Thread: Cheap temporary travel phone? - Canada

Feedback Score

Cheap temporary travel phone? - Canada

Hi. First time posting here. Hope this topic hasn't been covered too much. My initial search of the forums didn't yield any other threads.

While I wait for the iPhone 4 to be launched here in Canada, I need to get a cheap temporary cell phone for my vacation this summer. I'll be driving from Toronto to the Maritimes and back, gone 2 weeks. Now, bear in mind, I've never owned a cell phone before, so I'm a bit of a newbie.

From what I gather, I can try to buy a cheap, used GSM phone (the Marketplace here, Craigslist, etc), then get a pre-paid SIM card to plug into it. All I really need is talk and maybe text.

I want the phone for emergencies while on the road, and to have while I'm there (mostly in PEI, maybe a few days in NB). What kind of SIM card/plan would be best? If I buy a SIM in Toronto before I leave, does that mean I'll end up paying non-local/roaming rates when I'm on PEI? What's the best solution for that scenario?

What kind of options are there for SIM cards/plans? I know FIDO has monthly, daily, by-the-minute prepaid plans, etc.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Cheers
    - j

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular via dealer
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about Canada, but is the US, I would go to a 7-eleven, Walgreens, etc, and buy a cheap prepaid phone + "money card".
    It's quick and relatively cheap - just don't expect great service. Maybe you can visit similar stores in Canada and look around.
    I preassume that you are a "light" user. If heavy user, I would look at various prepaid providers in Canada (check the listing
    in this forum - I can't help you).

Sheng-Chieh

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    The 7-11 Speakout service seems pretty good, actually. I noticed this on their site.
    http://speakout7eleven.ca/pages/faq/index.php#q_15

"If you move out of your local calling area, you can change your number to the local calling area by dialing 611 on your phone to navigate to customer service and asking for a number change to your new home area. There is no cost for this service."

I'm wondering if that means I can change my number temporarily while I'm on vacation?