Thread: Data service with Samsung T401G on Net10

Feedback Score

Data service with Samsung T401G on Net10

My T401g only allows web browsing or MMS messaging when it's around the zip code I activated it with, when the phone displays "Home." When it says "Roam" I get a "Check Data Restrictions - 36" error when I try to open the browser or send an MMS. I have an old LG CG-225 on Tracfone with an AT&T SIM (same as the T401G) and the data service on it works fine outside of the zip code I activated it with. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and been able to solve it, before I waste too much more time on the phone with customer service, or if it's a limitation of the T401G or Net10's service I have to live with?

Feedback Score
    If it's roaming on a partner that Net10 doesn't have a data contract with, you will have that problem. If you take both phones to the same roaming area at the same time, what happens? Maybe one phone can still lock onto AT&T and the other cannot. TF/Net10 is very stingy about data. That's why everyone wants an AT&T SIM, which is more reliable than T-Mo when dealing with the TF/Net10 system.

Feedback Score
    Well, the LG CG-225 Tracfone doesn't indicate roaming no matter where I take it. I have full bars with data service from my house though, which is in a different area code than the phone, so I figure the Net10 T-401G should work the same from my house because it uses the same AT&T network. No such luck.

Feedback Score
    I don't mean to doubt you, but are you sure they are both AT&T? You can make sure on wirelessamberalerts.org.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I checked the SIM number and e-mailed myself via text message to confirm it was AT&T.

Feedback Score
    According to the AT&T coverage map, I'm in a "Partner EDGE" area, and "Excessive use of Partner service may result in the loss of coverage in Partner areas as provided in your service terms." I wonder if my phone number got banned from using data on AT&T partner networks before I acquired it.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedo84 View Post
    According to the AT&T coverage map, I'm in a "Partner EDGE" area, and "Excessive use of Partner service may result in the loss of coverage in Partner areas as provided in your service terms." I wonder if my phone number got banned from using data on AT&T partner networks before I acquired it.

"Partner EDGE" means you are roaming and Tracfone does not allow data while roaming. Sorry. The terms you quoted are for service with AT&T direct only, you can roam with Tracfone to your heart's content and not have a problem, except with data. Some phones do not tell you when you are roaming as there is no extra charge for it anymore (except on a really old Tracfone, my father's from 2004 still charges double for roaming, but you have a new phone so it isn't a consideration for you).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127 View Post
    "Partner EDGE" means you are roaming and Tracfone does not allow data while roaming. Sorry.
    Then why does my LG CG-225 Tracfone get data access? Is it just because the phone itself can't tell the difference between "roaming" and "home?"

Feedback Score
    I have the same problem with a new LG900G. Net10 doesn't tell you specifically that you can't use data while roaming anywhere on the box or in their literature. They just say "some" features may be disabled or unavailable. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have wasted the money on a "feature" phone that is a dumb phone when I venture from my local area.