Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: If i upgrade do i lose my unlimited plan?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherPilot View Post
    What about the old first gen iPhone with the $20 unlimited data + 200 text plan. If I upgrade this line to the new iPhone 4 will I be able to keep unlimited data. Obviously it will have to be the $30 dollar plan but since it's such an old plan would they let me keep the unlimited data by moving up to a plan that is also now "extinct?"
    You won't be able to keep the $20 unltd data + 200 msg in that example if you upgrade to the iPhone 4. You would have to choose from the new tiered data pricing. That feature was only for the 2G iPhone.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    You won't be able to keep the $20 unltd data + 200 msg in that example if you upgrade to the iPhone 4. You would have to choose from the new tiered data pricing. That feature was only for the 2G iPhone.
    You should be able to keep the unlimited plan, as the plan they have is an unlimited package. Would have to see how OPUS handles it, but that's how it SHOULD work.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    Look it up but as I understand it if you have the current iphone 3g/3GS plan now iwth the unlimited ($30 on single and .. $50 on family) then you get to keep it if you keep the same plan and just upgrade the phone.
    Sorry for taking this thread a tad off-topic, but I'm currently a Sprint customer and I'm considering moving to AT&T. Are you saying that AT&T has a $50 data plan for families that applies to all lines?

Feedback Score
    No, not for iPhone accounts. There is no shared data model for smartphones on FamilyTalk rate plans.

Dave

Phones
    Nothing but Nokias
    Nokia Pureview 808 White, Orange E7 & Orange N8
    Back ups Nokia E75-2, E70-2, 7610, 6126
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well abusing of how friendly and accurate your responses are, I'd like to ask about my situation. Been an ATT customer even before the first ATT became Cingular.

Right now I have a bundle for unlimited data (not for smart phones) and unlimited text for $30 which I am using with a nokia e75. Now i'm actually getting bitten by the Iphone bug. I see all sorts of plans and options and I want to ask...is it possible with the iphon4 to get unlimited data and text for those same $30 i'm paying now?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you mean you had the orginal AT&T Wireless (not the current At&t) ?? If so, do you have an older "Blue" plan? If that is the case, you will have to convert your entire calling plan/features to a current plan at the current rates.

Phones
    Nothing but Nokias
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Do you mean you had the orginal AT&T Wireless (not the current At&t) ?? If so, do you have an older "Blue" plan? If that is the case, you will have to convert your entire calling plan/features to a current plan at the current rates.
    Yep i had the original ATT wireless...i have one of the new plans though. I had to switch when I added two lines for my folks. I think I used to have a cheaper bundle plan for unlimited data and text (media net it was called or something) but when I switched to the family plan I remember having to pay more and thats how I got stuck with the $30 bundle for unlimited data and text I have now.

I'm interested in the Iphone...only if I can get it at the same price I have now...maybe a few bux more. Otherwise, i'm just going to stick it out and do what I've been doing so far which is buying unlocked phones. My other alternative is the nokia N8 at this point since the HTC EVO is only on sprint.

Phones
    Nothing but Nokias
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ps..if it makes any difference, I just checked my account on AT&T and since january 09, according to their stats the most I've used in data was 555 MB...even with the ocational tethering. I assume it may increase a bit with an iphone, but I can't forsee going too much over 1GB.

Phones
    SGS II Skyrocket, HP Pre 3, Nexus S, iPhone 4S, Nokia N8 & HTC HD7 (Bell)
    Photon 4G & BB Bold 9930
    Pantech UML290, Nokia N9
    Carrier
    AT&T/Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Will I be able to keep the unlimited data plan if I convert two individual lines to Family Talk?

Phone
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    This is completely wrong. AT&T is allowing you to upgrade with subsidized pricing and still keep your unlimited plans. Please do your homework before posting misinformation...these forums are already full of it and your post does not help. Please see below:

"CNET: If I am upgrading from an iPhone to an iPhone 4, will I need to subscribe to one of the new data plans AT&T announced last week, or can I still keep the unlimited plan I had with my previous iPhone?
    Siegel: If you want to keep the $30 unlimited data plan, you can."

"Current subscribers will be able to keep their $30-per-month unlimited plans, even if they renew their contracts."
    Way to go with the tact and diplomacy, winner.

I've read just about everywhere that when you buy a new phone at a subsidized price that you have to sign a new contract, and upon doing so, the only option for data is a tiered plan. Guess I should add CNET to my list of reading material.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3G S
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    You are fine.
    No. If he is switching from a BB, Android, or iPhone to either of the other 2, then he will have to get the new 25 dollar data plan.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    NA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nychamp1 View Post
    No. If he is switching from a BB, Android, or iPhone to either of the other 2, then he will have to get the new 25 dollar data plan.
    To be specific, I have a Tilt 2 on a $30 unlimited plan. You're saying that if I upgrade the line, I will have to change my data plan from the unlimited one I have to one of the new ones? If so, WOW! I may be about to evaluate the other carriers again. Evo 4G or HD2 anyone?

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aadadams View Post
    To be specific, I have a Tilt 2 on a $30 unlimited plan. You're saying that if I upgrade the line, I will have to change my data plan from the unlimited one I have to one of the new ones? If so, WOW! I may be about to evaluate the other carriers again. Evo 4G or HD2 anyone?
    No you wont, the other comment is wrong.
    If you have an unlimited smart phone data plan of $30 and you want to upgrade you will be able to keep the unlimited plan. It does not matter what smart phone you have now or what smart phone you are going to.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    NA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    No you wont, the other comment is wrong.
    If you have an unlimited smart phone data plan of $30 and you want to upgrade you will be able to keep the unlimited plan. It does not matter what smart phone you have now or what smart phone you are going to.
    Thanks for reiterating! I've bought phones before that were not AT&T and they just never really lived up to expectation. I am going to try the iPhone, but may be interested in the other carriers that have the phones I mentioned. Glad to know that my data is safe in the event the iPhone 4 satisfies me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2