Thread: TracFone area code question

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score

TracFone area code question

I'm new to the whole pre-paid phone service. My daughter stays with me for only a few months during the summer, so I decided to get her a cheap Tracfone so she can call her mother and other family members. I went with Tracfone because I thought they used USCC in my area. But I'm not very sure because this phone gets a very weak signal and keeps switching to roaming! This should not be if using USCC because my parents USCC phones get a strong signal! My question is, should the Tracfone have a local area code? The phone number that was assigned has a Nebraska area code But we are in Wisconsin!! Is this correct or should I try something else?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silliybilly View Post
    I'm new to the whole pre-paid phone service. My daughter stays with me for only a few months during the summer, so I decided to get her a cheap Tracfone so she can call her mother and other family members. I went with Tracfone because I thought they used USCC in my area. But I'm not very sure because this phone gets a very weak signal and keeps switching to roaming! This should not be if using USCC because my parents USCC phones get a strong signal! My question is, should the Tracfone have a local area code? The phone number that was assigned has a Nebraska area code But we are in Wisconsin!! Is this correct or should I try something else?
    What model phone do you have?

To determine the underlying carrier, go to http://wirelessamberalerts.org enter the phone number and click Submit. It should tell you who is providing your service.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    I got the LG 220C. And when I type in the # assigned to me on the website, It says number not found or service isnt avaible! I looked up the SID and it comes up as a Nebraska Alltel SID! I dialed *228 and got a VZW message. Can I call Tracfone CS and ask for a wisconsin USCC #??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silliybilly View Post
    Can I call Tracfone CS and ask for a wisconsin USCC #??
    Yes. You're best off calling Executive Resolutions at 1-800-876-5753 during east coast business hours. If you get an out-sourced rep who doesn't seem to understand the problem, try calling again.

Sometimes they assign a long-distance area code when there are no local ones available - but assigning a carrier with no decent coverage in your area is pretty bad. If they can't or won't give you a decent solution with the CDMA phone, and if you have ATT or T-Mobile coverage, you could push them to send you a GSM phone.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I always thought that Tracfone used USCC in southern WI but must have switched to VZW. My parent's house is in a cellular black hole for all carriers except for USCC. Sprint, VZW and AT&T are all spotty and very unrealiable there. TMobile is not an option in our area. So, I hope maybe they can switch me over to USCC service. But I hear Tracfone CS can be a nightmare!

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Is USCC US Cellular? If so why not just get service with them? They have prepaid listed on their website.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    Because I only need service for my 9 yr old daughter while see stays with me over the summer. USCC pre paid service is kinda pricey for the 2 months that she needs service. Tracfone is cheap.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I just found their website and they are very pricey. Activation fees,of $59 ,wow. Plans that are as expensive as contract plans. Prices remind me of a few years back when you didn't have all this competition between companies. If they're the only reliable carrier in that area maybe thats why they can pull it off. We know Tracfone/NET10 uses USCC in some places. I guess the key is getting that right area code for your number.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Does it appear to you that the phone is Roaming on USCC some/most of the time? There is no extra charge when roaming. But your overall service quality must be acceptable to you.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, that the VZW signal is weak and it will switch over to roaming but it wont stay there very long. It keeps fighting to hold a weak VZW signal instead of just staying on a strong USCC signal! I can start a call but it is very bad quality and will drop the call after a bit. Grrrr!

Feedback Score
    If they refuse to switch you over, you might try looking for a zip code that has USCC and absolutely no Verizon coverage, and then call back and switch to that zip code. If you can find such a place within your local calling area that's a plus. Even if you can'tm it would seem to be an improvement.

Other readers might be able to provide you with such zip codes.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking about that. Another poster on here from southern WI claims to have USCC for his zip code. But he lives in a bigger city where VZW has strong coverage. So I'm thinking that Tracfone has changed priority to VZW over USCC in the area now.