Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Official "I got the Samsung Vibrant," Thread.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Barnacle WiFi tether Legacy works perfectly.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hello,

I'm looking to get this phone. I haven't been to the T-mobile store to check it out yet, and won't get a chance to til Wednesday or Thursday.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install HTC Sense onto this phone? I do plan to root it if I get it.

Thanks.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Does Vibrant have "samsung studio mode" in USB setting?
    If so, tethering should work with Cradlepoint router.

Optimum/Cablevision

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    1) This supports Euro GSM bands and the 2100mhz 3G europe band.

2)Yes, if you root you can install wi-fi tether or use PDA net (USB) if you dont want to root.

3) The $20 Total Internet wont work, but CS can add a Pref android plan for $20. You loose the the Hotspot wi-fi feature (at Starbucks, Kinkos...ect) don't know if you use that....

Thanks!

1) That's good to know.
    2) Is it difficult to "root"? And what about Bluetooth connectivity? Is T-Mo openly allowing tethering with this phone, with no intent to block?
    3) Right now, I pay $40 for 1500 minutes, $20 for total internet, $5 for 400 messages, and $5 for international discounted dialing... for a total of $70. If I were to get the Vibrant, all I should do is substitute the total internet for the "pref android plan" (which like you said is $20)? So my bill would pretty much be staying the same?
    ~Paul

The poster formerly known as S2kDriver

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    About wired tethering, try samsung moment USB driver/application
    Use "USB debugging mode" Settings->Applications->Developers when you're ready.
    Hi Scottish, I don't know if you remember me. I remember you posting in the TM506 thread. I still have this phone. I was able to tether my laptop with it last year. I haven't tried tethering since then, but I've read people complaining that T-Mobile OTA updates and/or the SE updates cripple tethering. Do you know if T-Mo is going to be a pain with the Vibrant too, or is T-Mo openly allowing tethering with the Vibrant? I'm not in the mood to hack or do workarounds to keep my tethering ability if I get the Vibrant lol.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17 Skyfire/2.0)

Quote Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
    About wired tethering, try samsung moment USB driver/application
    Use "USB debugging mode" Settings->Applications->Developers when you're ready.
    Hi Scottish, I don't know if you remember me. I remember you posting in the TM506 thread. I still have this phone. I was able to tether my laptop with it last year. I haven't tried tethering since then, but I've read people complaining that T-Mobile OTA updates and/or the SE updates cripple tethering. Do you know if T-Mo is going to be a pain with the Vibrant too, or is T-Mo openly allowing tethering with the Vibrant? I'm not in the mood to hack or do workarounds to keep my tethering ability if I get the Vibrant lol.
    I have no problem tethering with most smartphones including Behold II even before rooted.

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17 Skyfire/2.0)

I have no problem tethering with most smartphones including Behold II even before rooted.
    Ok thanks - so I guess the TM506 crippling issue was just a special case? Actually, I assume it was because there was no "special" data plan for the TM506 like there are for smart phones, that T-Mobile thought people would find loopholes with cheap data plans. This is why T-Mo disabled tethering on the TM506, right?

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; zh-tw; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ok thanks - so I guess the TM506 crippling issue was just a special case? Actually, I assume it was because there was no "special" data plan for the TM506 like there are for smart phones, that T-Mobile thought people would find loopholes with cheap data plans. This is why T-Mo disabled tethering on the TM506, right?
    The TM506 thing is all about customize file. I just change it and reload, same situation with equinox.

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro 2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; zh-tw; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The TM506 thing is all about customize file. I just change it and reload, same situation with equinox.
    Right, the workaround you mentioned was needed because T-Mobile discouraged tethering on the TM506. But for the Vibrant, tethering is officially supported with no intent to block tethering, correct? Thanks.

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question

A couple of more questions...

4) I read somewhere that receiving and making calls is not possible during tethering. Is this true? If so, it would be a major letdown. If I'm away from home and working, I would like to be tethered to my laptop all day and can't afford to not have calls come through.
    5) Better to do Even More Plus plan for $499 over the Even More plan for $199, since I hear the monthly plan is cheaper, thus you save more money over the long run? Also, I currently am using the Sony Ericsson TM506 with the grandfathered 1500/$40. Can I carry over this plan with the Vibrant?

Thanks.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Right, the workaround you mentioned was needed because T-Mobile discouraged tethering on the TM506. But for the Vibrant, tethering is officially supported with no intent to block tethering, correct? Thanks.
    My guess is tethering is not supposed to be used on $10 web2go basic.

BTW, did anybody try to use Vibrant to tether with Cradlepoint router? Use Samaung kies USB mode and see. I tried behold II and tether with Cradlepoint router and it worked.

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question

Just picked up the Vibrant from a T-Mo store. I see it takes a micro SD card. Is there a limit to the size I can put in, or is the limit simply whatever the largest card is out at the moment?

Phone
    myphone4S
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
    Just picked up the Vibrant from a T-Mo store. I see it takes a micro SD card. Is there a limit to the size I can put in, or is the limit simply whatever the largest card is out at the moment?
    I have read somewhere that it was 32 Gb.
    Anything not made in China is counterfeit!

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa View Post
    I have read somewhere that it was 32 Gb.
    Ah ok thanks. Yea I just realized the Vibrant has like 14 GB built-in memory anyway and it will take me a bit to reach a point where I need more expandable memory.

Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question

If I want to transfer files (photos, songs, videos, etc) from my computer (running Windows XP/7) to the Vibrant, do I just connect the USB cable and the computer sees the Vibrant as a drive letter? And if so, where on the phone would I copy files to?

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned in the manual as I'm sure many non tech inclined people would want to do this. The box didn't come with a CD with software on it either, nor a detailed user guide (just a "starter" guide).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast