Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Captivate: Reception Terrible Problems!!!

Feedback Score

Angry Samsung Captivate: Reception Terrible Problems!!!

Forgive if posted elsewhere but I am now on my second unit from ATT (forst one brought back) and oh mylord does the reception suck unbelievably!!!

Is anyone lese having this problem?

Seems to be the same case as the iphone ...touch the bottom part of the phone and zero bars snap in quicker than you can turn to look at your screen!

Sad because I think this phone is absolutely by far the best I have had yet in hand to date (including the iphone)

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Bogus - you should read various reviews and posts. Users are noticing a bars reduction, but they say they can still make and hold calls with 0 bars.

This phone probably has the opposite of Steve Jobs old fraudulent bars.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Phone
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You are probably getting an accurate representation of your ACTUAL signal with the Samsung Captivate.
    Google Nexus 5

Phone
    Main: Black iPhone 4 32gb, Back-up: Black iPhone 3G 8gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & unfortunately AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The signal is fine, as Badilocks said, its probably the CORRECT representation of the signal

The GPS lockin and signal is another story with the galaxy phones... I really hope a fix is out soon

Phones
    iPhone4 16GB
    Blackberry Bold (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I897/I897UCJF6 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Man. Yall complain abt everything! Im currently sitting on 1 bar and havin no issues.
    -Cell Phone user since 99
    -Nokia 252 (@ rents), Qualcomm 860 (@ rents), samsung a310 (sold), motorola i50s (@ rents), motorola startac 7868sw (@ rents), LG vx4500 (@rents), LG VX9800 (sold), LG VX8600 (@rents), HTC Dash (sold), Motorola Q9H (i have it), Blackberry Bold 9000 (sold), iPhone 4 (RETURNED), Samsung Captivate (current, rooted)
    -NRA, MOC, MGO, GSSF Member, Certified Glock Armorer

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's actually not accurate, Zero bars is more like 1-2 bars until you completely drop service. The Galaxy S line of phones actually have good reception, better than the iPhone I replaced it with.

Hopefully Samsung will fix this in a later software update.
    Google+ - Add me!
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12
    Miserable Sprint Customer since '14
    T-Mobile 2G to 4G cities/highways

Feedback Score
    Having some reception issues with my captivate too. When sitting next to my coworkers att phone my captivate pulls -111 dbm while his pulls -87 dbm. Although I found that pulling my battery and sim card then putting them back in improves my
    reception greatly for a time. I don't know what that implies. Right now I'm getting between -51 and -87 dbm. Right before I pulled my battery and sim it would not go above -111.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zysoclaplem View Post
    Having some reception issues with my captivate too. When sitting next to my coworkers att phone my captivate pulls -111 dbm while his pulls -87 dbm. Although I found that pulling my battery and sim card then putting them back in improves my
    reception greatly for a time. I don't know what that implies. Right now I'm getting between -51 and -87 dbm. Right before I pulled my battery and sim it would not go above -111.
    The -dBm readout is wrong as well FYI

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Are you getting bad reception or just a low reading? If you can make calls OK then you should disregard the readings for now. Also, some of that jumping around may be switching between cell sites - although that's usually within 10 to 20 db.

Phones
    Bell Vibrant i9000UGJH2 w/ root
    Google Ion Super D 1.11 retired
    Nokia N95 retired
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranova View Post
    The signal is fine, as Badilocks said, its probably the CORRECT representation of the signal

The GPS lockin and signal is another story with the galaxy phones... I really hope a fix is out soon
    Try this for the GPS fix:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728611

Supposedly it works.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59 View Post
    Are you getting bad reception or just a low reading? If you can make calls OK then you should disregard the readings for now. Also, some of that jumping around may be switching between cell sites - although that's usually within 10 to 20 db.
    Well speed tests are affected. I just don't know if its a hardware issue or not. I really like the device. It hasn't dropped a call yet but I have lost the network in an area where att is pretty strong.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well speed tests are affected. I just don't know if its a hardware issue or not. I really like the device. It hasn't dropped a call yet but I have lost the network in an area where att is pretty strong.
    Did it say Network Error?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    The -dBm readout is wrong as well FYI
    Wow how did that slip past Samsung and ATT?
    The signal issues coupled with the GPS Issues, which I also have. My GPS will connect after 3-5 minutes of searching for GPS, but will also drop that GPS signal fairly easily. I had the iPhone 4 for a few weeks before deciding to return it for reception issues. I only have a few more days to decide whether or not to keep this phone before I am locked into a 2 year with ATT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    Did it say Network Error?
    I honestly can't remember. I was trying to connect to the XDA Forums and it just went to zero bars and lost connection.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If it reads zero bars but you can make and receive calls I would think it's a problem with how it's reading and displaying bars. If it drops out and you can't connect then it's possibly a phone problem. My house is a tough spot for reception and my gf's 3gs reads like 4 bars, but everything else reads lower. My Nexus One reads between zero and 2 bars but never drops a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast