Thread: why am I getting collect calls from CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES on my new VZW number?

Feedback Score

why am I getting collect calls from CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES on my new VZW number?

why am I getting collect calls from CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES on my new VZW number? The number is 866-941-6003 and it has called me several times. My VZW number is only 2 months old and I haven't even gottin one wrong number call on it.

I do not know anyone who may or may not be in prison. Yes, I checked.... all my family and friends are accounted for!

The bigger question is, how do I stop it? I thought it wasn't even possible to receive a collect call request on a cell phon to begin with?

Thanks!

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Most likely someone who had your phone number previously had a thing for correctional facilities.

A quick call to customer service should allow you to block the number.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    More than likely a number change would be a better option.

Could be that the number was recycled from a previous user or that the correctional residents are randomly dialing a Verizon cellular phone #'s in your area (all they would need is a single vailid phone # and then merely dial randomly from the same prefix).
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbears View Post
    why am I getting collect calls from CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES on my new VZW number? The number is 866-941-6003 and it has called me several times. My VZW number is only 2 months old and I haven't even gottin one wrong number call on it.

I do not know anyone who may or may not be in prison. Yes, I checked.... all my family and friends are accounted for!

The bigger question is, how do I stop it? I thought it wasn't even possible to receive a collect call request on a cell phon to begin with?

Thanks!
    I had a similar problem about 6 months ago. Only difference is I've had my number since 2002. I ended up calling the number and spoke with a representative, she couldn't tell who was trying to call me but she did say it was from a prison in North Carolina. She offered to block my number so they wouldn't be able to call again but said it wouldn't take effect till the next day. I received two more calls later that day but they stopped after that.

Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Same thing happened to my daughter this month. And she has had her number since 2002.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just block it on My Verizon.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    Droid X (2.2 rooted)
    MotoRAZR 3VmM (VIVO Monster Flash V3m) Running VZW Navigator, Skins, and MMS:)
    Motorola V710(retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon®, Great provider if you can flash your phone;<)
    Feedback Score
    I don't know.... but it is funny. LOL!!!!
    {Sorry.... I couldn't resist. LOL!!!}
    Quote Originally Posted by wabmorgan View Post
    Just updated to 2.2. All seems fine.

also.... for you root users.... one touch 2.2 root/unroot is here. (It does work.... I have rooted 2.2 via this method.)

http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tab...9209&#post9209

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Just block it on My Verizon.
    would you please provide details? there are 2 ways. one requires a subscription for a fee and one is free but Im nevef sure which is which as Ive never used either.

vtext Ive used to block text senders but never callers
    thank you
    Last edited by MountainBikerMark; 07-17-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Carriers
    Ameritech>GTE>Verizon since 1993
    Feedback Score
    Log into your My Verizon account. On the My Services tab you'll see Spam Controls. Open it and you'll see the call and message blocking. You'll be able to block up to 5 numbers. Had to do it on my son's line just yesterday. I believe I read on another thread that the block is only good for 90 days. I'd say the calls are more of a nuisance than a concern. Your number or a similar one could have belonged at some point to a friend or relative of that or another inmate in that or any other correctional facility. Just don't accept it.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    More than likely, it's just a recycled number. Kind of hard to avoid unless you stay on top of new new npa/nxx rollouts. I had my NJ for a good 8 years before finally changing it to a TX number. Within a day, I started getting calls for whoever had the number previously. You can try to block it from My Verizon and hope they get the message. I would go against a TN change unless it's a brand new nxx, otherwise, you're taking a gamble on possibly ending up with a worse number.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbears View Post
    The number is 866-941-6003 and it has called me several times. My VZW number is only 2 months old and I haven't even gottin one wrong number call on it.
    Have you tried calling that "866" number, which is to "Correctional Billing Services"?

My very limited experience is that prisoners are only allowed to call numbers for which they have had pre-approved. Basically, the person with that number has to give written permission, and that is kept on file. I would think a quick call to the "866" number, or an email, should get you to an administrator, who will gladly remove your number from any/all prisoner's pre-approved list.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If your number was ported to a landline at some point by someone who owned it, that could allow it to pass LIDB validation for collect calls (most cell numbers won't pass and the call will never proceed past validation).

Listen carefully to the full announcement from the system, it should say something like "to accept charges, press 1; to refuse charges, press 2; to permanently block all future calls from this correctional facility, press 3"

Pressing three should immediately block any future calls from that single facility, if you want to block all calls from all jails/prisons serviced by that company, just call them and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Have you tried calling that "866" number, which is to "Correctional Billing Services"?

My very limited experience is that prisoners are only allowed to call numbers for which they have had pre-approved. Basically, the person with that number has to give written permission, and that is kept on file. I would think a quick call to the "866" number, or an email, should get you to an administrator, who will gladly remove your number from any/all prisoner's pre-approved list.
    Inmates at jails are usually allowed to call anyone who will accept the charges, prison inmates often (but not always) have a pre-approved list of numbers they can call. Every jurisdiction varies, some calls are prepaid and not collect, but no matter what getting the number blocked from future calls is a quick and simple process.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score