Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fido Unlimited Plans FAQ

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score

Fido Unlimited Plans FAQ

Here are the details for all versions of these plans. Please read carefully and post questions in this thread. Let's keep the forum free of redundant threads on this topic! Remember, these plans are retention offers and thus they are not available to new customers. They are designed to prevent people from leaving for the new carriers. No, you cannot open a new line and get one of these plans unless you wait a minimum 90 days and retention decides to offer them to you at that time, and if they are still available.

PUBLICLY AVAILABLE PLANS (as of March 1, 2011 - present)

$35 CityFido Unlimited local calls (zoned). Details here.

$40 Unlimited local calls (non-zoned). Details:
    - Unlimited Local Calling
    - Unlimited Global SMS
    - Unlimited BBM

The $40 plan is the same as CityFido but can be used in ANY local calling area in Canada....not just in the specified CityFido zones. It is currently available by request only. It is NOT advertised but can be activated at retail stores or from regular CS.

RECENT UNLIMITED RETENTION OFFERS (available from September 9, 2010 through to Feb 28, 2011) NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE!!

$35 plan: Unlimited Local Calling.
    $50 plan: Unlimited Calling including Canada/US Long Distance and Canada/US Text Messaging.

These plans are like any other plans and have NO SPECIFIED CITY "ZONES". The $35 plan will apply in whatever local calling area you are located in at anytime and includes unlimited incoming/outgoing local calling, the $50 plan includes unlimited incoming/outgoing local AND long distance calling to any phone number in Canada and the USA. (No long distance, no out of zone fees, as long as you are connected to a Fido/Rogers tower.)

This $50 plan is by far the best plan ever offered by FIDO. It does not matter where you are in Canada, all your incoming/outgoing calls to anywhere in the country or to the USA are included for one extremely low flat rate!

EVEN OLDER OFFERS (May 26 - Sep 8, 2010)

$50 plan: Unlimited Local Calling. (ZONED to one area like CityFido)
    $80 plan: Unlimited Local Calling + Unlimited SMS + 6GB Data (BB version available, ZONED like CityFido)

Long distance was not included in these plans.

ORIGINAL OFFERS (April - May 25, 2010)

$50 plan: Unlimited Local Calling. (NO ZONES)
    $80 plan: Unlimited Local Calling + Unlimited SMS + 6GB Data (BB version was available, NO ZONES)

Long distance was not included in these plans.

There are two different categories of the non-long distance $50/$80 plans. Those that were offered BEFORE May 26, 2010 which are not restricted to one city and those that were offered AFTER May 25, 2010 which are "zoned" like CityFido plans. Those who got the plans before May 26 are grandfathered and can use their unlimited calling within any city in Canada. If you're one of the lucky ones who got it first, you can skip this next section and scroll down to the FAQ's below.

May 26 - September 8 versions of the $50 and $80 unlimited retention plans:

Your plan includes unlimited local voice minutes ($50) or unlimited local voice minutes plus unlimited nationwide SMS plus 6GB local data ONLY. Your unlimited voice calls are only valid within the CityFido zone of the city you activated it in. Voice usage outside your zone is currently $0.35/min (per-secod, plus applicable LD charges).

To see the zone boundaries for your May 26 - Sep 8 version of the $50/$80 retention plans, click your city below.

Quebec City
    Montreal
    Ottawa
    London
    Toronto
    Winnipeg
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Vancouver
    Victoria

To check if you're within your zone, simply dial *#123# and press SEND. You will get a message letting you know whether you're in your zone or not. If you're on the original non-zoned version you will just get a message that reads "NO TARIFF AREA INFORMATION AVAILABLE".

*Also of note: These new versions of the plans cannot be transferred to other cities, IE: if you move you'll have to change your plan. Those on the older non-zoned versions can move the plans anywhere in Canada.
    ----

FAQ'S FOR THOSE WITH THE GRANDFATHERED $50/$80 UNLIMITED PLANS OFFERED BEFORE MAY 26, 2010:

What is included in the original $50 Unlimited plan?

The pre-May 26 $50 unlimited plan includes unlimited calling 24/7 within your local calling area. There are no "zones" to worry about, but long distance charges will apply just like with any other plan. The local calling area is the same local calling area as all other regular plans. These areas are different than CityFido zones, and when you travel the plans travel with you. Your unlimited local calling area becomes wherever you happen to be at anytime within Canada. IE: If you signed up for the plan in Vancouver and travel to Kelowna, all your local calls in Kelowna are included too. If you move to Toronto or anywhere else, you can simply request a phone number change and keep your unlimited plan. These plans and included features can be used anywhere as long as you're connected to a Fido/Rogers tower.

What is included in the original $80 Unlimited plan?

Same as above, plus unlimited Canadian SMS and 6GB of data access nationwide.

Can I use this plan with a Blackberry?

Yes, there was a BB version of the original $80 plan available. However, if you didn't ask for the BB version and now you want to switch to it, you'll have to get a current plan.

I gave up my CityFido classic for this. What is the difference with these plans?

You made a good choice. No more out-of-zone fees while traveling. If you're in a different city and make local calls within that local area your calls will still be unlimited. (Just like the old CountryFido plans)

FAQ'S FOR ALL VERSIONS OF THESE PLANS:

Can I add long distance to these plans?

Yes, to any of the previous $50/$80 versions or the new $35 version. The new $50 plan already includes CAN/USA long distance. Long distance add-ons are listed on www.fido.ca and can be added to any other plan. If you choose the $20 unlimited Canadian long distance option on the previous plans, you will have a truly unlimited nationwide calling plan! (Of course, with the zoned versions your unlimited LD only applies while calling from your zone. From outside your zone it simply covers your extra LD charges but you still pay the out-of-zone rate)

Do these plans include Call Display and Voicemail?

