Thread: 450d vs 500d is the 160+usd price difference worth the newer sensor?

Device(s)
    samsung e738
    Carrier(s)
    Smartone-Vodafone
    Feedback Score

450d vs 500d is the 160+usd price difference worth the newer sensor?

Hey guys, I'm on a really tight budget so i'm trying to find out as much as i can before i make my decision. I know the newer sensor on the 500d isn't that much faster but what caught my attention is the higher ISO sensitivity of the Digic 4 processor which will result in better overall indoor shots and shots in low lighting conditions.
    I hate Nokia.

Feedback Score
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s450d&show=all

Both are great cameras, but you also get the addition of HD video with the T1i/500D. If you don't care about video, get the 450D and spend the extra cash on a 50mm 1.8 lens.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Feedback Score
    What kind of experience do you have with DSLRs. What have you shot with before?
    From what I've read, there is not uch of a jump in image quality from the XTi, which I have, to the T1i, much less between the XSi and the T1i. I have ISO 3200 on my XTi and yes, you will get the shot, but it'll be a crappy shot. Much over 800 ISO on these bodies and the picture quality goes down hill fast.

I would get a Xsi and then a the 50MM 1.8 with the difference. At 1.8 and ISO 800, your picture quality from the XSi will best the T1i's output with the kit lens and iso 3200 or above. The glass makes the difference between these bodies.
    If I had to have video, then...

I shoot weddings with my XTi and a 24-70 2.8, and even at ISO 800 if I slightly over expose, the pictures come out great and sharp, or as sharp as you can get from a Rebel before processing. Its all about the lens, the 50 is not in the 24-70 league, but for $80 vs $1300, it shouldn't be. The 50 should be the first updrade for a Rebel owner. The kit lens is not very good, but it does go wide

Feedback Score
    Get the 50D over the XSi. $160 difference isn't much for a faster processor, weather sealed body and more FPS.

I own a 50D and a T1i (I only use as a backup). The 50D is a much better camera and the solid feel of a larger camera IMO helps while shooting.

If you're shooting low light, the 50D is better at handling noise. In general with any camera, I would never go past ISO 1600. Pick up a fast lens (f2.8) down the road and you'll be fine. If you're on a tight budget, I would highly recommend the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. It's a wonderful lens and rivals the image quality of the more expensive Canon 24-70mm L f2.8. You can pick on up secondhand for about $290-340.

Device(s)
    Snap!!!
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyudo View Post
    Get the 50D over the XSi. $160 difference isn't much for a faster processor, weather sealed body and more FPS.

I own a 50D and a T1i (I only use as a backup). The 50D is a much better camera and the solid feel of a larger camera IMO helps while shooting.

If you're shooting low light, the 50D is better at handling noise. In general with any camera, I would never go past ISO 1600. Pick up a fast lens (f2.8) down the road and you'll be fine. If you're on a tight budget, I would highly recommend the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. It's a wonderful lens and rivals the image quality of the more expensive Canon 24-70mm L f2.8. You can pick on up secondhand for about $290-340.

You should try the 7D Here's a shot that I took at ISO 1600 (this is a link to the original 18mp file). Mind you, it was exposed to the right, but I'd still not hesitate to use my 7D at 3200. 6400 isn't bad if exposed properly but when it's THAT dark I usually have my speedlites out.

Here's a ISO 6400 shot from my 7D, with the original here. Usable in small prints and web shots. Here's a quick test photo I did with ISO 6400 and made sure to expose it properly. It's a straight OOC jpg. That last one's a full sized photo, fair warning. Don't get me wrong, there's a fair amount of noise in there, but it's pretty finely grained and doesn't look too bad IMO in the end result. I'd have no qualms printing a properly exposed ISO 6400 shot from my 7D at like 8x10. Actually, I think I'll do that just to see how it turns out lol
    Last edited by Nicholas; 07-12-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGeek
    You will never find a more wretched hive of bad spelling and stupidity.
    Come to The Far Side. We have cookies

Feedback Score
    I would get a Xsi and then a the 50MM 1.8 with the difference. I think it is smarter. Don't be like my grandma!