Thread: return policy for ST phones at Wal-Mart

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Mine)
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Wife)
    Carrier
    Page Plus! TnT 1200
    Feedback Score

return policy for ST phones at Wal-Mart

Can you return a ST phone to walmart if you are unsatisfied with it? If so, how long do you get? I wanted to test drive straight talk before committing and porting my line over.

Thanks!

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Verizon coverage is pretty solid, if you are using PagePlus right now and not roaming you should be fine on ST. Every walmart handles the prepaid phones differently. If you have a legit reason for returning it, I would say up to 3 months... but they might make you exchange it instead.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusuncc View Post
    Can you return a ST phone to walmart if you are unsatisfied with it? If so, how long do you get? I wanted to test drive straight talk before committing and porting my line over.

Thanks!
    No one has reported being turned down by WalMart for a return. You might want to give (make up) a reasonable reason for being dissatisfied. You need to ask the department head what that stores return policy is, as it seems to vary with each WalMart store.

If you decide to swap phones DO NOT run the return through the cash register as this deactivates the phone before you can transfer remaining service to the new phone.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Mine)
    Blackberry Curve 8330 (Wife)
    Carrier
    Page Plus! TnT 1200
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I'm on PagePlus now, but various connection issues. I'm hoping that ST is better, but who knows.

- phone calls, but the phone never rings
    - voicemails that are left, but no notification or ability to get them for several days
    - etc..

Carriers
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Feedback Score
    30 days with receipt. Phone only, after you buy the airtime that is non-returnable.

Don't ask me how I know this.
    My Phones: Nokia 1100b (Tracfone), Kyocera 1135 (US Cellular), Kyocera KX-9 Milan (2, both US Cellular), Samsung Smooth (VZW), Pantech C120 (Red Pocket Mobile, previously Cingular), Motorola W175 (Tracfone)

Gone but not forgotten: Kyocera Soho (US Cellular), Motorola C139 (Cingular), RIM Blackberry 8707v (Unlocked, AT&T)

Feedback Score
    Apparently the bar code on the packaging is very important. I returned a LG220C within 2 weeks with receipt.
    Everything was with the phone except the packaging.
    They would NOT accept the phone without the special bar code that was on the packaging and in turn I was not reimbursed.
    So...you may want to keep the packaging just in case you decide you want to return it to Walmart.

Vmill
    Last edited by vmill; 07-16-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmill View Post
    Apparently the bar code on the packaging is very important. I returned a LG220C within 2 weeks with receipt.
    Everything was with the phone except the packaging.
    They would NOT accept the phone without the special bar code that was on the packaging and in turn I was not reimbursed.
    So...you may want to keep the packaging just in case you decide you want to return it to Walmart.

Vmill

Imagine that, a retailer requiring the packaging for a product being returned...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chasham View Post
    Imagine that, a retailer requiring the packaging for a product being returned...
    Better yet! Imagine returning it and not being reimbursed! (I suspect he means that he failed to return it)

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I do not think you need the packaging and he should have tried another WalMart or asked for a manager who is knowledgable. When they scanned the package at the cash register during purchase, all the information should have gone on to the receipt (or on file). When you return an item they only scan your receipt and without them doing anything else the return is credited to your credit card and a return receipt is printed for you. It`s all done automaticly from the receipt.

Phones
    LG VX10000 Voyager Titanium
    LG VX9900 enV Silver (Retired)
    LG VX6100 (Retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    30 days with receipt, packaging and all materials (manual, charger, battery, etc.) included. Also, the phone needs to be in "like-new" condition (i.e.: no cracked screens, water damage, etc.). Basically, you need to return what you purchased.

Of course, the store *can* make exceptions for whatever reasons they want - however, if they are following policy (and they expect to get reimbursed for the equipment), these are the criteria they are supposed to follow. They *may* make an exception for your case, but I wouldn't risk it.

As for airtime - as long as you have your receipt and are within 30 days of purchase *AND* the card does not show it has been redeemed - you are allowed to return the airtime. This may vary by store (some stores may have a localized "no return" policy on airtime cards). When the cashier scans the airtime card for return and swipes the card through the register, it'll show him/her if the card has been redeemed. If the card is showing that it's been redeemed - there is NO WAY to legitimately override the register to do a return (there are illegitimate ways of doing this, but none of those ways will turn out good for the cashier doing the return or for the store - the store simply will NOT EVER be reimbursed if they refund a card that scans redeemed.) All airtime cards say "No refunds" on them - so the fact that (most) stores give a refund on unredeemed cards is just a bonus.

Phones
    Samsung R451C
    LG vx9800 The V
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    i just bought a phone on ebay and its looks brand new, only problem is i dont have a box. i only want to exchance it so i can get the t401g. you think they would take the phone?

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I would think that since they scan the phones at check-out for activation. They should have a way to track which store sold that particular phone. Whether they use that ability, I don't know. Did you buy it from them? No. Should you try to return it to them? I would say let your conscience be your guide.

Carriers
    Red Pocket Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i just bought a phone on ebay and its looks brand new, only problem is i dont have a box. i only want to exchance it so i can get the t401g. you think they would take the phone?

People like you are the reason why companies are becoming almost impossible to return things to.

No, they won't take your phone. Read the thread, they require the receipt and packaging.

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is that picture from the episode "The Drumhead?" Not TNG's best episode, but it did produce some great stills.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    A long time ago, before returns got out of hand, the Sporting Goods manager at one of the local WalMarts stated he would accept anything they sold in his department for exchange, even if it didn`t come from WalMart. That lasted maybe one year.