Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I port my number to AT&T? It says my number is ineligible.

Feedback Score

How do I port my number to AT&T? It says my number is ineligible.

I have a NY number that i have had for years. I currently live in PA. I am planning on pre-ordering the iPhone 4 on the 15th, but because my number is a NY number, and my zip code is in PA, AT&T will not let me port it over.

I could use an address of a friend in NYC, but then the billing and shipping address have to be the same, and the phone will only ship to that address.

Is there a way around this? I hate to give up my number. If I get a new number with the iPhone, and keep my current no-contract phone with tmobile, is there a way to swap numbers afterwards? Once swapped, I can cancel the t-mobile account.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    try giving their customer support a call and see if they have a better answer, most people on here aren't going to know something this detailed & any answers may not be correct.

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to bring it over, never seen that happen before, unless going from certain pre paid companies to contract phones

Good luck either way

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply!

When I called customer service, they were not very informative. The only thing that I got was that the number to be ported over must match the zip code. She said that I could use a NYC address, but the phone would ship there and that would need to be my billing address for my credit card.

I am hoping someone else has run into this issue in the past and may be able to shed some light.

Phone
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    If customer service doesn't have any solutions for you, why not just use the NYC address and then call up customer service a few days later and say you moved?

Telephonically NEVER satisfied.

Feedback Score
    The only problem with that option is that I am being told that the billing address and shipping address has to be the same. Not only will that be a problem from a billing perspective since my credit card company does not have the NYC address, but they will also ship the phone to the NYC address.

Phone
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    You have to pay by credit card?

Feedback Score
    I could pay cash, but how do i get around phone being shipped to the billing address?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You could go to a store and do it. They'd be happy to have your business.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It is called "Local Number Portability." You can only transfer numbers from one carrier to another in the same local calling area. There are no New York area codes in Pennsylvania.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    I understand the concept - technically you are correct. However, in this day and age, everyone takes their phone number with them. I've moved from NY to NJ to NC and PA and have had no issues porting this number. If I was simply going into an AT&T store and purchasing a regular phone (instead of the pre-ordering process), I would have no problems in porting this number. As a matter of fact, I was on AT&T until February and ported it to a month to month TMobile plan while I was waiting to see what the new iPhone looked like before signing the 2 year contract with AT&T and had no issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    You could go to a store and do it. They'd be happy to have your business.
    Thanks. I will try that on the 15th - it is just that AT&T did not sound very encouraging when I called them. I was told that the zip code has to be in the same market, and that my billing and shipping information has to be the same, so giving them a friend's address in NYC won't work either.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Droid - returned to Motorola back to V3
    SE w760i
    Carriers
    at&t
    (t-mobile - too little in-buidling coverage to be primary)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmehtas View Post
    I have a NY number that i have had for years. I currently live in PA. I am planning on pre-ordering the iPhone 4 on the 15th, but because my number is a NY number, and my zip code is in PA, AT&T will not let me port it over.

I could use an address of a friend in NYC, but then the billing and shipping address have to be the same, and the phone will only ship to that address.

Is there a way around this? I hate to give up my number. If I get a new number with the iPhone, and keep my current no-contract phone with tmobile, is there a way to swap numbers afterwards? Once swapped, I can cancel the t-mobile account.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Get a new number from your local area. Once you receive the phone, activate and use it for a day. Then switch your billing address to New York temporarily. Then request to port the number to replace your PA number. Once the port completes change your billing address back to PA. It will work with no issues.
    iPhone 4

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When I moved from New Jersey to California 3-4 years ago I was on Verizon. In california I ported my jersey number to att.
    Just go to an att store and someone should be able to help you. They can do it I am living proof.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post
    When I moved from New Jersey to California 3-4 years ago I was on Verizon. In california I ported my jersey number to att.
    Just go to an att store and someone should be able to help you. They can do it I am living proof.
    Your number was "ported" to AT&T in New Jersey and not in California. There is no way a New Jersey number can be assigned to a local calling area in California.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post
    Get a new number from your local area. Once you receive the phone, activate and use it for a day. Then switch your billing address to New York temporarily. Then request to port the number to replace your PA number. Once the port completes change your billing address back to PA. It will work with no issues.
    Thanks. If I am unable to port the number directly to the new phone, I will try this way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast