Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Sprints coverage as good as Verizon's indoors?

Phone
    Iphone 5s 64gb
    Carrier
    Verizon/Testing AT&T for possible switch
    Feedback Score

Is Sprints coverage as good as Verizon's indoors?

I am an AT&T customer and there signal inside buildings is pretty subpar for the most part, other than that there signal is great. I have had AT&T for about 7yrs now and have had an iphone for almost 4yrs now, I am getting tired of the iphone UI and just got back from checking out the latest verizon and sprint phones, the Evo by far was the best and is very very close to getting me to switch.

Verizon always gets really good signal inside my work building just from seeing people using them all the time, Since sprint is CDMA will it be the same? CDMA in general penetrates buildings better than GSM correct?

Phone
    Nexus5
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    It's not about CDMA or GSM... it's about the frequency. Sprint uses 1900mhz everywhere. For the most part Verizon does too in most areas. I know in my area AT&T uses the 850 or 800, forgot what they call it these days. You are just going to have to check things out as things vary so much by the area. In my area, largest coverage and better inside signal goes to AT&T here, then VZW, then Sprint, yours could be different. Jump on the 30 day trial and check it out, if it doesn't pan out for you within the time then bring the phone back, if it does then port the number.

Phone
    Iphone 5s 64gb
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    It's not about CDMA or GSM... it's about the frequency. Sprint uses 1900mhz everywhere. For the most part Verizon does too in most areas. I know in my area AT&T uses the 850 or 800, forgot what they call it these days. You are just going to have to check things out as things vary so much by the area. In my area, largest coverage and better inside signal goes to AT&T here, then VZW, then Sprint, yours could be different. Jump on the 30 day trial and check it out, if it doesn't pan out for you within the time then bring the phone back, if it does then port the number.
    lol your sig does not impress me with sprint

Feedback Score
    Sprint's coverage in Digiblur's market (and mine) is below average for sprint.

If you're complaining about ATT's indoor penetration where you are, its likely that they're limited to 1900mhz coverage where you live. Its not that the PCS band isn't more than competent for coverage, it just has to be more densely deployed or configured/manipulated in some places with the intent of providing indoor coverage.

Don't let that turn you off from Sprint though. Also, keep in mind that you will have free roaming (onto verizon mostly likely where you are) when Sprint's signal fails you. Unless your'e planning on streaming data all day long while at work (you'll likely be limited to 1X while roaming) , you will still have voice access.

I think Sprint's price points make it worthy of heavy consideration even given its occasional shortcomings.

Phone
    Iphone 5s 64gb
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Price will be the same as my iphone , with my company discount i get my iphone is pretty about $77 after taxes, sprints is $69.99 so it will be the same price afterwards. Really considering making the switch!

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    GSM is better for building penetration but not travel but this has been less of a difference over actual bands used, 1900 will always be worse indoors with all things being equal. 3G is W-CDMA and not GSM btw.

The only way to know would be to get a Sprint phone to test things out with. Sprint has a $10 surcharge on the HTC Evo so it's $79.99 before your discounts.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Phone
    LG G3
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Depends more on how well the network is built out. There will be the same people who always repeat the same "800 has better penetration than 1900" line on forums. But a well engineered 1900 system can work just as good or better.
    Sprint user since 1997

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    Depends more on how well the network is built out. There will be the same people who always repeat the same "800 has better penetration than 1900" line on forums. But a well engineered 1900 system can work just as good or better.

I'd also add that it depends on which carrier has the closest tower.

If I was deep inside a building with a Sprint's closest tower on the rooftop and a Verizon's or AT&T's closest tower 27 miles away, I'd say that Sprint's 1900 MHz system penetrates my building better than Verizon's or AT&T's 850 MHz.
    - Chokaay

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    I definitely agree with this statement. I work in a basement in Staten Island for my 2nd job and Verizon and Sprint have next to nothing when it comes to service. I'm usually forced to shut my radio off on my blackberry otherwise the battery dies in 3 hours from a full charge. Sprint it all depends where you are standing in the basement and sometimes it will show roaming, other times no service like Verizon.

