Thread: Rumor Touch Voice Command

Feedback Score

Rumor Touch Voice Command

A topic I've not seen is a review of the voice command features of the Rumor Touch, so I'll cover a few points here.

The Voice command is hidden away under Main Menu > Tools > Voice Service. There are four options here:
    • Voice Command
    • Voice Reader
    • Voice Memo
    • Settings+Info

The first thing you will want to do is go into Settings + Info and set the Set Speaker value to On. The Help for the system is also located here.

Voice Memo is what you'd expect, you can use it to record voice memos that you can then play back later.

Voice Command is what you're probably most interested in. Select this item and the phone will ask you to say a command. It will take numbers, or names out of your contact list. I suggest customizing the Home menu and adding the "Voice Command" item so it is only one click away - too bad it is not automatically assigned to one of the physical buttons.

Voice Reader is one of the more unique features. This basically makes the phone sort of psuedo vision handicap enabled - sort of. When turned on, it will actually speak the text that appears in the phone's menu system as you navigate it. Kind of neat to play with, but gets old very soon. Under Voice Reader > Voice Guide you can specify Alert or Reader. Reader is what I just described. Now Alert is pretty cool. when a new SMS comes in, it will actually read it to you instead of just buzzing and beeping. It does a pretty good job, and it's funny to hear it pronounce crude language. The downside is that everyone around you can hear it to, but pressing any button on the device will silence it.

Check it out!

Feedback Score
    On my Touch, I just press and hold the lower right button on the outside of the phone (the icon that looks like a handset) and it activates the voice menu.
    Likewise, when I press the button on my bluetooth earpiece, it also activates the voice command

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the guide. I tried recording some test voice memos and when I hit stop, it says it has been saved. However, my Voice Memo still says "No voice memo." I've tried it a few times and still nothing shows up. Does it save it to a different location? Or is there just something wrong with my phone? =\

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, scratch that. I just did one of those power flush things that Virgin always tells people to do and my memos show up now. =)

Phone
    HTC Evo V 4G
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kawac14 View Post
    On my Touch, I just press and hold the lower right button on the outside of the phone (the icon that looks like a handset) and it activates the voice menu.
    Likewise, when I press the button on my bluetooth earpiece, it also activates the voice command
    Ah ha! I couldn't figure how my voice menu kept getting activated while I had the phone in my pocket. I must be forgetting to put my phone to sleep sometimes before I put in my pocket and that button is getting pushed down.

Thanks for the info!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I got sick of it starting voice command while it was in my pocket. I turned that bit off. ..but I L-O-V-E the bit where it reads your text messages to you out loud over the bluetooth headset. LOVE!! Now I don't have to stop and pull my phone out of my pocket 30 times a day because some girl is texting me because she's bored. ^^