Phones
    iP4 - 16gb
    60-70 phones since 2000
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Selling iPhone ... How do I disable my iTunes account on the phone?

I've got a couple serious buyers for my iPhone 3g and I'm probably going to sell it today or tomorrow, but how do I disable my iTunes account on my phone? I know they can't download anything without my password, but I still don't like the fact it's still my iTunes account on this phone.

Also, how do I delete all my songs, contacts and apps from the phone (instead of one at a time)? Do I go through iTunes and choose "restore"?

I've never sold an iPhone before, just wanna make sure I don't mess up and leave anything important on it. But I also want to be able to use this information (contacts & apps) on my next iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    iPhone 5 16GB
    iPhone 5 32GB (wife)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Unless you're trying to sell the phone as jailbroken, the best thing to do is a full erase of the phone, which will erase everything you've ever put on the phone.

Do a full backup of your phone to iTunes, then start the erase. It's "Setting -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings". On a 3g, this full erase takes several hours, so do it well before you turn the phone over to the new owner.

This only affects your iPhone. All your info will be saved in iTunes. You can even restore the 3g from iTunes, if you decide not to sell it, and it will be exactly as you left it.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Unless you're trying to sell the phone as jailbroken, the best thing to do is a full erase of the phone, which will erase everything you've ever put on the phone.

Do a full backup of your phone to iTunes, then start the erase. It's "Setting -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings". On a 3g, this full erase takes several hours, so do it well before you turn the phone over to the new owner.

This only affects your iPhone. All your info will be saved in iTunes. You can even restore the 3g from iTunes, if you decide not to sell it, and it will be exactly as you left it.
    Actually thsi doesn't do anything for the iTunes account. I did the same thing and when i restarted the phone, it asked for my iTunes password and remembered my email address. I just signed out at the bottom of iTunes store in iPhone.

Phones
    iP4 - 16gb
    60-70 phones since 2000
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks for both of the reply's! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Phones
    LG VX9800
    Samsung I700
    IPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does doing a full erase also restore it to the latest firmware? My 3GS is still on 3.0.1, and I don't want it to automatically upgrade to 3.1 and new baseband before I get a chance to JB and unlock it.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsx11 View Post
    Actually thsi doesn't do anything for the iTunes account. I did the same thing and when i restarted the phone, it asked for my iTunes password and remembered my email address. I just signed out at the bottom of iTunes store in iPhone.
    When you erase all content and settings, you cannot restart the phone without using iTunes. The iTunes email account came from reconnecting to iTunes on your computer.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtle View Post
    Does doing a full erase also restore it to the latest firmware? My 3GS is still on 3.0.1, and I don't want it to automatically upgrade to 3.1 and new baseband before I get a chance to JB and unlock it.
    Leaves you on the same firmware if you do it from the iPhone's settings>reset>all content and settings menu.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    When you erase all content and settings, you cannot restart the phone without using iTunes. The iTunes email account came from reconnecting to iTunes on your computer.
    That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. I was wondering what was going on.

Phones
    iP4 - 16gb
    60-70 phones since 2000
    Carrier
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Sold it, dropped it off yesterday afternoon.... Did the full system reset from within the iPhone. I told the guy to call if he had any problems, I haven't heard anything so I figure "no news is good news". I got $200 for it (8gb 3g), so I don't think I did too bad.