Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with old Net10/Tracfone phones?

Feedback Score

Lightbulb What to do with old Net10/Tracfone phones?

I have a pile of used up phones. It isn't worth to sell them because you only get a few dollars at the most. I do know about phones for troops. Other than that nothing.

I wouldn't mind unlocking the Samsung slider phone, and being able to add a Straight talk card.

I'm sure If I checked I could find uses for the Lithium batteries, and have them power something.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dan93 View Post
    I have a pile of used up phones. It isn't worth to sell them because you only get a few dollars at the most. I do know about phones for troops. Other than that nothing.

I wouldn't mind unlocking the Samsung slider phone, and being able to add a Straight talk card.

I'm sure If I checked I could find uses for the Lithium batteries, and have them power something.
    There was a thread worded almost identical to yours a few months ago. You might find it to read the posts.
    You can not use a Tracfone or Net10 phone (even unlocked) with ST. ST knows their phones S/N`s and will only activate one of their own phones.

Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of older Tracfones. Not worth much.

There is a place where you can "donate" the phones for active duty military. But the actual phones are not sent to the troops overseas - they are sold - and some funds go to "calling cards" provided to the troops overseas. And how much of the actual money collected by this group actually goes to the troops is a good question.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Tracfones without minutes or time are listed on CraigsList for $10 or less. Then you have to use gasoline delivering it. The buyer then has to go through the hassle of reactivating it when he can buy a new phone with starter minutes for as little as $10.

I save the prepaid recycling mailing envelopes that come packed in TF packages to send old phones in to recycle.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dan93 View Post
    1. I have a pile of used up phones. It isn't worth to sell them because you only get a few dollars at the most. I do know about phones for troops. Other than that nothing.

2. I wouldn't mind unlocking the Samsung slider phone, and being able to add a Straight talk card.

3. I'm sure If I checked I could find uses for the Lithium batteries, and have them power something.
    1. Give them away. Give them away directly to a homeless person or to a shelter. In my town Lutheran Social Service is the lead agency for this. Give it away to a senior or technophobe and help them get it working. You *could* recycle, I guess.
    2. I don't think ST allows this.
    3. Use extreme caution ; Litium batteries are much more energetic and use flamable materials compaired to dry cells.
    Regards

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    Tracfones without minutes or time are listed on CraigsList for $10 or less. Then you have to use gasoline delivering it. The buyer then has to go through the hassle of reactivating it when he can buy a new phone with starter minutes for as little as $10.<snip>
    I've sold dozens of items on my local craiglist – including several tracfones – and never once delivered anything. Buyers always comes to me or there's no sale.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    I've sold dozens of items on my local craiglist – including several tracfones – and never once delivered anything. Buyers always comes to me or there's no sale.
    Perhaps I'm more customer oriented than others.
    Besides I don't want buyers knowing where I live.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1 View Post
    Perhaps I'm more customer oriented than others.
    Besides I don't want buyers knowing where I live.
    I have heard that a lot of Craig's List sales take place in McDonalds and Burger King so no one ends up knowing where the other lives.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    I have a bunch of older Tracfones. Not worth much.

There is a place where you can "donate" the phones for active duty military. But the actual phones are not sent to the troops overseas - they are sold - and some funds go to "calling cards" provided to the troops overseas. And how much of the actual money collected by this group actually goes to the troops is a good question.
    OP-Go to Cell Phones For Soldiers website. They are the organization that sell unwanted cell phones and buy prepaid phone cards for our military troops. You can read about the organization, print a receipt for your tax return, and even print a prepaid mailing label. Just attach the label to a bubble envelope and mail off your old tracs.

Also have sold phones on Craigs List and it is not worth the aggravaton. The buyers don't know how tracfone works, don't do any research, ask irrelevant questions, and want the phone for about nothing. Do agree with the idea of meeting them somewhere away from your home.

Feedback Score
    I also never give out my address when selling anything.

I usually meet any buyers at police station parking lot. And it is interesting how many people decline sale after I state this. Although most people are honest, there are a few fruitcakes out there.

Some I have met while selling items - try to sell ME something. Weird.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis 226 View Post
    Wow! I thought I was paranoid! I've sold items for yrs. with folks coming to my home to pick them up and have never had a problem. Of course I collect firearms as well as tracfones, but I don't think that makes any difference.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/11/...ing/index.html

There are more stories like this as well.
    I sure wouldn't let anyone come to my home or go alone to meet someone who was selling something.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127 View Post
    I have heard that a lot of Craig's List sales take place in McDonalds and Burger King so no one ends up knowing where the other lives.
    Exactly. Daytimes they meet me in the public lobby of my office building which has a security guard present; evenings and weekends I have them go to a coffee shop that is a five minute walk from my house.

Feedback Score
    If anyone has an old CDMA Tracfone they don't want I'd be happy to take it off their hands and pay shipping

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One2gofst View Post
    If anyone has an old CDMA Tracfone they don't want I'd be happy to take it off their hands and pay shipping
    I will be receiving an LG 200C from a hasty eBay purchase that I don't really have a use for. If you want to pay the shipping, you can have it. It will be active through 9/5/10. I don't know if I can determine the original owner's name and/or get his assistance at transferring registration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    I will be receiving an LG 200C from a hasty eBay purchase that I don't really have a use for. If you want to pay the shipping, you can have it. It will be active through 9/5/10. I don't know if I can determine the original owner's name and/or get his assistance at transferring registration.
    As long as I can add minutes to it that should be no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast