Thread: Cell Repeater - What tower?

Feedback Score

Cell Repeater - What tower?

I'm trying to get a cell repeater working with a yagi antenna. We have acceptable service, but it's not great. Is there anyway to figure out what tower my phone is associated with? I want to make sure we're even in the right ball park for hitting the tower I'm trying to hit.

I know when you call 9-1-1, the PSAP will see the tower location, if triangulation is not working. If I call Verizon and explain what I'm doing, are they able to see this information and would they give it to me?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They might tell you, but why not put your phone into field test mode and read the dbm # as it gets closer to 0 when you turn the Yagi, that should at least be your closest tower, likely the one you are connected to. -50 to -90 is the most typical range you should see, -50 being much better...
    "Got Root?"

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I second field test mode. It gives you signal strength, and a pilot number. The pilot number is unique within a given area, each panel on each local site has a unique pilot. If it's all that difficult to swing the Yagi around, then I would first make a few test calls in field test mode, if multiple pilots are shown you are in range of multiple sites. If not then you are either only in range of one, or at least it's much stronger than the rest. I'd walk around the outside of the house, and see which direction the signal is strongest. (This is essentially using your house to block the signal from other directions.) Then you can try aiming the Yagi in that direction. Good luck!

Phones
    IPHONE 5
    Retired IPHONE 3G, 4, 4S
    Retired V9M
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    OK you find the right tower to point your antenna at. Next day no signal. tower went out of service due to a power failure or equipment failure. The other problem I see is that the yagi is not as pin pint in directivity as you would think. You may hit several towers with in the "beam width"of the tower. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

verizon uses backup generators on its towers
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16