Thread: Tethering to Windows/Mac with BlackBerry, keep getting "Subscription Upsell Required"

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8520, Unlocked HipTop Slide
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tethering to Windows/Mac with BlackBerry, keep getting "Subscription Upsell Required"

I have a pretty special case here. I am trying to tether my 8520 on a UMA connection because my wireless card is messed up. I cannot connect to ethernet, and my phone does not have T-Mobile coverage other than through UMA. I could not get it to work on the Mac partition of my computer, so I got it to connect through Desktop Manager's IP Modem function on Windows.

So it connects, via UMA, but when I try to load a page it keeps bringing up the web2go homepage, and it has a message "Subscription Upsell Required," as if I didn't have a data plan. I do have a data plan, and I can surf the internet, send BBMs, etc. on my phone fine, its just when I tether it. I have searched CrackBerry and HowardForums but have not found an answer. I have read mixed reports about tethering working over UMA, but it obviously connects, it just doesn't load any pages.

I have an EvenMore Plus plan with BIS on FlexPay, but I don't know if that matters.

Can anybody tell me if they've ever tethered successfully over UMA, with mobile network turned off to make sure that it wasn't over EDGE?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Have you tried a USB WiFi dongle to make things work instead? It'll be a lot faster than what you're proposing.

Feedback Score
    I'm typing this message on my Mac that's connected to my 9700 that is in UMA only mode (3g/EDGE connection is turned off). It works. I don't know what to say about the subscription upsell required message you're getting.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8520, Unlocked HipTop Slide
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your replies. I got it to work by calling T-Mobile and making sure that I had unlimited data. I only had BIS, not unlimited data, which is weird. I only got it to work on my Windows partition through Desktop Manager, not on the OSX partition. Peetah, would you mind sharing the settings you are using for your 9700 on OSX?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    See the sticky