Thread: Tracfone with Google voice question

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tracfone with Google voice question

OK - I finally got my phone.....9 days for overnight shipping !
    Samsung T301G. T Mob SIM.

I can forward to my Tracfone number ok via GV but I can't call into GV and make outgoing calls.
    It goes directly to GV voicemail with no option to 'Press #2 to make a call' (I can make calls out using the GV site)
    I was under the impression that TF was using the full T-Mob network rather than the prepaid T-Mob network.
    Anyone know if the same problem would arise using a At&t sim or Verizon CDMA TF?

That browser button is real pain in the rear on the T301.
    Maybe I'll just send it back.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    It's got to be something with either your settings on GV for the TracFone, or something along those lines.

Make sure you don't have your GV number set to "Do Not Disturb", which would dump anything incoming to voicemail immediately.

If you're calling the GV number from the TracFone and it is set up as a forwarding phone, it should present you with a menu when you call it. Only forwarded phones can get this.

Try to make sure you don't have any of the more exotic feature enabled, like a calling group or special rings; not until you get this ironed out.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes - I had the GV VM setting to ask for PIN. This only works if I designate my Tracfone as 'MOBILE' rather than 'Work' or 'Home' ....seems strange.

Also, do you know why I have 2 self recorded greeting messages on GV VM,
    but only one shows up on my GV online control panel. So where is the other one hosted? It's all a bit confusing. Thanks

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So, you can now call up your GV number from the Trac and get the menu, allowing you to call out?

About your last point: There would normally be both a name recording (used when Call Screening enabled) and a separate full-length Outgoing Message sort of recording that would precede a caller leaving a message to VM.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    So, you can now call up your GV number from the Trac and get the menu, allowing you to call out?

About your last point: There would normally be both a name recording (used when Call Screening enabled) and a separate full-length Outgoing Message sort of recording that would precede a caller leaving a message to VM.
    Yes thank you - I can now get to the menu and call out thru GV
    Have you found a way to use the contacts list contained in your phone to auto dial numbers thru GV (avoiding having to dial each number anew) ?

Recorded greetings: When calling into the GV menu from your TF, press 4 for settings then 1 to change /hear existing greeting.
    A new greeting can be recorded right there, which I did, then followed the voice prompts to accept and use new greeting.
    However the greeting defaults to the one on the web page (the Google auto default, or any custom greeting you recorded at the web site) If you delete your custom greeting at the web page, the system reverts to the Google auto default only, not the one you recorded using the TF. I have scanned the GV forums but no clear info there.
    Thanks

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Update: It's using the greeting recorded with the phone now.
    (This message board doesn't allow me to edit posts...it just hangs and hangs after hitting save)

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ta1k0 View Post
    (This message board doesn't allow me to edit posts...it just hangs and hangs after hitting save)
    I was told to use " go advanced" to edit text. I've not tried it yet.

Edit: just did...it works

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    I was told to use " go advanced" to edit text. I've not tried it yet.

Edit: just did...it works
    Thanks...I'll try that.

Well I've burned through about 40 minutes so far just trying to set this thing up.
    I am having serious doubts about the suitability of prepaid for my uses.

This Samsung T301 that keeps catching me up with this pathetic browser service thing. It's very hard to avoid hitting that soft key in browser mode. It's not even real web - just some lame crippled TF version.
    Can I get browser functionality turned off?

I really don't want to even call TF. I have no land line.
    A new user just posted it took him 5 days and 3 hrs on hold to get his new phone activated.
    How can that be? If it were not posted here, it would be hard to believe the difficulties associated with this company.

Can anyone suggest an alternative phone? I have time to return the T301.
    I was reading some good things about the CDMA LG 290c but was told, even if I got hold of one, TF may refuse to activate it in my GSM zip.
    Thx

Feedback Score
    Can anyone suggest an alternative phone? I have time to return the T301.
    I was reading some good things about the CDMA LG 290c but was told, even if I got hold of one, TF may refuse to activate it in my GSM zip.
    Thx
    They won't refuse. At least, they didn't for me and my two pals. We're in a GSM-only (GSM5AT) market, and I ordered an LG 290c using the "use a CDMA-only ZIP code" trick. Pal #1 did the same. Pal #2 ordered an LG 220c via the same trick.

All three activated here seamlessly, effortlessly and instantly, and we used our real, local ZIP codes during activation! (CDMA-only zip to view phones online, our real ZIP for shipping info, then our real ZIP when activating). Not a problem at all... the 2 of the 3 phones that weren't porting in an existing number received new local numbers for this area, as you'd expect. I ported in my Verizon postpaid/contract number while activating, and that worked fine also. I'm pretty sure a CDMA Tracfone will activate just fine anywhere Verizon (or US Cellular) service is available in the air.

And, the phone (290c) kicks a$$, and so does the Verizon CDMA service. Big beautiful screen, best CDMA reception and signal-grabbing in fringe areas that I've seen yet, clear, loud earpiece and speakerphone, 2.5mm headset jack, a very SOLID "build" (feels like an expensive contract phone), and a very highly scratch-resistant glass or plastic (or whatever it is) over the screen. Battery life is amazing, best I've ever seen. A week on standby only knocks 1 of the 3 battery bars off.

Highly, highly recommended. And no crappy random "outages" that AT&T has (probably iPhone-overload-related), where your phone just suddenly loses signal and won't work (in either direction) for 10 minutes, an hour, 3 hours... WHILE other AT&T phones around you KEEP working fine... then suddenly comes back. None of that B.S. with Verizon, ever! Also, far FAR better coverage than T-Mobile has.

Hope that helps.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainColeslaw View Post
    They won't refuse. At least, they didn't for me and my two pals. We're in a GSM-only (GSM5AT) market, and I ordered an LG 290c using the "use a CDMA-only ZIP code" trick. Pal #1 did the same. Pal #2 ordered an LG 220c via the same trick.

I'm pretty sure a CDMA Tracfone will activate just fine anywhere Verizon (or US Cellular) service is available in the air.

And, the phone (290c) kicks a$$, and so does the Verizon CDMA service. Big beautiful screen, best CDMA reception and signal-grabbing in fringe areas that I've seen yet, clear, loud earpiece and speakerphone, 2.5mm headset jack, a very SOLID "build" (feels like an expensive contract phone), and a very highly scratch-resistant glass or plastic (or whatever it is) over the screen. Battery life is amazing, best I've ever seen. A week on standby only knocks 1 of the 3 battery bars off.

Highly, highly recommended. And no crappy random "outages" that AT&T has (probably iPhone-overload-related), where your phone just suddenly loses signal and won't work (in either direction) for 10 minutes, an hour, 3 hours... WHILE other AT&T phones around you KEEP working fine... then suddenly comes back. None of that B.S. with Verizon, ever! Also, far FAR better coverage than T-Mobile has.

Hope that helps.
    Hi thanks for reply...well after a lot of messing around, I ended up with the 290c on Verizon.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ighlight=ta1k0

Totally agree on the LG290c with Verizon - like night and day from At&t.
    Love the button for the speakerphone...loud, clear, very sturdy construction etc.
    My only wish for prepaid heaven now, is a $20 Straight Talk 500 min per mo plan.

Feedback Score
    My only wish for prepaid heaven now, is a $20 Straight Talk 500 min per mo plan.
    Ah, but then you'd lose ALL of the excellent CDMA roaming capabilities that CDMA Tracfones have.

Straight Talk CDMA lets you ONLY use Verizon-owned towers, and no others. Tracfone CDMA lets you use Verizon, US Cellular, and essentially all other CDMA towers nationwide (regardless of their owning carrier), automatically and seamlessly, resulting in the best nationwide coverage map I've ever seen in my life.

Tracfone CDMA coverage is a considerable "superset" of Straight Talk CDMA coverage (in other words, ALL CDMA Straight Talk areas have CDMA Tracfone coverage, but NOT vice-versa).
    Last edited by CaptainColeslaw; 09-19-2010 at 08:10 AM.