Thread: Does AT&T let you get rid of your contracted $25 data plan if you buy a dumbphone?

Phone
    Motorola Cliq
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Does AT&T let you get rid of your contracted $25 data plan if you buy a dumbphone?

For example, I want to buy an iPhone 4, but don't want to purchase a data plan (wi-fi is sufficient for me).

If i were to buy a iPhone 4 on contract, then wait a month... then sign a new contract and buy a dumbphone that doesn't need a data plan, would that take away the required data plan i got from the iPhone 4? I did that with T-mo and they let me but I dunno if AT&T would.

Anyone know?

Phones
    nexus one
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The second you stop using the iphone you can get rid of the data plan. You don't even have to buy another phone. Just take the sim card out of the iphone and put it into a dumbphone you borrow from a friend or something. If you put your sim card back into the iphone, though, they'll automatically add the data plan back. You used to be able to hack iphones to appear as dumbphones by changing the imei # (illegal in Europe, but not here in the united states) but I don't think you can do that on the iphone 4 yet.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by threetee14 View Post
    For example, I want to buy an iPhone 4, but don't want to purchase a data plan (wi-fi is sufficient for me).

If i were to buy a iPhone 4 on contract, then wait a month... then sign a new contract and buy a dumbphone that doesn't need a data plan, would that take away the required data plan i got from the iPhone 4? I did that with T-mo and they let me but I dunno if AT&T would.

Anyone know?
    Use of the data plan with the iPhone is a not part of a contract. It is a condition for using the iPhone on the AT&T network regardless of any contract status. Signing a new contract would mean you have two contracts. It would not terminate the old contract. You would have to pay $325 to cancel the original contract, which is for voice service and not for use of a particular phone. As long as you use an iPhone, you have to maintain the correct data plan of either the DataPlus ($15.00) or the DataPro ($25.00) Data Plans for iPhones.
    Earl F. Parrish