No. You can add the $10 Value Pack for Call Display, Voicemail, and WhoCalled.

Can I switch between a Blackberry and other phones with the $80 plan?

Yes, if you have the BB version. Blackberry data plans work on all devices including BB's, whereas non-blackberry data will not work on BB's.

Who is eligible for these plans?

Customers who have been with Fido for a minimum of three months and are considering leaving for other carriers, specifically the new entrants, will often be offered the current versions of the plans. In most cases, it has to be offered to you by the Fido Customer Relations department. As with all retention/loyalty offers, it is up to the individual rep to make the offer available.

I tried to get the plan and they wouldn't give it to me. What do I say?

Again, you must be eligible and/or offered these plans. Learn about negotiating in the Fido Retention Thread.

Are these plans available without a contract?

These plans are technically available on month-to-month, 2 year, or 3 year agreements.

I already have an agreement. Do I have to start a new agreement if I switch to one of these plans?

Negative. Your agreement term will remain the same.

I forget what date I got the plan. How do I check whether I have the Canada-wide version or the zoned version?

Dial *#123# and press SEND. If you get a message that says "NO TARIFF AREA INFORMATION AVAILABLE" then you have the original non-zoned plan.

What are the ECF details for this plan?

The ECF rules and penalties are the same as all other current plans. Refer to www.fido.ca for details.

Can I just add the 6GB to my current plan?

No, at the time of this writing there is no standalone 6GB data plan available. You must take the $80 package. However, the 6GB promo data plan may become available again from time to time. EDIT (August 2010): The 6GB data option is now available for a limited time on a 3-year data contract.

Can I tether with the 6GB?

Yes of course. You may tether for no extra charge on any data option of 1GB or higher.

----
    Hopefully this will help answer all the basic questions for people!

Cheers.
    Last edited by credmau5; 03-04-2011 at 05:20 AM.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Is Fido the first carrier in Canada to offer zoned data? That's just wrong.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Molecule View Post
    Is Fido the first carrier in Canada to offer zoned data? That's just wrong.
    I'm not saying that there isn't any carrier that does this in North America (or the world) but I don't know of any carrier in North America that has zoned data... what's next? Zone-based SMS (receiving SMS for free or as part of your plan only in your zone and sending/receiving SMS out of your zone carrying a surcharge)?
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Daytime data + unlimited evening and weekend data...I can see it

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Daytime data + unlimited evening and weekend data...I can see it
    Oh dear let's hope not! And let's also cross our fingers that the data zoning is just a misprint on Fido's part. Hey, you never know.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Don't forget a $10 addon to start your evening data at 5 instead of 7.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry, it'll never happen. There probably won't be UNLIMITED data at all, not even just for evenings. Otherwise everyone would just wait for evenings and start downloading movies and torrents. I could however see local data plans & SMS becoming standard lol.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I could see long distance charges if you are using your data to communicate with people / regions outside.

Like if I'm in Toronto, using my local data, and I wanna access the UBC website in Vancouver, a LD charge will apply for LD data!

Device(s)
    Cingular 8525(Data), Sammy A736(Voice) SOLD SE S500I(Voice), SOLD-Nokia 6300, Q9H, RAZR2 V9
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    I could see long distance charges if you are using your data to communicate with people / regions outside.

Like if I'm in Toronto, using my local data, and I wanna access the UBC website in Vancouver, a LD charge will apply for LD data!
    Lol they could maybe have zoned data but def not the above nonsese
    ===================================
    My blog: http://www.justgeeky.com
    My site: http://www.facilityhost.com
    Free Image Hosting: http://www.imageupload.ca
    My feedback

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Why is this thread in existence? These retention plans are worthless and anyone excepting them belongs in the bottom tier of our society when it comes to thinking abilities.

Device(s)
    Samsung Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Damn.. i missed this new unlimited plan.. I'm still on old countryfido + fidopro + 6gb.. $80 would be $30 cheaper than my current monthly bill
    -
    "The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Cool

Guys Wind has/had zoned data.
    Tony may ! Suggest you get the $5. Expanded network option added to your GPUNL before the plan is zoned to the original Fido network footprint.
    Never was old data guaranteed unfettered access to Rogers network..

These plans are to compete with the new Zoned competitors.
    No mention what I negotiated though.
    Thanks Fido

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    Tony may ! Suggest you get the $5. Expanded network option added to your GPUNL before the plan is zoned to the original Fido network footprint.
    Never was old data guaranteed unfettered access to Rogers network..

These plans are to compete with the new Zoned competitors.
    No mention what I negotiated though.
    Thanks Fido
    Thanks for the suggestion, however Fido's Network has expanded since its early days and now covers 94% of the Canadian population.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie View Post
    Incorrect. WIND is not zoned. Not at all! You can use all your WIND plan features anywhere on WIND's network, and it doesn't matter if you travel from one city to another. Your plan follows you. IE: If you have a Vancouver WIND plan and go to Toronto, you can still use your unlimited voice and data there as well. A "zoned" plan like these Fido retention plans does not allow that and you get charged extra unless you remain in the SAME city you activated in.

Fido = Big network, but Zoned unlimited plans.
    Wind = Small network, but non-Zoned unlimited plans.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This is what I meant by zones for wind. Technically roaming but still in & outside a "zone".
    "
    Your WIND mobile phone will display “WIND Zone” when you're on our network and “AWAY” whenever you’re outside of our WIND Zones, anywhere in Canada.
    Calls to anywhere in Canada or the U.S. (all destinations): 25 cents/minute
    Any calls to you: 25 cents/minute
    Any text messages you receive (from anywhere in the world): free of charge
    To use the Internet on your phone: 10 cents/25 kB

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast