Thread: Advice/help needed for Tracfone Motorola V170 problem: it became roadkill

Feedback Score

Advice/help needed for Tracfone Motorola V170 problem: it became roadkill

My mother dropped and then drove over her Motorola V170 Tracfone. It turns on, but the screen is cracked and is not showing any readable image. The service was due to run out in the next 10 days or so, but she had over 400 minutes left. [It also had DMFL installed].

Is there a way to find out how many minutes were left on that phone?

I'm hoping to be able to save them & roll them over to a new phone. Is that possible? If it helps, I have another [unused/new] V170 Tracfone hanging around. Or I can get her a new phone with DMFL already included.

Thank you for any help

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlepond View Post
    My mother dropped and then drove over her Motorola V170 Tracfone. It turns on, but the screen is cracked and is not showing any readable image. The service was due to run out in the next 10 days or so, but she had over 400 minutes left. [It also had DMFL installed].

Is there a way to find out how many minutes were left on that phone?

I'm hoping to be able to save them & roll them over to a new phone. Is that possible? If it helps, I have another [unused/new] V170 Tracfone hanging around. Or I can get her a new phone with DMFL already included.
    Thank you for any help
    If you call CS they can check with the phones service provider to see how many minutes were used and thus tell what remains. It takes a little time for them to do this. You will not be able to transfer the DMFL, but it wouldn`t hurt to ask if the phone is fairly new. When the service runs out you will have an additional 60 days before you loose the remaining minutes, but the phone number could go at any time. If the other V170 was ever used it will require another SIM from Tracfone (i believe the V170 is a GSM model ?). If the other 170 is not DMFL (or they won`t transfer) don`t bother activating it, just buy a bundled phone with DMFL and a 60M card, like the Moto 376. You will get it all for less than the price of the card.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Is your Mom's phone on your account?? One of the options when activating a phone is to activate it from an already active Tracfone. (the broken one).

If the broken one is on an account you just log into your account and choose that phone. If not, you probably need to give the serial no. and/or phone number of the broken phone.

If you transfer to a new phone you will get the 20 minutes from activating on-line. If you transfer to a used phone you will need a card to add minutes. (I think the V170 was CDMA-if so, no new sim needed). After giving info about both old and new phones, the website will tell you how many minutes and days will be transferred.

If you agree with these amounts, just keep going; if it is way off you will have to call them. The DMFL will not transfer as it stays with the original phone. If you buy a new phone with DMFL you can transfer to it and won't need a minutes card. (cause you will get 20 minutes/60 days for activation).

Hope this helps.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Just checked Tracfone site, the V170 is a GSM (SIM card) phone.