Thread: Syncing 2 iPhones to one iTunes

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Syncing 2 iPhones to one iTunes

My wife and I are upgrading to the iPhone 4 on launch. My wife is new to iPhone, I'm not. Anyone here have experience syncing 2 iPhones to iTunes and application management?

For example:

I have apps that I paid for can they be added to her iPhone since it will be using the same Apple iTunes Store ID?

What about Apps like Facebook and TweetDeck. Since the main file is the same, will it have problems keeping the data different between the 2 phones? If I sync her phone and then sync mine will my Facebook be logged in as her?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My wife and I both sync our phones to the same iTunes account, and have no problems at all. Paid apps (and any other apps) can be put on any device sync'd to that account.

One thing you have to watch is sync'ing apps that are on one phone that you don't want on the other one. So if you install one on yours and she doesn't want it on hers, you have to make sure you un-check that particular app to be sync'd when her phone is plugged in. Luckily it does remember your previous app sync preferences each time either phone is connected.

I'm not totally sure about the FB thing. My wife doesn't do FB anymore, so it's only on mine. But I don't think FB stores any data on your phone, you're just using the app to access what they store on their servers. It's just an interface alternate from the actual website. I know both of us have apps like a restaurant tip calculator, and a baby diary app, and the data stored on each phone is NOT transferred to the other phone.

Actually, when you sync the phone, a backup is made for each device which contains the data. The data itself is not synced or is even available through iTunes. It's only the apps themselves that are synced.

Phone
    iPhone fOur
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You two should create your own libraries. Other wise your phone will be clones of each other. Every stupid app she downloads you will have. Everything you write in your note pad...she will have.
    Every backstreet boys CD that she had...you will now have.
    I think when you have have separate libraries, you still share certain paid applications.

Just hold the SHIFT button when you open iTunes until a message appears. That is what I do to manage a Iphone and a Ipod on the same computer.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by {StatuSChecKa} View Post
    You two should create your own libraries. Other wise your phone will be clones of each other. Every stupid app she downloads you will have. Everything you write in your note pad...she will have.
    Every backstreet boys CD that she had...you will now have.
    I think when you have have separate libraries, you still share certain paid applications.

Just hold the SHIFT button when you open iTunes until a message appears. That is what I do to manage a Iphone and a Ipod on the same computer.
    Sorry, that's not the case. You can set notes to not sync. We don't sync notes to iTunes, but if something happens there's the backup of each individual phone.

We also have a playlist folder set up for each phone, with various other play lists in each folder. Any music I want on my phone is in my playlist folder, music on hers is in hers, and each phone is set to only sync that particular playlist folder. Same with apps as I mentioned above - each phone is set to sync only certain apps, some of which we both have and some of which are only on one phone.

We have all our music on our PC in one place, so I didn't want to have to deal with setting up multiple libraries. It really does work well with just the one library.

TIP: be sure to set your phones to NOT sync automatically when you connect and/or launch iTunes. That way you can change settings and get things like you want it, what is sync'd, etc. and then hit the Sync/Apply button.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you Patrick that's exactly what I was looking for, I'm already very familiar with the different options to sync that I have for different iPods but really wanted to know what goes on with Apps.

For an App like Facebook it's able to keep your settings and not get them confused with eachother?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CommentNinja View Post
    Thank you Patrick that's exactly what I was looking for, I'm already very familiar with the different options to sync that I have for different iPods but really wanted to know what goes on with Apps.

For an App like Facebook it's able to keep your settings and not get them confused with eachother?
    I'm almost positive that only the app itself is synced to iTunes. There is no data or settings synced, because you can't actually open the app and use it from within iTunes. Your data and settings will be backed up each time you sync as part of the backup made for each device.

I have opted not to sync things like calendar, contacts, notes, etc. (everything under that one tab, forgot the name) because we don't use Outlook or anything like that at home. We only used web-based e-mail accounts.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's better to have different accounts for you guys. You won't be able to share paid apps, but that's really the right way to go about it anyway. Think about it; downloading TomTom and syncing it across a 400 line business because they all use the same iTunes account isn't exactly fair use. Same principle, smaller scale.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    um what? You're comparing an enterprise environment to a home use environment. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

We both purchase music and apps on the same iTunes account with the same credit card. There is no point in having it separate. As long as you're willing to sync both phones to the same account, there is NO PROBLEM sharing the apps between those devices. Apple even states it as such in their terms and conditions.

Do you really want to pay twice for the same thing if you both like the same music and use the same apps? And with the sync options in iTunes, it's pretty easy to keep separate the stuff that you want to stay separate.

This is how it's been since the iPod and iTunes were first introduced. You can sync any number of devices with the same iTunes account - for home use. I'm sure Apple has totally different terms for business/enterprise use.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Trying to do a restore to a backup on a shared iTunes account has always given me problems. Your mileage may vary.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    Trying to do a restore to a backup on a shared iTunes account has always given me problems. Your mileage may vary.
    Can you be more specific? On my iTunes I have a backup for my device, and one for my wife's device. If mine or hers needs a restore, I would restore from the respective file. I have yet to have to do so, so I'd like to hear what sort of problems you've had.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Me and my wife both have iPhone's and iTunes keeps the data separate between the two. I make a playlist with music I want and she makes one with the music she want's. We both use Facebook with no shared data. Our notes are separate the only thing that is shared is that when one downloads an app the other get's it and one deletes it it only shows up on one.
    Generic signature text.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Can you be more specific? On my iTunes I have a backup for my device, and one for my wife's device. If mine or hers needs a restore, I would restore from the respective file. I have yet to have to do so, so I'd like to hear what sort of problems you've had.
    I should say has given my customers issues. It could be that they're not very computer literate, but I always recommend separate iTunes accounts and haven't had a problem with that.

Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    So I am gonna get the new iPhone and give my 3gs to my fiancee. How would I get those apps onto my phone? Just sync my phone with the same settings?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madjsp View Post
    So I am gonna get the new iPhone and give my 3gs to my fiancee. How would I get those apps onto my phone? Just sync my phone with the same settings?
    Just sync the 3gs in iTunes, hook up the new phone, and then you can sync all or some of the apps to the new phone.

I would probably wait and get iOS4 on the 3gs before syncing the new iPhone 4.