Thread: Simple Mobile Unlimited is not so unlimited after all

Phones
    Galaxy s3
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Simple Mobile Unlimited is not so unlimited after all

So it seems that the "unlimited" web on Simple Mobile is NOT unlimited after all. Their advertisements and web site all say "unlimited", and even their terms of service doesn't offer anything concrete on the matter.

In speaking with a CSR @ Simple Mobile yesterday after seeing a few peoples' data cut off, I was informed that their "unlimited" is actually 1000Mb of data. That is TOTAL data usage, period.

So, if it's not unlimited, then WHY advertise it as such? Couldn't this be construed as bait and switch, or false advertising?

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I knew that, or we knew that.. it's a T-Mobile MVNO. They really have no access to "unlimited" resources. I tried to tell someone else that but they didn't quite understand that. 1000MB is more than enough for most.

What we're the ones doing on their phones to use up that much data? With light browsing, constant Twitter updates in the background, 3 email accounts updating every few hours, MOTOBLUR (FB+Twitter+Myspace) Google Maps, occasional Slacker tuning/Skyfire Flash content/tethering and various network speedtests I still have a hard time getting over 1GB/1024MB and this was before I let my phone sleep on WiFi.

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phones
    Galaxy s3
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Completely understandable that it is an MVNO... Page Plus's unlimited talk and text is not unlimited, either. However, how far does this have to go before consumers stand up and say "enough"?

If GM offered a new car with unlimited gas mileage, only to find out after you buy it that you're getting about 40MPG, you'd be a little miffed, yes? It's not about only getting 1000Mb... I use Wi-Fi, and don't even bother with the data plan. It's about delivering what you are selling to the public. Not telling them "here's a peach", but giving them a lemon.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    That was posted a few times in the thread about Simple going 'unlimited'. T-Mobile android users average less than 600mb per month so 1 gig probably works for most people.

Feedback Score
    Unlimited for mvnos never is. Sprint mvnos offer more "unlimited" plans then anyone but it is a known fact that they have hard caps of 4000 to 6000 minutes (Liberty, Airlink and others.) If one wants as close to real "unlimited" as possible, avoid the mvnos, pay the higher price and get a brand name prepaid division like Tmobile, Att, Verizon or even VM or Boost mobile. They have limits on unlimited too but probably a lot higher level then mvnos. Their ability to give away gobs of non peak night/weekend and mobile to mobile minutes greatly pads their unlimited capabilities and not having to pay a middleman helps too.

But for paygo rates, mvnos beat most prepaid divisions hands down. VM, 20cpm, Boost, 10cpm, Platinum Tel: 5cpm.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Unlimited for mvnos never is. Sprint mvnos offer more "unlimited" plans then anyone but it is a known fact that they have hard caps of 4000 to 6000 minutes (Liberty, Airlink and others.) If one wants as close to real "unlimited" as possible, avoid the mvnos, pay the higher price and get a brand name prepaid division like Tmobile, Att, Verizon or even VM or Boost mobile. They have limits on unlimited too but probably a lot higher level then mvnos. Their ability to give away gobs of non peak night/weekend and mobile to mobile minutes greatly pads their unlimited capabilities and not having to pay a middleman helps too.

But for paygo rates, mvnos beat most prepaid divisions hands down. VM, 20cpm, Boost, 10cpm, Platinum Tel: 5cpm.
    The point I think that is trying to be stressed here is that if you advertise something as unlimited you can't claim that it's unlimited if you put a cap on it. Putting a cap on it means it's not unlimited. You can call it datamax® if you like, but if you call it unlimited and it's not that is deceptive advertising.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Feedback Score
    It's also called "marketing". Face it, NOTHING is truly unlimited if you want to push it to that extreme. But 5000 minutes (for example) is PRACTICALLY unlimited for MOST PEOPLE. It's only those who hit the caps or otherwise violate their terms and conditions (fair use policy) who get booted or have drama from it. I bet nobody who hit 900 megs a month on Simple or 4 gigs on Boost cdma give a rip.

Deceptive advertising? ALL advertising is deceptive up to a point. How many times do you get that juicy Big Mac in the picture rather then that soggy one sitting in the warming bin? THAT could be construed as deceptive advertising if you so argued it.

This has been and will be brought up again. There is no such thing as TRUE unlimited anything. Just how much they'll let you get away with before you run into a cap, or terms of condition that gets you tossed.

Phone
    HTC Amaze
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWirelessMan View Post
    I'd have to see that in writing on their official website, not just being told by some MLM scheme rep linking his referral website with a thousand others just like it. 1) you have to buy their phones 2) nearly all of their phones are EDGE. 3) It's cheaper elsewhere.

Feedback Score

Just wait till October 16...

Tmobile will be launching an all out attack with FIVE new plans including a new $60 unlimited talk/messaging/2gig data at 4g speeds and unlimited 2g thereafter. And they label it as such. No bs.

Your Tmobile 3g or 4g device can really stretch its legs. The Simple Mobile $40 plan is better suited for feature phones, 2G only capable smartphones (like any unlocked Att /gsm iphone) . The Tmo $60 plan bests the SM plan by being straight up and having roaming too.

SM needs to straighten up as its very own parent carrier is going to steal its thunder. I'd say the $40 plan is still a better deal then anything the Att mvnos can field at that price point though. But 3G? Nah.

Phones
    Galaxy s3
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    First of all, you are comparing apples to oranges. You are talking about how much cheaper your MVNO is than the big boys... and none of us are talking about the big boys, with the exception of T-Mobile prepaid, which imho, is a full scale game changer. At $60 per month in the prepaid arena, you're not offering much. First of all, your coverage is spotty, at best. Another one of those "gotta be near a major highway" services. We had enough of that with Boost. Second, your 4G coverage is limited to only a few select major cities. Third, at $60/month, you're just another also-ran. The part where people have to buy your phones is a death-blow.

The simple fact of the matter is this: Until Buzz Lightyear Wireless has established itself in the National Prepaid Wireless Market, we're not going to pay much attention to you. Several of us in these forums are not new to this business, by any means. You can come in here and toot your own horn all you'd like, but I've seen MVNO's come, and like Buzzkirk, I've seen them go.

What YOUR Company needs to be competitive:
    1. Better Coverage
    2. Better Prices
    3. BYOD - This is a death sentence, ask the Sprint MVNO's... they'll tell you.
    4. People who don't ruin your reputation right off the bat by spamming the most respected wireless forums on The Web.

Then, and MAYBE then, you might stand a chance.

Also, get your market plans straight if you come in here. We know the differences between contract and MVNO... so if you're gonna compare, do it right.

**Edit** I just looked.. you ARE a Sprint MVNO... wow. Good luck with that. I've never seen a sprint mvno succeed.
    Last edited by Cappii; 10-14-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: more information

Phone
    HTC Amaze
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    However, there is an MVNO that offers Truly Unlimited Talk, Text & Data with No Contracts & No Data Caps...even let's you tether, all for only $60...and that's Lightyear Wireless.
    That's nice if it's true, but the thing is, it doesn't say this on the website.

It says unlimited data with no overages. It doesn't say there's no cap, no throttled speeds, or anything about tethering. Forum users here know that if they don't say it on the website, they are allowed to change their rules down the road without being grandfathered in at a truely unlimited service. Sprint has already stated that Virgin Mobile will be getting a cap, and throttled down to 256kbs after they go over the cap, so why do you think this wont happen to lightyear?
    Last edited by Endeavor; 02-06-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Phone
    LG-G2 and LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I asked A Lot of questions before I became a Customer of this company and asked even more before I started telling others about it. The company is an 18 year old Telecommunications company that launched into wireless three years ago to try to change the way Customers are treated & to help them save money and make money. The founder of the company was the chairman of COMPTEL for six consecutive terms & the company is publicly traded which means pretty much everything they do & everything about them is of public record & able to be found. I've been a customer with them for over two years & have never been happier with a wireless company...and have saved thousands of dollars since I've been with them, as have many others.
    How To Start A Nationwide Wireless Business For Less Than $300 which is on the website. I did a fair amount of DD and you have got to be kidding.

Just like the typical MLM (like ACN) where you watch the introduction and a guy drives up to his mansion on Collins Av in a Ferrari convertible.

Your wasting your time around here pitching your little business venture but good luck with it.

Feedback Score
    Mlmvnos. Gotta love 'em (Zero 1! Zero 1!)

Feedback Score
    bump

I wanted to chime in and point out that Simple Mobile rocks for one huge reason... they use unlocked GSM phones! That's any phone from T-mo, AT&T, or a generic unlocked phone you bought on ebay... and without actually unlocking it. No stupid techy hassles to "jail break" your phone (unless you want to.)

Two more advantages to GSM phones:

1. With GSM phones you are not limited to low-end pay-as-you-go smart phones. You can get the very latest screaming fast computer-in-a-pocket -- especially if you're ditching a contract that didn't meet your needs. AND, it's not necessary to buy a new phone if you like the one you've had for 2 years with T-mo or AT&T.

2. I hate to say it but you can quit your contract early and the savings will pay for the early termination fee within a few months. Example: My contract is costing $100+ a month with taxes. My termination fee is $200. I use SM $60/m plan. I quit after 6 months, keep the phone. In 5 months I've saved $200 for the fee -- PLUS the phone would have cost me $500-600 had I bought it new. I paid $120 for it.

I don't advocate that everyone should renege on their contracts. However, mine just plain failed me. I wasn't getting $100 worth of service and no troubleshooting could fix it. I'd had enough!

P.S. There are no taxes with SM either. T-mo's no contract plans are more like $44, $66, and $78.

Feedback Score
    One possible advantage to T-mobile's no contract monthly plans: They have a new data only plan for $30/5GB, compared to SM's plan for $45/2GB.

If you are savvy enough to rig your smart phone to perform Voip calling over 4G, and to get it working smoothly (this is difficult!) you're better off with T-Mobile instead of Simple Mobile.

One more catch: you have to find a good Voip service, and it will cost you an additional $20-$40 for good service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast