Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Handset - Huawei U8100

Feedback Score

Upcoming Handset - Huawei U8100

Hi Everyone,

I think the title should say it all, but I'm sure there will be more questions if I just leave it at that. Here are the details I have:

Phone: Huawei U8100
    Expected Launch Date: Last week of July
    Price: Undetermined

Currently this phone is going through the QA process, so if issues come up it might be delayed past the expected launch date.

Also, it seems everyone is wondering what handsets are coming next. Here's a quick summary of what's to come:

In July - Apart from the U8100, a refurbished version of the BB 9700 and the Nokia 5230 will be available. I haven't seen many details on this, so I am not certain if they will be sold directly to the public, or used for something else.

In August - BB 9100 will be released. From what I have heard, RIM has had software/firmware issues, and so they have delayed the launch of this one until they correct those. This is currently expected to be ready instead close to the end of August.

In September - Motorola phone. No details on this at all other than it's not expected until September.

If you are holding out for a phone, those are what are currently planned for the next couple months. Schedules often get pushed back, almost never forwards, so I do not anticipate any other handsets than these ones for the above time frame.

I'd like to just end this post here and have it only be about handsets, but I just wanted to quickly note that the new back to school promotions will be starting at the end of July. If you don't like the ones that are currently available you might want to wait (you can't sign up for both). There will be a bit of a dead period in the middle of July, so get in on the existing promotions if you don't want to wait a month for the new ones.
    The Windsider

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Windsider you are awesome... Thanks for the updated info! This should at least put some of the speculation to rest

But I have to say, I am disappointed by the Huawei U8100. To me, a 2.8" QVGA touchscreen phone is just useless... I don't know who would be able to type on such a small screen. It bothers me that they picked the U8100 when they could have instead picked the U8800, which will have a 3.8" screen: http://www.huawei.com/news/view.do?id=11162&cid=42

It's too bad that they aren't getting the Nokia E73, that would have been much better than the U8100 imo...

I guess I will hold out for the Motorola phone in September, in the hopes that it is the Milestone XT720. But if it just turns out to be a crappy Cliq or Cliq XT I will be very upset...

Feedback Score
    <sigh> another Huawei, great...

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here is an Engadget leak for the Huawei, for those who are interested:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/h...ina-coming-in/

Phone
    Motokrzr K1m
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Windsider, Can u tell us the price of the bb9100 or a price range??

Phones
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Winsider for the info. The Huawei is pretty disappointing for Wind's first Android phone. I was expecting a phone like the Samsung S or the Moto Cliq.
    Last edited by Gordon Gartrell; 06-29-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Wow, glad I didn't hold out for a good android phone on Wind. Good thing I decided to stick with fido for 1 more year until my contract runs out, and by that time hopefully Wind will have a higher end android phone (or even a low end one that is terrible like that 2.8" huawei POS).

Phone
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    People should have known that if you pester enough for an android phone you will get one. Just an android phone that runs on Huawei Technology. I however think huawei will eventually be a good brand just give them time.

Feedback Score
    ... that's pretty damn embarrassing lol

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update! I hoped for something Motorola.

Feedback Score
    I don't see anything wrong with this phone, considering that their existing Huawei phone is pretty rock solid. It even tethers more easily than my Nokia. LED flash, Froyo, what's not to like?

The only thing I'm worried about is the processor and RAM.

Phones
    HTC Desire
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wind needs a major flagship phone to attract new customers. The Huawei might be a nice phone, but it's not gonna have people running to pick up a Wind phone.

Phones
    HTC Desire/iPhone4
    Nokia5230/Samsung Vibrant
    NexusOne/Nokia N900
    Carrier
    Wind/Rogers/Fido
    Feedback Score
    If the link below is correct it looks like it will have a 528mhz process with 256mb of ram. The only difference is the addition of the AWS band. This is okay for a lower end android device which is probably what Wind is shooting for. Hopefully the quality is decent and Wind does their due diligence in the QA testing. At least this will give Wind time to strengthen the network before bringing higher end Android devices. The downside is they have no device to compete with the Big3 iPhone launch.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...c=huawei_u8100

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000impreza View Post
    If the link below is correct it looks like it will have a 528mhz process with 256mb of ram. The only difference is the addition of the AWS band. This is okay for a lower end android device which is probably what Wind is shooting for. Hopefully the quality is decent and Wind does their due diligence in the QA testing. At least this will give Wind time to strengthen the network before bringing higher end Android devices. The downside is they have no device to compete with the Big3 iPhone launch.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i...c=huawei_u8100
    In other words, almost like the HTC Magic.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gartrell View Post
    Wind needs a major flagship phone to attract new customers. The Huawei might be a nice phone, but it's not gonna have people running to pick up a Wind phone.
    No, Wind needs another $200 phone to attract customers - where this is likely to be priced at. Most people don't care about flagship phones or their $500+ price tags.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast