Thread: CDMA boost and EVDO/3G internet

Feedback Score

CDMA boost and EVDO/3G internet

Hi! Noob here needing some quick answer. I rely on internet on my cell phone. So I need to make sure I get it right before I switch to boost. I did have done much much reading already. But either the information is confusing or dated and I am not sure if changes occurred. Hope you guys help. So here we go:

1.If I activate a palm centro on boostmobile following directions here, and choose pay-to-go plan, will I have FREE EVDO/3G internet access on that phone? Or, do I have to pay $0.35 a day? I know for older phones you need to change proxies to get it free. But I don't think it's relevant for smartphone. Am I correct? Is there another hack we need do or is it kinda native?

2.Can I use native internet browser to access internet or do I have to use opera mini, etc? I know it is not an issue for centro. But I am also thinking of using a TP2, so wondering if I can use IE, etc.

3. What about tethering? I use my palm centro on sprint to dial up #777 to get online. Is it the same?

Thanks!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Sprint CDMA phones on Boost use the already existing EVDO Data Connection provided by Boost. It works whether you have the $0.35/day feature enabled or disabled.

You can use the phones native browser, or you can download Opera, whichever you want to do. Only the Sprint Blackberry to my knowledge, requires a "patch" to use the native Browser on Boost.

You can use the Centro to tether as long as you use a 3rd party application such as PDAnet, or whatever is available for that phone.

You can not use the PAM (phone as modem) method, by setting up a dial up connection with #777 etc. That doesn't work on Boost.

Feedback Score
    I guess my question then becomes: How does boostmobile know who to charge the $0.35 a day and who to not charge such a fee, when both users use web on the smartphone without proxy or any tweak? Do I just call them and say "please disable my $0.35 mobile web feature?" Or, what am I missing here? Thanks!

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    You are overthinking it. When you activate the phone the daily 35 cent web fee is not turned on. Just don't turn it on (you have to ask for it on the website by checking a box or via phone) ... data will work.

I used a Palm Centro on Boost for six months no problem. I used USB Modem for tethering. No problem. I plugged into a CradlePoint CTR-350 and created a wifi hotspot. No problem. Repeat. No problem.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for clarifications! That's a lot of help!

But I've got another question. So, I used pdanet trial and usbmodem before on my centro with sprint. But didn't really pay attention. Is pdanet the same speed as usbmodem or is it higher? My task panel says 927k, or something like that. I know it is not the true speed. But is this the fastest we can get?

And pdanet isn't free right? Or you guys are using some older free version or whatever?

Pitflyer, when you make it a wireless hotspot, I suppose you did this so more than one computer can get online? How is the speed? I know when I tether my centro with computer with usbmodem, it is usable but slow. Maybe barely tolerable for using youtube (just for testing purpose) but certainly nothing like video streaming. Is this what you get as well? I am certainly not complaining, just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Also I am confused about all these names: 3g, evdo-0, evdo-a. What's the difference?

Thanks again!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    EVDO (Evolution Data Optimized) is a 3G technology offered by CDMA carriers. There are three different Revisions of EVDO.

EVDO Rev 0: 400kbps-1000kbps Download (bursts up to 2.0Mbps), 50kbps-100kbps Upload (bursts to 144Kbps)
    EVDO Rev A: 600Kbps-1,400Kbps Download (bursts to 3.1Mbps), 500Kbps-800Kbps Upload (bursts to 1.8Mbps)
    EVDO REV B: Which supports up to 4.9 Mbps per channel on up to 3 channels for a total of 14.7 Mbps download speed. (Not yet available).

Phone
    OnePlus
    Carrier
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I've never used PDANet. USBModem worked fine (I paid for it) and I hear it uses the built in DUN as opposed to PDANet which uses some other method which introduces overhead.

I used multiple computers when I shared my connection. It was fine. But they were not streaming video. I don't really stream video that much so I can't tell you. The speed shown in your tool bar when connected is not accurate. Use a website like speedtest.net to get a more accurate read.