Thread: HD2 $48.88 at Walmart with 2yr contract

Feedback Score

HD2 $48.88 at Walmart with 2yr contract

You can tell that WM is virtually dead when this deal has been going on since this past weekend and there's been no mention of it here at all. There is also a rumor that all T-Mobile phones will be free on family plan contracts this coming Sunday.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/06/1...ily-plans-nex/

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    i paid $100 more few months ago!
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    On June 19 all handsets will be free with a 2 year contract and they say the HD2 will be included.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    On June 19 all handsets will be free with a 2 year contract and they say the HD2 will be included.
    For new family plan only

Feedback Score
    I just saw this thread.

Is this deal still going on?

Is the deal only for new customers, or also for upgraders? (In my case, single plan, expired contract.)

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    I just saw this thread.

Is this deal still going on?

Is the deal only for new customers, or also for upgraders? (In my case, single plan, expired contract.)
    WalMart is for everyone!
    old or new customer!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    WalMart is for everyone!
    old or new customer!
    I checked Walmart online, and the price for new customers now is $69.99. (Not as good as Amazon--$49.99.) For those upgrading via Walmart--$159.99, well over twice as much! So, unless it is different in-store than online, it does not look like Walmart offers the same price to upgraders as to new customers.

Feedback Score
    Walmart In-store and On-Line pricing is often different. I saw the HD2 at Walmart a couple of days ago at the $48 something price with a 2 year contract.

Feedback Score
    When one asks at a Wal-mart store, they do say that the $48.88 price applies to an upgrade also, if one's contract has expired. (They still have that price, by the way.)

A couple problems though, as I found out in a Wm store the other day.

1. You absolutely have to sign up for a $30 monthly data plan (not even $20 or $25) with that upgrade, or it will not go through at all.

2. If your past contract was a one year contract, has expired, Wal-mart (perhaps all 3rd party resellers) doesn't know that! In my case, my last T-Mobile contract renewal was done in March 2009, with a phone purchase through retentions. At the time, not wanting to wait two years before being eligible for an upgrade again, I paid $50 extra to get a one year contract extension, instead of two. So, my contract expired months ago, in March 2010. I should be eligible for a full upgrade.

However, the Wal-mart system does not know that, that my contract has expired. All their system shows is that I last renewed my contract in March 2009. As far as they know, I renewed a two year contract. (My guess--the fault is with t-mobile. They do not send out that info to 3rd party resellers, if a person got a one instead of two year contract.) WM's system has to show 22 months since the last time the contract was renewed, or it will not give the upgrade price. (In my case, it said that I needed to pay $348.88 for the phone!) I spent a long time talking to the rep, and a long time on the phone with T-Mo, and there was no way around it. I could not get the phone from Walmart for the $48.88 price, or anything close. (Moral. Probably not worth it to pay $50 extra to get a one year contract instead of two (if they even still offer that option), as third party resellers won't even know that. All they see is your contract renewal date, and assume it was for two years.) Sucks.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    When one asks at a Wal-mart store, they do say that the $48.88 price applies to an upgrade also, if one's contract has expired. (They still have that price, by the way.)

A couple problems though, as I found out in a Wm store the other day.

1. You absolutely have to sign up for a $30 monthly data plan (not even $20 or $25) with that upgrade, or it will not go through at all..
    This is not all true. you can choose unlimited SMS $25 instead of $30 monthly data plan, you can cancel it at any time later. system will let you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    This is not all true. you can choose unlimited SMS $25 instead of $30 monthly data plan, you can cancel it at any time later. system will let you go.
    Coolio, why do you make up stuff?

I was at a Walmart last Friday night, trying to do the purchase. The rep tried to put it through with me keeping my current $20 Total Internet plan.

The system kept changing it to the $30 data plan. There was absolutely no choice of data plans, but only the $30, nothing else. That was not the choice of the rep, but all that the system would let him do.

I don't know about cancelling it later (possible that T-Mo would then want you to pay full price for the phone--they are selling it for a discount, expecting the money coming in from those plans). But you definitely have to buy the $30 monthly data plan when you upgrade to that phone at Wal-mart.

Something else I found out, shows that a prior statement of yours was BS. You said something like "doesn't matter if your HD2 LCD breaks, and it isn't covered by warranty. You can pay $200 to cancel your contract. then buy the phone for $48 at Wal-mart". You definitely said something just like that.

Well, despite the fact that many people don't find $250 cheap, especially if their first phone went bad after a few months, but it is quite clear (see my previous post in this thread), that that would not work at all! Walmart (probably all 3rd party resellers) doesn't even know if you are in contract or out of contract, whether you cancelled or not. All they see is the date you last renewed your contract, and if it is less than 22 months ago, you are not eligible for the upgrade price. Therefore in my case, since I last renewed my contract in March 2009, even though I paid extra at that time to make it a one instead of two year contract, and T-Mo knows I am out of contract, Walmart didn't know that, and could not consider me for the upgrade price, since it has not been 22 months since March 2009. So your great idea of getting a new phone "cheap" would not work at all!

You seem to have a penchant for putting your foot in your mouth, and for making up crap, and pretending that you know sh*t that you don't know at all!

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    i have two lines HD2s (form walmart), i don't have any $30 data plan, only my tzone.
    jealous, right ? many ways you can work around.
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 08-05-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile for 7 years, now with AT&T for 4 years
    Feedback Score
    CoolPhone, can I ask you a question. Do you experience the famous T-Mobile data limit slow down with the 5.99 plan?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythagoras View Post
    CoolPhone, can I ask you a question. Do you experience the famous T-Mobile data limit slow down with the 5.99 plan?

Thanks.
    No, I never experience data limited slow down issue yet. it looks like a real unlimited so far.