Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Which phone runs live streaming video best?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    110
    Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Motorola V551
    Virgin Mobile Party Animal
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which phone runs live streaming video best?

    It's finally time to upgrade from my LG Vu - I'm on AT&T. I've haven't been keeping up with phones much but I know the Android is supposed to be technically more capable than the Iphone. My main concern above all is a phone that can play live streams from sites like ATDHE, Ustream, and JustinTv. Which phone, even if it's not an Android, can do this or has apps for viewing video from these sites? How much are AT&T unlimited data plans for Android and Iphone? Right now I'm grandfathered into the $15 unlimited data plan but I;m sure that won't fly if I upgrade to an Android or Iphone, correct?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,965
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know the $15 unlimited plan will not fly with new smartphones. Right now the only phones I know of that are able to stream from ATDHE are Android phones running 2.2 and Nokia phones that run Linux.

    I have no personal experience buy my one friend that had the Nokia(sorry forget the model number) said it was very buggy.
    The only Android phone that can run Android 2.2 at the moment without root access is the Nexus 1. Many other phones are slated to updated to 2.2 officially but there are no time frames as far as I know. If you are willing to root your phone then you have other options but you'll have to look around to see which ones have 2.2 roms.

    I've watched a few things on atdhe with my N1 without issue, its just a battery drainer and uses a lot of bandwidth.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    31,469
    Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyc View Post
    It's finally time to upgrade from my LG Vu - I'm on AT&T. I've haven't been keeping up with phones much but I know the Android is supposed to be technically more capable than the Iphone. My main concern above all is a phone that can play live streams from sites like ATDHE, Ustream, and JustinTv. Which phone, even if it's not an Android, can do this or has apps for viewing video from these sites? How much are AT&T unlimited data plans for Android and Iphone? Right now I'm grandfathered into the $15 unlimited data plan but I;m sure that won't fly if I upgrade to an Android or Iphone, correct?
    Skyfire does the trick.



    Optimum/Cablevision

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,965
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Skyfire does the trick.
    I never had much luck with Skyfire on my Milestone but that was a few weeks back. Perhaps there have been updates to the app?

    But I did forget about Skyfire on Winmo phones. That will also do the trick.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    110
    Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Motorola V551
    Virgin Mobile Party Animal
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the replies and sorry I hadn't responded earlier... we had a death in the family and I had to help get things straightened out for my relatives.

    I am way behind on what's going on with phones and browsers over the last couple years. So is there a consensus here that an Android N1(2.2 version) is the only phone that will run live streaming sites like ATDHE, Channelsurfing, and JustinTv fairly well? Or will the Iphone or other Android phones(or any other phones for that matter) run these types of sites though apps?

    I also need help figuring how much data I typically use so I know what plan under ATT new rates fits me best if I can't stay grandfathered under my $15 unlimited plan when I switch to a smartphone. Under the "Msg/Min KB/MB Used" heading on my phone bill, I typically use between 41,000-44,000... not sure if that's in KB or MB. The new plans are $15 for 200mb or $25 for 2gb. What do I fall under and how much would streaming a two hour game through JustingTV cost me in kb/mbs?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    81
    Phone
    Nexus One
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    You for sure wont be able to keep teh $15 dollar plan. Thats what I had on my Nokia, and within hours of getting my N1 they caught it and switched me. I called and they said I couldnt be "grandfathered" because the $15 unlimited was not intended for smartphones. Had I been paying teh $30 for unlimited smartphone I could have kept that.
    Now the N1 I have found can stream extremely well from most sites except Hulu and Sling.
    I found quicksilverscreen.com has alot of new movies and stream pretty good. I watched 'Grown Ups' the other day on 3G and used about 150MB.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    110
    Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Motorola V551
    Virgin Mobile Party Animal
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kjac081 View Post
    You for sure wont be able to keep teh $15 dollar plan. Thats what I had on my Nokia, and within hours of getting my N1 they caught it and switched me. I called and they said I couldnt be "grandfathered" because the $15 unlimited was not intended for smartphones. Had I been paying teh $30 for unlimited smartphone I could have kept that.
    Now the N1 I have found can stream extremely well from most sites except Hulu and Sling.
    I found quicksilverscreen.com has alot of new movies and stream pretty good. I watched 'Grown Ups' the other day on 3G and used about 150MB.



    Thanks for the reply. I take it you believe or already know the N1 will stream a site like ATDHE(my favorite for live online sports and news) and JustinTv just fine? That site is extremely important to me because I'm a bit of a sports nut and that site rarely fails me. Are your streaming sites working well under 2.1 or are you using 2.2? Also, are you using Skyfire or a different browser to do this? Is the Iphone simply not capable of streaming a site like ATDHE? Which ATT Android phone capable of doing what I want is the best deal price wise?

    I guess I'll be paying for the 2g service at $25 since you say viewing a movie eats up around 150mb. Can you or anybody else tell me how the data usage I mentioned translates into KB or MB?
    Last edited by buddyc; 07-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    31,469
    Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbaby View Post
    I never had much luck with Skyfire on my Milestone but that was a few weeks back. Perhaps there have been updates to the app?

