Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Droid X - Screen Failure Issue

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    bahah. Moto and Verizon rushed this POS out the door. What happened to testing everything extensively?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    bahah. Moto and Verizon rushed this POS out the door. What happened to testing everything extensively?
    Wow...thanks for adding to the discussion in such an intelligent and thoughtful manner.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    hey hows your blackberry, does the camera rattle when you tap it, because many do and are "designed" to becasue blackberry uses cheap camera. ohh what about the trackpad is it flush or is it tilted for "right handed users". You can't talk about testing or quality control, don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house

Feedback Score

No issues

Bought 2 Droid X's from Best Buy on launch day. No issues so far. Planning to monitor closely next few days.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I myself was unfortunate on the first day of launch or should I second. I ordered mines 8:00am release day from internet sales with a total cost $99. (-100 no rebate + -100 ne2). Was excited when arrived friday morning at the office. After activation I made a phone call, but could not hang up the call once finish. The screen would not accept any of my touch functions. Press the power off buton but will not accept my touch. I pulled the battery then replaced after 2 min. Played around with the setings tried to set the weather with my zip code locked up again, no touch functions cant shut down no volume no response period. by 10pm called tech support was told to do a full reset. Long story short after all the troubleshooting same thing after 3mins of play. I had to leave for Baltimore from NY. so I had no phone at all for the day.

Now Saturday morning in Baltimore with a non working X I called 9am for tech help again. They dermined it's a defect and suggest I return it to a near Verizon location, If I return to them I have no phone for a week being that it's sold out. No way was I going to be in another state with no phone for 3 days. I asked could she check in the Baltimore area to see if any may be in stock. She recommended me the nearest store which was catonsville but could not see the stock level. Once I arrived at the store I asked the first sales person I saw I asked were there any X's left? He's reply was "that depends" then he says "we have a few left". So after tech support read the notes and also verified the issue he went in the back for a replacement then came back out in 2mins stating we don't have any more. well maybe I'm but if I was making a purchase chances are they had as many as I want.

Anyway, the Tech got on the phone and called another store which was located in columbia and they stated they had 17. He asked if they could hold one for me and gave them my name and said I was directly on my way there. took me less them 30min to reach. The place was crowded, everyonen seems to be eyeing or playing with the X, my name is number 7 on the sign in board. The whole time I was saying this is not looking good, plus the tech never got the name of the sales person that stated they will hold the phone for me.

45min my name was called, I explained the issues, stated it was in the notes from this morning, just came from another store that sent me here with a promise that someone stated that one will be held for me. He went to the back and came out in about 2min with a replacement, then sat it up, and I made a few test phone calls and it works well.

It turned out to be a bad experience that turned out well in the end. I'm very glad I did not had to wait an extra 10 to 15 days. In the end I'm a first time smartphone user and I won't look back. i am really impressed.

For those of you with issues of any sort I can only hope they could get you back into the phone of your choice sooner then stated. I wish u well.

Feedback Score
    I received my phone on Monday and this afternoon the screen started blinking like a strobe light. The bottom third of my screen had a flashing thin line all the way across and ever so often the top part of the screen, where the battery and clock is will be flashing on the bottom half of the screen. It is headache inducing.

I tried a soft reset, didn't help. Call tech support and they were very nice. They are shipping me a new phone on 8/3 and thankful are letting me keep this one until then. I hate I won't get a completely workable phone for a few weeks but at least I have a phone to make calls with. My old Palm Centro died last week so I did not have a phone to go back to.

He said it was 3rd call today for the issue. I am glad they were so helpful and had no problems in ordering me a new phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momofaj View Post
    I received my phone on Monday and this afternoon the screen started blinking like a strobe light. The bottom third of my screen had a flashing thin line all the way across and ever so often the top part of the screen, where the battery and clock is will be flashing on the bottom half of the screen. It is headache inducing.

I tried a soft reset, didn't help. Call tech support and they were very nice. They are shipping me a new phone on 8/3 and thankful are letting me keep this one until then. I hate I won't get a completely workable phone for a few weeks but at least I have a phone to make calls with. My old Palm Centro died last week so I did not have a phone to go back to.

He said it was 3rd call today for the issue. I am glad they were so helpful and had no problems in ordering me a new phone.

I also ordered a replacement yesterday as well, and will be keeping my phone until it arrives (7/27 hopefully). My flickering is intermittent though, and is only on the bottom half of the screen. You should try a factory reset, because my screen was flickering non stop before I did the fact reset, and afterwards, although it is still flickering, it now just comes and goes randomly.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks like Moto/VZW have confirmed the flickering issue (via engadget):

"Verizon Wireless and Motorola are aware of a very small number of DROID X units that have experienced a flickering or banding display. Motorola has resolved the issue and is continuing to ship the phones. Any consumer who experiences a flickering or banding display should contact a Motorola customer support center or Verizon Wireless."

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a cable connector problem.

Device(s)
    Samsung Facinate
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My money is on a bad flex cable. Seems like 9 times out of 10 intermittent problems are a bad flex.
    GOT ROOT?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Got mine on launch day directly from a VZW store. No issues as of yet...

Feedback Score
    For those having the screen issue I have a question.

has your screen been getting better?

Mine had been getting progressively worse to the point that even writing a text message had become fairly difficult with the whole screen flickering and ghosting. This morning the phone seemed to be doing ok with only a little flicker. Now the phone seems almost normal. With the line of "dead" pixels only seeming to lightly flicker and most times displaying perfectly normal.

I am still waiting for my replacement phone to show up. I was told it would ship on the 27th and now i worry that i will end up shipping a perfectly fine phone back for warranty claim verification only to have them be like WTF this phone was fine.

I mean the way it's acting today i'd expect even that light flicker on only one line to stop as wel LOL.

Anyone else using their x while waiting for a replacement notice anything similar?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lscyal8r View Post
    For those having the screen issue I have a question.

has your screen been getting better?

Mine had been getting progressively worse to the point that even writing a text message had become fairly difficult with the whole screen flickering and ghosting. This morning the phone seemed to be doing ok with only a little flicker. Now the phone seems almost normal. With the line of "dead" pixels only seeming to lightly flicker and most times displaying perfectly normal.

I am still waiting for my replacement phone to show up. I was told it would ship on the 27th and now i worry that i will end up shipping a perfectly fine phone back for warranty claim verification only to have them be like WTF this phone was fine.

I mean the way it's acting today i'd expect even that light flicker on only one line to stop as wel LOL.

Anyone else using their x while waiting for a replacement notice anything similar?
    I am waiting for my X as well because my current one is having the flicker issue. Mine exp is similar to yours. When i first got it, it was flickering non stop on the bottom half of the phone. Did a factory reset, and the flickering became almost non-existent, but it still happens occasionally.

Regardless, I called VZW and explained my situation and said that it flickers once in awhile but I dont want to take a chance of it acting up again once i am out of my 30 days. So they exchanged mine via the "worry-free guarantee." Done and done. The phone they get back may or may not exhibit the issues I experienced, but I know that I saw them and I am not trying to pull a fast one, but that is not my concern, my only concern is getting a phone that doesnt have any defects.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My Daughter is getting her's shipped to her 7/26. She is living out of state on our family share plan. Does any one know if she should 'play' with it BEFORE actually activating it? She's military and communicaions 24/7 is utmost and I'd hate to see her get stuck.!

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    OP Update - called and ordered my replacement from Verizon on Wednesday 7/21 and recieved my shipping notice today Sun 7/25. When I ordered I was told the ship date was 8/3 - either they are ahead of schedule or are moving replacements up in line.

Only bad news is I am out of town till Wednesday afternoon so the phone will beat me home!!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast