Thread: Straight Talk service availability/coverage Qs

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk service availability/coverage Qs

I'm doing a little pre-purchase scouting for a friend who wants to get away from VZW, and I've been checking out ST and PPC.

I went to the ST site and typed in my zip code, and it tells me they don't offer coverage for my area, when I know without question VZW is solid here. What gives? Even in a nearby town with a WalMart that sells ST, when I input their zip, it says no service offered. Anybody else get this? Just a quirk, or consistently screwy?

There's no other ST "map" for coverage area, is there? I've already checked out the VZW Prepaid map, which indicates the area is good.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Phone
    Nokia 520
    Carriers
    At&t GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Well I have an interesting tidbit to add here. It looks like Straighttalk is going to start selling GSM phones, thats right GSM phones....Well they are already selling them actually. I have an LG 620G that I just bought today at walmart. I have one of the cheap 39.99 LG flip phones and am in the process of getting my service switched to the new LG. They have to treat it like a true number port because the LG 620G will be AT&T based while most straighttalk phones are Verizon based. That could be why the Straighttalk coverage map on www.straighttalk.com/coverage is different than it used to be, especiall in my home state of Kentucky. South central KY on the map shows coverage while actually Verizon has no naitive service in South Central KY. ATT does have coverage in about all of KY like the map shows so something is in the works. The plans are the same too.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flrjr42501 View Post
    Well I have an interesting tidbit to add here. It looks like Straighttalk is going to start selling GSM phones, thats right GSM phones....Well they are already selling them actually. I have an LG 620G that I just bought today at walmart. I have one of the cheap 39.99 LG flip phones and am in the process of getting my service switched to the new LG. They have to treat it like a true number port because the LG 620G will be AT&T based while most straighttalk phones are Verizon based. That could be why the Straighttalk coverage map on www.straighttalk.com/coverage is different than it used to be, especiall in my home state of Kentucky. South central KY on the map shows coverage while actually Verizon has no naitive service in South Central KY. ATT does have coverage in about all of KY like the map shows so something is in the works. The plans are the same too.
    You should start a new thread with this information.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    @flrjr: I just checked Wally Mart's web site and Straight Talk's web site.
    On ST's site I used zip code 42501 (Somerset, KY). No Straight Talk GSM phones are listed on either.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Indabaux View Post
    @flrjr: I just checked Wally Mart's web site and Straight Talk's web site.
    On ST's site I used zip code 42501 (Somerset, KY). No Straight Talk GSM phones are listed on either.
    Maybe he's thinking Net 10 Unlimited.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    He must be. Net 10 or someone. I just don't see ST going off on such a tangent like that.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    All very entertaining, nonetheless!

Phone
    Nokia 520
    Carriers
    At&t GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Nope I have straighttalk. It came in a green box and everything. I just used an unlimited card to refill my account because I was running low on data and text on my 30.00card. The phone port went through this morning without a hitch. I now am using a straighttalk phone on AT&T with unlimited everything for 45.00 a month. I know on the website that my phone doesn't show up. It doesn't even show up on Walmarts website. I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. I would post a few of the box and phone.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flrjr42501 View Post
    Nope I have straighttalk. It came in a green box and everything. I just used an unlimited card to refill my account because I was running low on data and text on my 30.00card. The phone port went through this morning without a hitch. I now am using a straighttalk phone on AT&T with unlimited everything for 45.00 a month. I know on the website that my phone doesn't show up. It doesn't even show up on Walmarts website. I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. I would post a few of the box and phone.
    Yes. I'd be interested in seeing those. Why Net 10 Unlimited AND ST on GSM? Hmm TF is a strange company.

Phone
    Nokia 520
    Carriers
    At&t GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    And another cool thing about this new phone is that it will download free java apps and games. I am posting this with Bolt Browser.

Carriers
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Indabaux View Post
    That map is incorrect (for the typical CDMA ones anyway). There's a large area of Northern Wisconsin which is not covered by Straight Talk, as they don't get Verizon's roaming agreements. I'm not sure how widespread the GSM Straight Talk phones are (if they do exist), but for a good idea of the CDMA coverage, look at a Verizon map and consider the roaming areas as non-coverage.

Actually, I'd go ahead and take any coverage map produced by Tracfone with a grain of salt. They have a habit of combining GSM and CDMA coverage maps without telling anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I'm doing a little pre-purchase scouting for a friend who wants to get away from VZW, and I've been checking out ST and PPC.

I went to the ST site and typed in my zip code, and it tells me they don't offer coverage for my area, when I know without question VZW is solid here. What gives? Even in a nearby town with a WalMart that sells ST, when I input their zip, it says no service offered. Anybody else get this? Just a quirk, or consistently screwy?

There's no other ST "map" for coverage area, is there? I've already checked out the VZW Prepaid map, which indicates the area is good.
    Straight Talk's website has been odd about that for a while now. It shows our area as not having coverage, when we not only do but our Walmart carries the phones. They were telling customers that areas had no coverage, but those who had Straight Talk phones had no issues with coverage.

Our Walmart got ST phones, then stopped carrying them for a while, then started again.

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    New info in the Terms and Conditions referencing the GSM phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Talk Terms
    ....11. ROAMING. “Roaming” occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the network facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming usually occurs when a subscriber places or receives a call while outside of the network coverage area of their wireless service provider.

Service on the CDMA Network. If your Straight Talk service is on the CDMA network, your Straight Talk phone will not roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk CDMA network coverage area.

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Internet access and Data Services, however, will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use.....
    and here's a link to a page on ST's site with an image of the LG 620G:
    http://www.straighttalk.com/controll...ctions.landing

Bottom row, center.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    Wow! So they are actually offering GSM phones/service. The rumor is confirmed now.
    Last edited by Jack_Indabaux; 07-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Carriers
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So does this mean that AT&T will allow other mvnos to have data access now?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast