we had 30 million more residents, we'd be on Apple's June list too.

Phone
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent View Post
    Hay Fido/Rogers Customers

The reason why the iphone 4 is not launching in Canada on June 24th is due to Quebec Bill 60 that becomes law on June 30th. Because of Bill 60, every carrier operating in Quebec will have to create new Terms and Conditions for their Quebec subscribers. This Bill will set rules on how carriers must deal with their Quebec customers.

Some of the new rules that Quebec customers will see
    1)Starting June 30th, In a Quebec advertisement, carriers must display the full cost of the plan including SAF/911.GRRF fees in the price of their advertisement. Example $40 cityfido plan will be displayed as $40.40 plan.
    2)Starting June 30th, Any Quebec customer who activates service with agreement or renewals their agreement must be provided a written copy that contains the cost for every service a carrier can charge this customer. The cost of these services can't change for the duration of the contract.
    3)Starting June 30th, no more 30 days notice. Quebec customers who wants to cancel their service will have their service cancelled immediately once the call ends with the CSR or if the customer ports out.
    4)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers will not pay any administrative fees for non payment or rejected payment.
    5)Starting June 30th, Quebec customers who want to cancel their service before the end of the term will be charged.... the hardware subsidy received x the number of month remaining divided by how many month is the agreement length. Example: say a Quebec customer got 16GB iphone 3GS for $199 on 3Y term on June 19, 2009. The retail price of 16GB iphone 3GS is $699. So this customer received $500 hardware subsidy from their carrier. Now this customer wants to cancel their line. This customer has 24 month remaining on their contract. (500 x 24 month) divided by 36 month = The ECF in this example will be $336.67 +tax.

These 5 rules are some of the new rules that will come into play on June 30th for Quebec customers.

To have a smooth Canadian iphone 4 launch, Apple and Rogers/Telus/Bell agreed to delay the the launch of the new iphone 4 because they didn't want to create rules for 6 days that they would have to change on June 30th. So all parties agreed that it was in their best interest for all carriers to be ready for the new Quebec law without having a major iphone launch to deal with. Every CSR who handles Quebec customers, Store Rep in Quebec must be retrained on the new rules. I don't think any carrier wants a CSR in a training class when thousand of customers are on hold waiting to speak with a CSR to see if they can qualify to get iphone 4.

If it wasn't for this new Quebec Law, the Canadian iphone 4 launch would have been on June 24 like the Americans. I can guarantee you this.
    Thank You Quebec.

Carriers have had months to prepare for Quebec's Pro-Consumer law, they are already prepared. If the new law continues to be an issue for carriers, it would pose a problem for all sales in the Province of Quebec for every carrier and that's bad for business.

Personally I don't think this law has anything to do with Apple launching the iPhone4 in July. Likely it's the logistics Apple has in shipping the iPhone all over the World and having to prepare multiple iPhones for Rogers, Bell and Telus plus the big3's flanker brands Fido and Virgin. That's a lot of pissing around in order to ship out to a small market when they have a global launch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent View Post
    Ask yourself why Apple launched iphone 3G and 3GS in Canada at the same time as the USA. If Canada is small as you say compared to some European countries, why did they launch 2008? If still small, why repeat its mistake and launch in 2009?
    Just because they did it then does not mean they can do it now. Stock levels and market forecasts have changed from a year ago. They likely decided to launch in the largest markets with as few carriers as possible. From that perspective the countries on the list make sense. USA, Germany and Japan have exclusive deals (so they have to be first). The UK and France (exclusive with Orange or do they have other carriers?) are just large consumer markets. Anyway, it makes sense to me to launch in 5 countries with with 8 or 9 carriers. That's manageable.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast