Thread: Losing My Phone Number

Feedback Score

Losing My Phone Number

Will I lose my phone number if I run out of minutes? What if I still have text/data usage left? Or is the "End of Service" date the be all and end all number? If that slips up on me is my number gone for good? I was thinking that some prepaid service providers give you 2 months to re-activate with the same number. I don't plan on letting this happen, but knowing myself like I know myself...

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Talk Terms and Conditions
    ...'If you do not refill your Straight Talk account by your Service End Date, your Straight Talk phone number may be lost.'
    They used to say you had 30 days after the service end date, but that recently has been changed on the ST website.

Feedback Score
    Well, 30 days I can live with. 0 days I cannot. Do they send any kind of warning when your Service End Date is imminent?

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    Both of you should read thread#1656259. There is still a 30-day grace period. Follow the link by jweav at the end.

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Indabaux View Post
    Both of you should read thread#1656259. There is still a 30-day grace period. Follow the link by jweav at the end.
    OK. I see the line that says '...within 30 days...' Maybe so, maybe not. Knowing the way Straight Talk operates, it could be that they forgot to change the FAQ when they changed the Terms and Conditions. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way and risk losing my number.

Feedback Score
    Interesting thread but no real guarantees anywhere. Of course I'm not going to be carrying around a dead phone for long. What if someone trys to call right after the phone is deactivated, does it still go to voicemail?

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    I can now verify that, for at least one full day, you don't lose your number and can just pick back up where you left off once a PIN is added. I missed my re-up date and didn't realize it. I was thinking it was the 3rd and it was actually the 2nd. I added a PIN a day late and the only thing that had changed was that I lost my rollover (which I was never actually gonna end up using anyway, and don't really give a shiv about).

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmessick View Post
    Interesting thread but no real guarantees anywhere. Of course I'm not going to be carrying around a dead phone for long. What if someone trys to call right after the phone is deactivated, does it still go to voicemail?
    You need to read the Terms and Conditions to understand all the ways you can get in trouble. Here is what pertains to your current questions:

Refilling Your Account after Service End Date: If you do not buy and add Services prior to the Service End Date, your Straight Talk Service will be deactivated on the Service End Date, you will lose all unused Services (including minutes, text and/or multimedia messages, megabytes of data usage and Service days) and you may lose your telephone number. If your Straight Talk phone is deactivated for failure to add Services before the Service End Date, there is no refund for any unused minutes, text and/or multimedia messages, megabytes of data usage, and Service days that may have remained in the account prior to the Service End Date.

Your service terminates when the 30 days runs out. If you run out of the 1000 minutes you will then be unable to call or answer. When someone calls and you have no minutes it will go to VM. But no service days = no service = no VM. Your phone number remains until it is reclaimed to give to someone else (there is no way of knowing when it will be needed).

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    What if someone trys to call right after the phone is deactivated, does it still go to voicemail?
    They get a recording stating that the person they're calling isn't available/temporarily unavailable. They do not get your voicemail.
    Interestingly enough though, they can send you a text message. That's how I came to realize my service had lapsed. I got a txt from a friend telling me that they had tried calling, got the recording, and that I needed to "pay my phone bill". That message they sent was immediately followed by a system message from ST saying I needed to re-up.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Just got off the phone recently w st.
    My phone was overdue for one day and they had the phone number back in rotation.

Feedback Score
    Well, 30 days I can live with. 0 days I cannot. Do they send any kind of warning when your Service End Date is imminent?
    Well if you can't "live" with a stated policy, take your business elsewhere.

Or are you saying you live your life not following the rules and expect them not to be enforced-- so there are no consequences to your actions?

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post

Or are you saying you live your life not following the rules and expect them not to be enforced-- so there are no consequences to your actions?
    The problem isn't 'Living with a stated Policy' The problem is changes to said Policy, and inconsistent information. The FAQ says one thing and the Terms and Conditions say another, regarding the 30 days.

Phones
    Samsung R451C
    LG vx9800 The V
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    maybe someone should call customer service lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post

Just saying I think a grace period is good business.