Thread: external antenna for Telus Huawei e182e stick?

Phone
    HTC Raider LTE
    Carriers
    Bell
    CLEAR
    Feedback Score

external antenna for Telus Huawei e182e stick?

have any of you tried it? did it help increase the bars and therefore signal reliability?

any idea where one could buy an antenna off the shelf in Alberta? I searched bestbuy site but couldn't find anything

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    What kind of connector is on that device?

It's probably the same connector as other devices by Huawei or other manufacturers so if you know what is compatible you may be able to find someone with the right adapter even if it's labelled for another brand of card.

For example the recent Sierra Wireless modems (Compass 597, 598, and 306) use the TS-9 connector made by SMK.
    http://www.smkusa.com/usa/featured_products/rfcoax/

SMK is a popular manufacturer of the miniature RF coaxial connectors that modem manufacturers would use on their boards.

I believe the connector that Huawei uses includes a switch function. That means you must find a perfect fit otherwise the switch will not activate and even though you have it all plugged in the modem will still be using the internal antenna. If you get a cable you will want to test it out by isolating the modem from the antenna. Maybe by putting the antenna inside a can or closed microwave with the antenna outside of the shielding. If the signal doesn't drop when you close the microwave door for example then the external antenna is working. If the signal drops out with the door closed then your adapter failed to close the switch and the internal antenna is still active.

For off the shelf purchase you may have trouble. A dealer specializing in data products that is a qualified installer for Wilson amplifiers would be your best bet. Your not going to find these at a mall kiosk that's for sure.

If you look for "Huawei antenna adapter" on ebay you will find several cables that may be compatible with your modem. You will need to compare any spec sheets you can find from Huawei to find out if the connectors on the models being sold (primarily for units that USA carriers are selling) are compatible with the E182e stick.

eg:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390078393333
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Phone
    HTC Raider LTE
    Carriers
    Bell
    CLEAR
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the detailed answer Queball

I have noticed my huawei stick runs very hot too, I'm thinking of maybe going another route and getting a whole different type of stick

this one is strange, I wonder sometimes if it is a network issue with telus, because it will show 19% signal strength often and then it will show higher without even moving it, and the web page loading reliability is often hit and miss