Thread: AtnT GPS with a TRUCK ROUTE

Feedback Score

AtnT GPS with a TRUCK ROUTE

I tried telenav for the blackberry and noticed it did NOT have a way to set the GPS for truck route.

This is no good as I drive a truck and need a GPS that has a truck route, like verizons VZ nav, it lets you choose the route.

Does ATnT offer a GPS that has a truck route option

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You should get a stand alone GPS device. It will route you from your current location to your destination. It will dynamically readjust the route if you deviate from the original route.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    does ATnT have a truck route option? I understand a standalone GPS has this, but does ATnT offer a truck route option app? It seems as if someone wants a phone GPS app, verizon V Z nav is the only true phone GPS?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Remember that At&t doesn't design or maintain the Telenav application, the product is from a third party and merely offered under the At&t brand name. OP, your best bet would be to ask the manufacturer of the product directly. Just do a google search for Telenav. They may be able to provide you a more enhanced version.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Motorola Q9 Global (retired after three years)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    im sure that blackberry has an navigation app for trucks. That app might even have haz mat routes listed to.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Remember that At&t doesn't design or maintain the Telenav application, the product is from a third party and merely offered under the At&t brand name. OP, your best bet would be to ask the manufacturer of the product directly. Just do a google search for Telenav. They may be able to provide you a more enhanced version.
    Yes, but the average consumer should not need to understand this. AT&T had the software branded as their own (and I believe some features in TeleNav are not in AT&T) and also handles the customer service. For all intents and purposes it *IS* an AT&T product.

I use Garmin Mobile XT which is an approx $100 standalone application that does not use data, and it does not have a truck route option I have seen.
    More Bars in More Places.

Feedback Score
    Right now your best option is CoPilot Truck 7 for Windows Mobile phones if you want to use a cell phone. Version 8 was due out in May but it's not out yet for the iPhone/BB/Android platforms - ALK was probably waiting for the iOS 4/BBOS 6/Android 2.2 updates to come out first.

http://www.alk.eu.com/pro/truck/ - Sometime this summer...

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    I just looked at my Garmin XT 5 and it offers these options:

Car/motorrad
    Truck
    Bus
    Emergency
    Taxi
    Delivery
    Bicycle
    Pedestrian

Not sure how effective they are.... if you are a long haul truck driver for a living probably better to buy the right tool than to drive through the wrong roads.

Feedback Score
    Not to be a putz, the XT is missing several key items the OP is probably looking for. The only Garmin standalone unit is the relatively new nuvi 465T, which has an integrated NTTS Breakdown Directory, load/truck-specific routing, and trucking industry-specific POIs. The 465T is a bit on the small side and a bit on the slow side, but it also has free lifetime traffic and a better GPS chip than most cell phones - the 465T is quite a bit bigger than any cell phone, but it's just one more thing to lug around and maybe grow feet and "walk away" when you're not looking. Garmin also has PC and Mac software for pre-planning routes.

Happy 4th - have a blast!

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    The company which wrote VZ Navigator is Networks In Motion, and the app is AtlasBook Navigator. It does not appear to be available for sale directly to the end user. But the same company (now bought out) has a link to "Gokivo" from their home page. There is a Blackberry version:
    http://www.gokivo.com/blackberry/iwantit.html

It says there's a 14-day trial on Blackberry App World and then it's $5/month. And I quote:
    Q: What are the different vehicle types that are support by Gokivo Navigator?

A: The different vehicle types that are supported are Car/Motorcycle, Truck, Bicycle, and Pedestrian. To change vehicle types on the main Gokivo Navigator screen, select Menu 'BlackBerry Key' and then Preferences. Select 'Navigation'. Then select 'Trip Settings', then 'Vehicle Type'. Use the Track Ball to select vehicle type and press 'OK' to save the setting.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megahertz-prime View Post
    does ATnT have a truck route option? I understand a standalone GPS has this, but does ATnT offer a truck route option app? It seems as if someone wants a phone GPS app, verizon V Z nav is the only true phone GPS?
    Thats an odd thing to say, they all have mapping applications, but I think you don't understand what you said.

GPS is a system of satellites that could never fit in any phone. Yes, phones have GPS chips, and they now have LBS(location-based service) applications, but I think you'll find Truck routing applications radically different from the T in PND's and phones. They are a simple worthless POS IMO! Garmin comes close, but the ones sold to the public lack a lot of features needed by real Trucking and Logistics companies. Dispatch GPRS and presence are just a couple.

If all you are looking for is what roads you can't drive on because you're over weight etc Garmin has a few that are what you're looking for. They are faster to acquire and don't depend on a carrier signal. Also being behind a phone 8-12 hours a day isn't pleasant, the Garmin that a lot of short-haul drivers use has a 5 inch screen.

If you do drive for a living start with the Garmin, you'll thank me!

Btw, Garmin now has/shows speed traps and red light cameras, so it will pay for itself in a year or so.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Also being behind a phone 8-12 hours a day isn't pleasant, the Garmin that a lot of short-haul drivers use has a 5 inch screen.
    *shrug*. I recommend getting a actual navigator as well, but I have used VZNavigator and it's not a problem. The phone speaks, you're not supposed to even be looking at the screen while you are driving anyway.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    *shrug*. I recommend getting a actual navigator as well, but I have used VZNavigator and it's not a problem. The phone speaks, you're not supposed to even be looking at the screen while you are driving anyway.
    I know what you're saying, believe me! But you really need to take one for a spin...you'll never go back.

What you may be overlooking is the whole input thing though. I, and my drivers, all have both, one as a backup. But I can enter a designation on a 4 inch screen in 30 seconds flat! Try that with a phone. I can logically save common destinations for quick entry too. I also pre-load common p/u locations for new Garmin users using the PC app, and the list goes on.

The funny thing is for what they cost you would be surprised how many people don't have them, don't know what they are, and don't know how to use them. If I see a driver that takes longer than a minute to find a place I know I'm in for a dispatch headache.