AT&T, T-Mobile, and Nextel all have service in the basement. AT&T and T-Mobile show full service and Nextel fluctuates.

I know T-Mobile is running off a 1900mhz network and I'm pretty sure AT&T is running off of a 850mhz network in NYC; Nextel runs on 800mhz.
    "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" (#179/#4F22); September 21, 1997

Never Forget.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post
    I am an AT&T customer and there signal inside buildings is pretty subpar for the most part, other than that there signal is great. I have had AT&T for about 7yrs now and have had an iphone for almost 4yrs now, I am getting tired of the iphone UI and just got back from checking out the latest verizon and sprint phones, the Evo by far was the best and is very very close to getting me to switch.

Verizon always gets really good signal inside my work building just from seeing people using them all the time, Since sprint is CDMA will it be the same? CDMA in general penetrates buildings better than GSM correct?
    You realize if the Sprint signal drops in your building, your phone will just roam onto VZW right?

Feedback Score
    One thing I'd like to point out, if I may..... I know this statement can / could cause a lot of opinions on everyones own experience, but I must mention since your interested in the EVO. I am extremely pleased with mine, especially with signal issues. I previously used a Blackberry Curve, and then the Tour and would alway's have signal problems and call drops, all of the time at my work.
    With my new EVO, I have not yet had one call drop. I don't have any confirmation on this, and only just pondering the idea, but the EVO (as least mine) is much better for calls. I have to wonder if since the phone is larger, if the antenna inside isn't bigger too to improve signal. (And I have to throw this out there too, it doesn't matter how I hold the phone either .... )

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try holding it upside down with the right top side in the palm of your hand, the antenna is located at the top rather than the bottom like your Tour.

Phone
    Nexus5
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkhead View Post
    lol your sig does not impress me with sprint
    Yep, the 3G speeds here are quite ugly.

Feedback Score
    There are lots of different factors that go into whether you have good coverage or not. Here's a few:

1. Cell site placement. If the cell site is closer to you, you'll get stronger signal.

2. Frequency. Lower frequency transmissions go further. While the distance a transmission goes will be affected by a lot of things (from mountains to walls to trees), in general it's safe to assume that ~800MHz frequencies will travel around twice the distance of 1900MHz ones (there's a great post from years ago by OldEngineer if you want more info). Suffice it to say, 1900MHz networks need around 3-4x the cell sites.

3. Network load. The more people using a network, the more limited the coverage. This is especially true in CDMA systems where closer users transmitting can drown out users further away, but does apply to GSM systems as well since it limits the effectiveness of things like frequency hopping.

A lot will depend on what carrier is strong in your area. Usually the two cellular carriers are the strongest in an area since the 800MHz spectrum propagates better, but that doesn't mean that carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile don't do well.

Really, if you offered an area, you'd probably get less theoretical feedback. Ah, nevermind - I see that your location is New Hampshire. Your options for cellular carriers there are US Cellular and Verizon for most of the state. AT&T has two cellular licenses in New Hampshire around Salem and Dover if I recall correctly. Sprint's coverage isn't so great in NH. Again, it kinda depends on where you are in NH. Some people consider Concord to be southern NH and it is compared to the state's height. If you look at Sprint's maps, you'll see that there isn't much in the way of coverage between Manchester and Concord. It's there, but not the highest quality.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on your location. Sprints closest tower is 3 miles away from my house, but I live at the bottom of a hill, so my EVO constantly jumped between 1 bar and roaming on Verizon, whose tower is actually the same distance away, but I always get full reception in my house with my Droid. I'm not sure if Verizon operates a 800 tower while Sprint operates a 1900, but Verizon has always had a strong signal in my home, along with T-Mobile. AT&T and Sprint can't seem to get my house covered, even though I had full bars if I walk to the top of my street.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast