Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Touch Tethering

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Rumor Touch Tethering

So all of here with the new Beyond Talk plans are paying for UNLIMITED internet usage with some fairly decent download speeds. Has anyone successfully tamed the beast that is virgin mobile and tethered their rumor touch to a laptop?

I've found a few resources that make me believe this may be possible. Let's get this working!

http://www.tru-tech.hostei.com/pam/

Feedback Score
    you need your msl or spc code, And they would rather give you a new phone that's pre programmed then give you that code.

If you do or anyone does get it please post the phone you have and the msl you get because it will work for all of that model's phone. So if one of us gets it we can just post it and it will work for all or most of our phones.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So realistically this wont happen?

Oh, and is there any chance at getting 3rd party apps?? like .jad and .jar files?

Feedback Score
    I just read about this device yesterday and I'm hoping that it might work with the touch. Looks like magic, so who knows if it will work (especially with these locked-down touches), but I'm willing to give it a shot once it is available for purchase.

Magic tether device

Feedback Score
    no LG phones are supported per the spec sheet

Feedback Score

Hints of greatness

So you can download the latest LG CDMA USB Modem drivers from LG (Google around) and install them on your PC (even works on Vista 64). Check.

When you plug in the Rumor Touch while it is turned on, it will only be recognized as a USB mass storage device and you can copy files back and forth from the EXTERNAL microSD card. Doh.

If you turn the phone off while it is plugged in, the PC will actually find the USB modem and install the drivers correctly, but after a few seconds the PC no longer is able to see the devices. Close but no cigar.

Assuming you could somehow get that USB modem connection to stick around, you could then use CDMA Workshop to query the device for it's MSL. Once you have the MSL, then you could go poke around and do some damage in the service menu and maybe turn some stuff on or off.

Does any one have working service menu codes for this device? I tried some for the LG Rumor and they didn't do anything, although others have posted on the Internet that the Rumor codes should work. Also be aware that you can seriously irreversibly mess up your device if you poke around with some service menu entries the wrong way.

For now I'll just be content with a pretty nice handset until someone much smarter than I can hack this thing.

Feedback Score

this link works for lg cdma usb drivers

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    with those drivers, the phone is only recognized about 3 seconds before it powers down.

is there any way we can get the phone to stay recognized as a usb modem???

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsno12 View Post
    with those drivers, the phone is only recognized about 3 seconds before it powers down.

is there any way we can get the phone to stay recognized as a usb modem???
    Which probably means that the BREW shell upon which VM's OS runs is blocking the unwanted (to the company) USB access. I would guess that the BREW shell only shuts down during the power-down process, about 3 seconds before the phone powers down. Without the BREW shell, there's no OS. Without the OS, you can't use the phone.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile usa
    Feedback Score
    well the only way i can think that would slow things down is to have a slow computer, but at the same time you have to know what you are looking for and where to look. either way its gonna take some time before anyone figures anything out....

ok so i was looking in my device manager as i plugged my rt into my comp while it was off... and 1 extra device popped up under modems and i managed to open it before it closed and now im looking into the device details for anything that can help find the msl although this is probably just a dead end but im willing to do whatever to help :P

ok well i managed to open all 3 device properties that the phone causes to pop up they are, LGE CDMA USB Serial Port (COM5) LGE CDMA USB GPS NMEA Port (COM6) LGE CDMA USB Modem. took many many trys to click on them within the split second they are available but i managed to do it so let me know where to go from here and i would be able to help. you can also txt me (i dnt really care(602 741 6367)) instructions and what i need to do (if anything can be done from here) but im glad to help cause this phone needs to be unlocked so we can fully enjoy it
    Last edited by Nitestalkr; 07-04-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Feedback Score
    typing this on my rumor lol. Anyways i did the same thing this morning. What needs to happen now is to try to read the msl code with a program like qpst within that short time.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile usa
    Feedback Score
    haha yea i tried bitpim but thats too slow and cdma ws is slow.. ive also been trying to look for a calc like the one they put in cdma ws but ive had no luck and dont wanna pay for cdma ws when im only gonna use it like once the last idea i have left to attempt is calling either virgin mobile or sprint with a good enough excuse so they would give out the msl. but one other thing is that i also been diging around alot and read a few times that the msl may not work for all models of the same phone, although there is still a small chance that it might. i personally wont call vm or sprint and try asking for the msl just cause i cant think of a good enough excuse. so its up to some one else if they wanna take up that last resort option. im just gonna keep trying alternative ways and programs to get the msl. till then good luck everybody

Feedback Score
    Ok i posted the MSL / service code for the LG Rumor Touch in another thread LINK

please go there and find it. It would be nice if all the info posted could be kept centralized.
    Last edited by Alex F450; 07-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...k-bypass/page2
    This is as close as we are going to get to tethering, and from the looks of this thread, Virgin will give out MSL codes if come up with a good reason!

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I hate to double post but...

if anyone has an idea of what menu codes could work for us, besides ##DEBUG#, cause that only gives you advanced phone data, it doesn't have any toggles. Also, just like Sprint, the MSL number is different for each device.

with a new code, we could probably get a few menu options open, and enable USB (for tethering) as well as get any JAVA app to work

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast