Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If any of you have asurion insurance on your phones, drop it now.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Angry If any of you have asurion insurance on your phones, drop it now.

This company is a scam, your better off putting the $6 away in your bank each month than paying for this crap. Let me tell you why.

This past Saturday, my Motorola Droid was stolen. I have had the Asurion insurance the last 2 contracts. I called Verizon 30 mins. after my phone was stolen to have them shut off the line and they transferred me over to Asurion to start my claim.

1st, I was told that the Moto Droid's were on backorder and that I can have a Droid Eris instead. No thanks. That phone sucks. I will wait for the backorder I tell the woman. 2 minutes later she tells me she was wrong and they are in stock. Great, I get my replacement phone Tuesday (today). WRONG.

I never received the tracking # I was promised 12 hrs. after I received my "COMPLETED" claim email so I called them today. The 1st customer service rep I spoke to, Tawanda, then told me they were on backorder and told me to hold. She hung up on me. I was very courteous the whole time and did not do anything that would make her hang up on me BTW. So I call back.

I then speak to I think a woman named Ashley. Well Ashley then tells me that THEY DON'T MAKE THE PHONE ANYMORE. Really Ashley? Because that's the 3rd different answer I've received from Asurion since Saturday. In stock, backorder, and discontinued. She offers me again, the Droid Eris or now, the HTC Incredible, both inferior models. No thanks I tell them. I want the phone that I had, and was told originally was in stock, my Moto Droid, or I would take the new one that drops in 2 days, as the X is truly the "comparable" model. Well Ashely tells me they can't do either so I ask to speak to her manager.

Now Violet, the customer service manager, gets on the phone. Violet was a complete B____ (I'll let you fill in the blanks). I tell her what has happened, and she goes off on this bull about how it says in my contract that they will offer me a comparable model and I have to pick one of the 2 they offered me. Apparently, they get to make up their own rules on what they consider "comparable". Anyways, the company are complete, utter, scam artists. You pay your insurance monthly premiums, get dinged with your $50 deductible for a phone which is actually cheaper if you go out and buy it yourself. F this company, I will NEVER buy anything from them and I will tell everyone about this scam.

Luckily, I called Verizon and got a rep named Umberto(sp?). I told him the story about what happened and Umberto within 5 mins. found me a Droid and sent it out 2 Day Air for my $50 deductible. I don't know why Verizon doesn't handle their own claims rather than hand it off to some 3rd party jackasses who just f_ck up their customer relationships with shoddy service.

If it weren't for the fact that Umberto helped me out, a Verizon customer for 12 years, I would be switching carriers right now.

Verizon, if your listening, get rid of using this company for your claims. They are absolutely horrible.

Phones
    Droid-X
    Droid-X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If it weren't for the fact that Umberto helped me out, a Verizon customer for 12 years, I would be switching carriers right now.
    I'm sure, props to Umberto tho!

Just saying, I never had any of the issues to stated above with Asurion, then again I never reported my phone stolen, it was always broken and I was able to send the broken phone back...
    Current: BIONIC
    Backup: HTC, Thunderbolt -- HTC Incredible (Skyraider)
    Past: Droid, Devour, Omnia 2, Pearl, Flipshot, Juke, Voygr, Storm, Q, Dare, Boulder, Sam U740, LG/V-111, Noko 3589, Moto V710, Moto T720, Mifi, Noko 5185i
    Dare service menu: ##77647269700

Carriers
    Verizon/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Incredible being inferior to the Droid? Hmm guess my theories about cell phone customers are right

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Casio G'zOne C731
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    So all of this was listed in your customer agreement materials that accompanied your phone purchase and yet you still choose to make this long-winded poor me story?

Technically, you were supposed to have paid an $89 deductible. Lucky you.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    No kidding. It's the biggest scam ever. $7 a month, plus a $100 deductible, plus they only give you a refurb. One would have to be miiiiighty stupid to sign up for it.

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke3630 View Post
    So all of this was listed in your customer agreement materials that accompanied your phone purchase and yet you still choose to make this long-winded poor me story?

Technically, you were supposed to have paid an $89 deductible. Lucky you.
    I think the point is that the customer service from the company was terrible, but also that it's basically a ripoff. By the time you would need insurance, the monthly fees and premiums may well add up to more than the cost of a used phone on eBay which is similar what you get with insurance (a refurb).

I would say though that the Incredible is definitely comparable if not better than a Droid with the exception of a hardware keyboard, and that they are allowed to give you whatever they consider comparable. But giving three different answers to the same question, in addition to not shipping a phone, reflects poorly on them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
    I would say though that the Incredible is definitely comparable if not better than a Droid with the exception of a hardware keyboard, and that they are allowed to give you whatever they consider comparable.
    But he would take a Droid X!

Phone
    RIM BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    1. the incredible was a better deal, you should have taken it. I'm talking about real world cost on eBay, its far more valuable than the original droid.

2. yes, Asurion sucks. They are worth their weight in gold only if your a complete freetard and break your phone twice a year. Otherwise, its better to buy off eBay or wait till your annual upgrade is available.

3. you have an account on HoFo, you should know better than to post a "poor me" thread, these never go over well :-)

yaaah I've been hating on cellphone insurance plans for a while now, if you crunch the numbers (and nobody ever does or a free blackberry flip wouldn't be such a big deal at corporate) its just not worth it. Glad big red helped you out in the end, apparently they have an option whereby they can offer you a refurb for $50 if you've gone through some extenuating circumstances.

I was at the beach about 5 years ago (before I ever worked for an authorized retailer or even knew anything detailed about Verizon) and had my phone destroyed by the water. I went into a store and the first guy (the manager) said I'd have to do asurion and handed me a brochure and walked off. I thought about it for a sec and then approached another rep, who offered me exactly the same deal as the OP got. Would some corp. rep please chime in here and explain what this policy exactly is? How does this work? At the end of the day, I was really happy with VZW service, I had working phone and that was all I cared about.

Sorry your experience was sucky, but at least VZW did the right thing and helped you out. I wish in times like this where VZW takes the heat that they could retroactively take whatever asurion has made off you in the past and use it instead of letting the fatcats at asurion waste it on ridiculously shoddy refurbs.

Glad this is in /rants, cause I'm kinda liking the soapbox here

Thats all

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am wondering about the deductible with Asurion. I thought that it was a flat $50 but apparently that is no longer the case. Recently a friend lost her phone, and we were only charged $34 for the replacement. At work, a co-worker lost her Blackberry and the deductible was $89.

Have they recently changed to a flexible deductible depending on the phone you are replacing?
    Chicago - a great musical group and a great tradition.

The tradition continues with the release of Chicago XXX (30) on March 21 2005.
    And finally Stone of Sisyphus has been released.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To the haters, it's not that the Incredible is technically superior. I could care less about the miliseconds of processing improvements that the phone geeks drool over because it doesn't impact me at all. Big deal, I saved 2 seconds of my life today because of the snap dragon processor. But it's the fact that the Droid is the phone that I've had the last year, I'm very familiar with it, and I love it. Plus I the screen res on the Incredible is not as good as the Droid, comes with only 8GB card as opposed to 16GB for the Droid (I'm a music junkie and mine was full), and from reviews, the battery wasn't as good. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to be tied to an outlet the better part of a day just for using a few apps.

The biggest part was that I was treated poorly by Asurion. I got 3 different answers from 3 different people, hung up on (and I wasn't even a jerk!), and this was after being told the Droid was shipping on Monday. I even have the "completed" claim email sent to me on Saturday that said I would receive tracking within 12 hrs.!

Yes, it says in my contract they will replace it with a "comparable" model, but who's to say what really is "comparable"? Who makes the decisions on what is "comparable"? Is there a list that tells me if I lose my phone what they will replace it with? No. It's up to the insurance company to make that choice and when you let insurance companies make that choice, they will screw over people any chance they can get to make the most money without actually having to deliver. To me, these phones they offered were not "comparable". I was stupid in putting my faith in a company to do the right thing, clearly they didn't.

Umberto ext. 2187 made all the difference, and exceeded my expectations as a customer, and if VZW people are reading this, you need more people like him who actually care about making things right for the customer. Asurion should be taking notes right about now.

Feedback Score
    I keep insurance on my husband's phone because he works in a harsh environment. I probably should invest in a mil-spec phone, but he thinks they are too big and clunky looking. On average, for the 4 years we've been with Alltel/VZW, he's averaged a broken phone every 9 months. 2 RAZRs, a Rhythm and an AX8600. He's now in an EnV3, but I could have just filed an ins claim and gotten him probably an EnV2 to replace his Rhythm. At least, that's what they replaced my Motorola Hint with. The Rhythm was an Alltel. The EnVs are our first "VZW" phones, although they've been sending me postcards to upgrade ever since the merger happened.

The insurance is not always the best idea. My general rule of thumb is if it would cost me $250 out of pocket to replace the phone, I put insurance on it. Even if nothing happens before I am eligible for an upgrade, it's peace of mind. If I can get something I would be happy using for <$250, I skip the insurance. I always insure my husband's phones, though. And I deal with the insurance claim if something happens.

I'm glad that you got a helpful person on the phone. My experience so far with VZW's CSRs has been pretty sucky. The most unhelpful bunch of people I've ever met.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Casio G'zOne C731
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad76 View Post
    Glad big red helped you out in the end, apparently they have an option whereby they can offer you a refurb for $50 if you've gone through some extenuating circumstances.

I was at the beach about 5 years ago (before I ever worked for an authorized retailer or even knew anything detailed about Verizon) and had my phone destroyed by the water. I went into a store and the first guy (the manager) said I'd have to do asurion and handed me a brochure and walked off. I thought about it for a sec and then approached another rep, who offered me exactly the same deal as the OP got. Would some corp. rep please chime in here and explain what this policy exactly is? How does this work?
    The $50 FRU fee is an obsolete fee that was applicable if the phone had "repairable damage" (including cracked LCD's/glass, broken charging ports, missing keys, cracks in housing/hinges, etc...). Liquid damage was never covered under this policy. The policy was eliminated as of ... 4/1/10 I believe. It was replaced by the option of purchasing a CPO (certified pre-owned) device of the customer's choice.

In your particular case, the manager was right to direct you to Asurion and the second rep should have never offered to do a warranty exception for a liquid damaged phone.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtudor1 View Post
    I am wondering about the deductible with Asurion. I thought that it was a flat $50 but apparently that is no longer the case. Recently a friend lost her phone, and we were only charged $34 for the replacement. At work, a co-worker lost her Blackberry and the deductible was $89.

Have they recently changed to a flexible deductible depending on the phone you are replacing?
    The $50 flat rate is gone. It used to be $4.99 flat w/ a $50 deductible on all phones, regardless of class. This has been changed for some time now. The new rates are $4.49/mo for non-PDA phones with a $39 deductible and $6.00/mo for PDA (or "Asurion-claimed "advanced") phones with an $89.00 deductible. The deductible would still of course, be $50, if the line you're making a claim under was signed up before the changed rates. The Droid, however, doesn't fall under this category.

Insurance is something to have if you ever anticipate breaking your phone and you don't want to hear the $150+ price tag quote for the grandma phone when you walk into a store. I would say that it is usually a smart thing to have on PDA phones because the average retail cost is around $600. $89 for a $600 retail phone is usually a good deal, refurb or not. Any way you look at it...Let's say you pay $6.00/mo for 9 months and you break your phone. That's $54 plus the $89 deduct. Total replacement cost of the $600 phone is...$143. So I wouldn't say insurance is all that bad. Now, in the case of the OP, they didn't want to send him a Droid because of alleged backordering issues. I agree that it is a less-than-desirable answer, although they offer a device, the Incredible, that is of higher market value than the phone that was being claimed as well as very comparable; which, I would have found to be a fair deal. Hell, if I yearned for the Droid that much I could simply just sell the Incredible at market value and buy the Moto Droid over again. But the bottom line is, insurance usually works out especially for the smartphone community.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3 _ Rooted MOAR 9
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Rooted MOAR 9
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Stock
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you really want VZW to respond to you then post your complaint here:
    http://www.planetfeedback.com/

You will get a phone call from their version of an Executive Response Team, who has authority to handle legitimate gripes.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Last 5: HTC Thunderbolt
    Motorola Droid, BB Tour, BB Storm, BB Pearl
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by doropallo View Post
    If you really want VZW to respond to you then post your complaint here:
    http://www.planetfeedback.com/

You will get a phone call from their version of an Executive Response Team, who has authority to handle legitimate gripes.
    This post is about Asurion, not Verizon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast