Thread: Laptop turns on but screen stays blank

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score

Laptop turns on but screen stays blank

Hey guys I have a HP Pavilion dv2000 and today I turned it on and was watching a dvd on it and got a line through the screen and the computer froze.
    I turned it off and now when I try and turn it back on I just get a blank screen. The laptop powers up and shows all the lights but the screen is still black.
    Any suggestions?

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Shine a flashlight or a bright light on the screen and see if you can still see what is on the screen (it will be very dim) if so its your backlight that just went out. If the screen is totally blank it could be several items including video card, the screen itself or your inverter.

Phone
    Motorola Electrify ICS
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vansanity View Post
    Hey guys I have a HP Pavilion dv2000 and today I turned it on and was watching a dvd on it and got a line through the screen and the computer froze.
    I turned it off and now when I try and turn it back on I just get a blank screen. The laptop powers up and shows all the lights but the screen is still black.
    Any suggestions?
    Let me guess... AMD processor?
    You're going to thank me when your screen starts working again.
    Press and hold Scroll and Insert as you power the computer on. You might have to do it a couple times. This will reset the BIOS. After it boots up I suggest updating the BIOS to the most recent version.
    HP Support page

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    GPUs in HPs have a tendency to overheat and go to crap.

Phone
    Motorola Electrify ICS
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have the same laptop. I encountered the same problem and after taking it completely apart twice, the BIOS reset is what fixed it.

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ii Candor ii View Post
    I have the same laptop. I encountered the same problem and after taking it completely apart twice, the BIOS reset is what fixed it.
    It actually depends, I have run into a few of these with this problem and most of the time it is what Candor says, a BIOS update needed although the BIOS update may not fix the problem, just prolong the laptop a few more months or years. The problem is insufficient cooling for the GPU. The BIOS update addresses this by ramping up the cooling fan. The problem with this update is the damage in some cases will have already been done, ie the GPU has been too hot for too many cycles and is going to fail regardless.

On the other hand I currently have 2 of these notebooks in my shop now for repair, both with either a bad inverter or back-light and nothing to do with the cooling issue at all.

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, sorry for the late response as I didn't have a computer and couldn't read all your helpful replies. I will try tonight when I get home from work and hopefully can post my results.

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ii Candor ii View Post
    Let me guess... AMD processor?
    You're going to thank me when your screen starts working again.
    Press and hold Scroll and Insert as you power the computer on. You might have to do it a couple times. This will reset the BIOS. After it boots up I suggest updating the BIOS to the most recent version.
    HP Support page
    I tried this 4 times and still nothing. As well I shined a light on it it is completely black. I plug the laptop in, then turn it on and get the blue lights at the top for the push buttons but nothing else, no beeps as well hope that helps.

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Was the laptop on when you did the flashlight trick? You can also try it in a dark room, you will basically barely be able to see anything on the screen.

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score
    I did it in a dark room and I couldn't see anything.

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score
    I hooked it up to a computer monitor and all i got was a buzzing sound from the laptop. No screen or sounds. If it is the GPU how much is it to replace that? Is it worth it to replace it or should I just throw it out?

Phone
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The GPU on that model is part of the motherboard, its toast. If it isn't under warranty its time for another laptop. That is unless there is something else wrong. If i were you I would take it into a mom and pop computer store and have them check it out, it might be something simple as well.

Feedback Score
    hi i am kind of a wis kid when it come to these things so if you would like to email me..... my email is on my profile.

try rebooting it if you dont know how to do this email me with you computer details such as make and programing type (e.g vista etc)

electronic gadgets-buy electronics
    Car Diagnostic Tools-CarECU
    Last edited by Razorback64; 08-16-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Phones
    Samsung a920
    Samsung u740
    HTC TOUCH
    Feedback Score
    Hey I am sorry I didn't respond but I didn't have a computer until today. I gave up on the laptop, a shop switched the ram and it didn't work so he said it was the motherboard and offered me $50 for it. I sold it on kijiji Got $100 for it and bought a new HP from futureshop for $400. Thank severyone for helping me