    But I did forget about Skyfire on Winmo phones. That will also do the trick.
    It's strange that Skyfire uses same WebKit engine as default browser and Dolphin.
    If you want Adobe Flash 10, you need 2.2 at least. (so lame)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    110
    Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Motorola V551
    Virgin Mobile Party Animal
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyc View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I take it you believe or already know the N1 will stream a site like ATDHE(my favorite for live online sports and news) and JustinTv just fine? That site is extremely important to me because I'm a bit of a sports nut and that site rarely fails me. Are your streaming sites working well under 2.1 or are you using 2.2? Also, are you using Skyfire or a different browser to do this? Is the Iphone simply not capable of streaming a site like ATDHE? Which ATT Android phone capable of doing what I want is the best deal price wise?

    I guess I'll be paying for the 2g service at $25 since you say viewing a movie eats up around 150mb. Can you or anybody else tell me how the data usage I mentioned translates into KB or MB?



    Well I am pretty sure the data must be in Mb, but I do still need help with my other questions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    31,469
    Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; zh-tw; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

    Quote Originally Posted by buddyc
    Quote Originally Posted by kjac081 View Post
    You for sure wont be able to keep teh $15 dollar plan. Thats what I had on my Nokia, and within hours of getting my N1 they caught it and switched me. I called and they said I couldnt be "grandfathered" because the $15 unlimited was not intended for smartphones. Had I been paying teh $30 for unlimited smartphone I could have kept that.
    Now the N1 I have found can stream extremely well from most sites except Hulu and Sling.
    I found quicksilverscreen.com has alot of new movies and stream pretty good. I watched 'Grown Ups' the other day on 3G and used about 150MB.



    Thanks for the reply. I take it you believe or already know the N1 will stream a site like ATDHE(my favorite for live online sports and news) and JustinTv just fine? That site is extremely important to me because I'm a bit of a sports nut and that site rarely fails me. Are your streaming sites working well under 2.1 or are you using 2.2? Also, are you using Skyfire or a different browser to do this? Is the Iphone simply not capable of streaming a site like ATDHE? Which ATT Android phone capable of doing what I want is the best deal price wise?

    I guess I'll be paying for the 2g service at $25 since you say viewing a movie eats up around 150mb. Can you or anybody else tell me how the data usage I mentioned translates into KB or MB?
    A 60 minutes 128kbps mp3 streaming costs 60MB an hour, and a 360p youtube rate is 450-500kbps, it's almost 4x more than mp3 stream I mentioned above.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    110
    Phones
    Nokia 6620
    Motorola V551
    Virgin Mobile Party Animal
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; zh-tw; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)



    A 60 minutes 128kbps mp3 streaming costs 60MB an hour, and a 360p youtube rate is 450-500kbps, it's almost 4x more than mp3 stream I mentioned above.


    Yep, I'm sure I'll have to go with the $25 plan, no biggie. I just need some opinions on the best value and place to look for an AT&T Droid phone the suits my needs. I assume most will still be 2.1... is it easy and free to upgrade to 2.2 if that's a necessity for streaming live video properly?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    375
    Phone
    HTC Raider LTE
    Carriers
    Bell
    CLEAR
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a milestone running 2.1 and haven't been able to find a way to stream .asx streaming video files, and finding the same problems with streaming .wmv files

    what are the solutions to this important issue, when I got the phone I was really intent on watching these streaming videos, even youtube needs to run through the youtube app to watch video, it would be nice if there was some kind of native browser plug in that would cover many of the typical formats just like a desktop computer does it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    21
    Phone
    LG VX10
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Update Please - This Thread Is 2 Years Old

    I searched through everything and this thread, although old, is exactly the question I want to ask.

    I need a good phone to livestream from - one that won't look all choppy and pixelated. One that has enough power and a good enough camera to see what's going on if I'm streaming at night time. I know Verizon generally has the best reception and I'm a big reception whore, but if I'm reading their web site correctly they aren't offering unlimited data to anyone.

    I tried to livestream from a very old laptop with a web cam and it kept cutting off the stream due to low RAM and processor speed (livestream recommends Quad-Core i7 for complete video streaming freedom). The video I'd be taking is of a group that meets in a park once a week (i.e. no electricity) for about 2 or 3 hours. One of the issues seems to be throttling as well, which would affect the stream. Since this is for a group, I'd prefer not to make expensive contract commitments.

    Does anyone have any idea which phone and service has the best unlimited plan and reception? Is there any way to take advantage of a plan that has unlimited data, but no contracts? Which has the best video on the phone for livestreaming? I saw a thread that talked about Verizon having loopholes that would allow you to have unlimited data, but you had to get a hold of the right person to get it turned on. I'm on disability, so I have to be frugal about both the cost of the phone and the cost of the plan.

    Here is the list of phones that supposedly work with livestream: http://qik.com/phones

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
  2. The iPhone Now Runs Android (Video)
    By Andre71 in forum Android
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 09:43 AM
  4. Qik 720x480 Live Streaming on the Droid
    By WiredGuy in forum Motorola
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 07:36 PM
  5. Streaming live TV to Env2 with ORB - almost working
    By mpj220 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks